Wiki Posts
Search

TG'd again!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
TG'd again!

Just checked in AKL BKK and expecting the lovely 7891-2-1 seating and they have 788 with 2-2-2 substituted. They were offering J pax NZ$300 (US200) to downgrade to economy. TG are winning race for the bottom very effectively.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
USD 200 to downgrade from C to Y? They got to be kidding - I'm sure no-one fell for that "offer".

You should ask if they are prepared to UPGRADE from Y to C for 200 USD?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
TG‘s airplane lottery.

They just changed the plane for my next J flight from A350 to B747. Not happy.

Last edited by worldclubber; Apr 5, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Unlucky. Very unlucky.

The 789 has been running smoothly AKL-BKK-TPE as Mrs TK travelled yesterday AKL-BKK in the 789. All in Y so not quite a drama compared J.

I travel next week, and will be sure to ask for an upgrade Y->C for USD 200
chris63, worldclubber and kaizen7 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyingbiker
Just checked in AKL BKK and expecting the lovely 7891-2-1 seating and they have 788 with 2-2-2 substituted. They were offering J pax NZ$300 (US200) to downgrade to economy. TG are winning race for the bottom very effectively.
HS-TWB was expected AKL-BKK today, but it looks like it went unserviceable the day before on BKK-TPE-BKK rotation, and BKK-TPE was cancelled.

You were unlucky as this does happen to all airlines, just a pity 788 was used and not 350/77W.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I travel next week, and will be sure to ask for an upgrade Y->C for USD 200
I wish you the best of luck, but doubt you will be successful.

BTW, TG probably does not offer compensation when a scheduled A350 (lie-flat J, WiFi, quiet etc.) is replaced by a B744, right?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber

BTW, TG probably does not offer compensation when a scheduled A350 (lie-flat J, WiFi, quiet etc.) is replaced by a B744, right?
Correct, no compensation for aircraft changes. As annoying as this is, the 'conditions' make no guarantees about the aircraft type.

If you are carried in an aircraft with a business class cabin, then 'job done' I suppose. I am not even aware of any published compensation for downgrades. For @Flyingbiker I would guess that compensation paid to affected pax should might be something the like 1/2 the fare difference between a full Y fare return, and the paid J return. This could be quite small.

I have seen some posters suggest they'd proceed with legal action, breach of contract etc etc, but I have yet to hear of any success of such action, if it even whether or not legal action was taken. And it'd depend on the laws of the place your were flying from(and to).
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
They were offering J pax NZ$300 (US200) to downgrade to economy..
Tell 'em they're dreaming. (Australian reference from the movie "The Castle")
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Originally Posted by sydunipete
Tell 'em they're dreaming. (Australian reference from the movie "The Castle")
They didn't ask me to downgrade or offload but I overheard a conversation with the couple in front of me and that was the offer that they received, NZ$300 or fly tomorrow.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by worldclubber
TG‘s airplane lottery.

They just changed the plane for my next J flight from A350 to B747. Not happy.
Crikey that’s a nasty surprise
worldclubber likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but I overheard a conversation with the couple in front of me and that was the offer that they received, NZ$300 or fly tomorrow.
That is dreadful customer service
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have seen some posters suggest they'd proceed with legal action, breach of contract etc etc, but I have yet to hear of any success of such action, if it even whether or not legal action was taken. And it'd depend on the laws of the place your were flying from(and to).
One would hope that New Zealand had good consumer protection laws, certainly nothing would work in Thailand.....
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THAI’s conditions of carriage:

Carrier undertakes to use its best efforts to carry the passenger and baggage with reasonable dispatch. Times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. Carrier may without notice substitute alternate carriers or aircraft, and may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket in case of necessity. Schedules are subject to change without notice. Carrier assumes no responsibility for making connections
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THAI’s conditions of carriage:
Yes but in certain jurisdictions T&C’s have to be fair & reasonable otherwise they are judged to be not legally binding.

In the OP’s report, 300 NZD downgrade or fly tomorrow seems very unreasonable, what about other carriers on same day in J, TG had some time to plan for alternatives instead of just dumping on J pax
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris63

Yes but in certain jurisdictions T&C’s have to be fair & reasonable otherwise they are judged to be not legally binding.

In the OP’s report, 300 NZD downgrade or fly tomorrow seems very unreasonable, what about other carriers on same day in J, TG had some time to plan for alternatives instead of just dumping on J pax
Oh, I agree completely! The offer is so poor that I wonder if there was some other information we are not privy to.

There is an SQ flight leaving around the same time, or NZ to BNE/SYD/MEL then onwards with TG. So many other J options.

I note that the class of travel is not mentioned at all in the material that THAI has on their website.
chris63 and worldclubber like this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Apr 6, 2019 at 12:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.