Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador

I am sick and tired of the increasing number of THAI flights being parked at aprons and bussed to Immigration. I was bussed recently after a 12-hour London flight...awful. And it only ever seems to happen with THAI, not when I fly with other non-Thai carriers into BKK. Every Jakarta flight in recent memory has been a bus to Immigration. One hears the saying that it is always best to fly the home carrier to its home airport as you will always get superior service than when flying visiting carriers, well thats certainly not the case with THAI!!!

Also, why do they insist on packing out the first bus until it is absolutely chock full of passengers? Business Class passengers in Jakarta, Singapore and other regional airports are bussed away quickly in a separate bus....even in Dhaka each Business Class passenger on US-Bangla gets an individual Toyota Camry ride from the aircraft to the terminal. THAI really seem to be dropping the service standards and now they are significantly devaluing the ROP program.....seems like a campaign to drive away those pesky, loyal Business Class passengers.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I was once on an extra bus for F passengers
and once while loading the plane, they had an extra bus for business class passengers BUT....this one waited and waited and waited until the last business class passenger was in the bus, while 3 bus loads of cattle class passengers were already taken to the plane
After that i never again boarded the separate business class bus
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Agree,it’s a disgrace & a humiliation for an airline at it’s home base, the cabin crew who see the disappointment of the premium pax are also unimpressed
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
It is now pretty shocking and a very poor show for premium passengers arriving at their home base. Always a good experience when you depart BKK on TG but ever worsening on arrival back there. I haven't arrived at an airbridge on Thai in BKK for several years now.It really is the last thing you want after a 12 hour flight to be shoved onto a pretty crappy bus with mostly standing room to be thrown around by a driver who is obviously in a very great hurry. Now as a last straw they have devalued their points really badly. I have a couple more NZ to Europe trips this year on TG and after that I am heading over to SQ or EK.
chris63 and paolo64 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:19 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I regularly get the bus gates in BKK for the OZ flights to/from ICN, as well. And, no separate bus for J class on OZ, either. When UA used to fly here, bus gates were common, as well.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by chris63
Agree,it’s a disgrace & a humiliation for an airline at it’s home base, the cabin crew who see the disappointment of the premium pax are also unimpressed
Widebodies at apron positions should be an exception and not the rule. Some airlines seem to be able to handle this better ...
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
I was bussed recently after a 12-hour London flight...awful.
By whom, pray tell?

(I was taught many years ago that buses/bused/busing refer to transportation and busses/bussed/bussing refer to kissing, so I always get a chuckle when I see the kissing spelling used of transport. This is a particularly humorous example! )
Flyingbiker likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
In the last month have landed at bus gates twice, with cabin crew announcing this a few minutes before landing and the usual reason of no gates to park at. Second time landed at 0420 and would estimate that more than half of the gates were available.

On both occasions bus was available for business class passengers; first time it was used exclusively for business class passengers; second time every man and his dog got aboard with the kind help of the ground staff. As the only farang in business class (two Japanese and the rest Thai) I politely waited.

Anyway my wife and myself were first through the autochannel and luggage was waiting so from getting off the plane to arriving home took about 40 minutes.

There have been a few threads on this topic before with reasons why Thai use bus gates as much as they do.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I agree. I've grown to dread the TG bus gate arrival, it is always an unpleasant experience. This, along with the aircraft swaps, is one of the main reasons I prefer flying OALs into BKK.
Originally Posted by 1984SW
I regularly get the bus gates in BKK for the OZ flights to/from ICN, as well. And, no separate bus for J class on OZ, either. When UA used to fly here, bus gates were common, as well.
Both carriers (OZ, UA) on the cheap end of the spectrum. I've never gotten a bus gate at BKK on CX, SQ, or BR.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber

Widebodies at apron positions should be an exception and not the rule. Some airlines seem to be able to handle this better ...
Most airlines are handling things better than TG..... it must be costing them pax, I avoid them wherever possible now
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chris63
Most airlines are handling things better than TG.....
Yes, it's absolutely not a gate shortage.

So does TG do this to avoid airport fees for gate usage, or because somebody's cousin operates the bus concession?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:39 pm

I’ve taken 465/66 (MEL) a few times recently: the last 2 I was amazed that NO BUS required, as the previous 30 or 40 had a bus.
I try to board last, regardless of class of travel. That doesn’t work well on TG ex BKK because you end up on the bus waiting for stragglers, with the doors open and horrid fumes coming in.
Do they believe that this bus arrangement is good enough when people are departing on longish intercontinental flights, or is it they just don’t care?
chris63 and magnus.ant like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, it's absolutely not a gate shortage.

So does TG do this to avoid airport fees for gate usage, or because somebody's cousin operates the bus concession?
It’s amazing Thailand so I imagine your right on both counts
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa

By whom, pray tell?

(I was taught many years ago that buses/bused/busing refer to transportation and busses/bussed/bussing refer to kissing, so I always get a chuckle when I see the kissing spelling used of transport. This is a particularly humorous example! )
Your expecting the OP to Kiss & Tell ????
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: BRK-B
For your information, even on an A380 flight to LHR, occasionally its a BUS gate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.