Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I happen to prefer remote stands to jet bridges (on arrival only) at airports in which the buses drop off close to immigration or baggage claim. In some cases, this saves a considerable amount of walking.

My SOP for remote stands on departure is to take the very last bus because I'd much rather wait in an air conditioned terminal than on a plane on the tarmac that probably doesn't have a power hook up.
andyptrav and kaffir76 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
TG404 SIN-BKK on 4-28 boarded a little late, but pulled back on time. Arrival in BKK at C1, which is one heck of a slog to to get to immigration. About 10 minutes in the immigration line and then to carousel 6, another bit of a walk. Bags were waiting for us. For BKK, it was a pretty good arrival experience.
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
TG607 from HKG arrived at A2 jetbridge, then a walk down the steps to a cobus, long drive past D for the bus to turn around & then line up to drop us off, awful arrival experience but that’s TG, J cabin less than half full on A359, maybe like me pax are trying to avoid TG.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by chris63
TG607 from HKG arrived at A2 jetbridge, then a walk down the steps to a cobus, long drive past D for the bus to turn around & then line up to drop us off, awful arrival experience but that’s TG, J cabin less than half full on A359, maybe like me pax are trying to avoid TG.
I used to fly TG quite frequently in J HKG-BKK or even HKG-BKK-Europe. I travel with fairly heavy HBO and am not so young. After several bus arrival, I abandoned TG for (more expensive CX). Walking down the stairs in the heat with heavy hand luggage, then waiting in bus, long drive,is too unpleasant.
andyptrav likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
I used to fly TG quite frequently in J HKG-BKK or even HKG-BKK-Europe. I travel with fairly heavy HBO and am not so young. After several bus arrival, I abandoned TG for (more expensive CX). Walking down the stairs in the heat with heavy hand luggage, then waiting in bus, long drive,is too unpleasant.
Indeed, I’m not a Spring Chicken anymore & there were elderly pax & pax with young children in J, as you say the walk down the stairs in that heat & packed into a cobus, simply isn’t a business class experience, add to that for an arrival at TG’s home base it’s a disgrace

I would much prefer CX but there is a significant price difference & I am unable to justify that for my expenses, given choice it would be CX & Ex BKK where they are lower cost that’s what I happily go for
andyptrav likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chris63
TG607 from HKG arrived at A2 jetbridge, then a walk down the steps to a cobus, long drive past D for the bus to turn around & then line up to drop us off, awful arrival experience but that’s TG,
Sounds just like my last TG BKK arrival. The extra long drive so the bus can turn around is just a bonus!

Wish EK had more dailies on this route
chris63 and andyptrav like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by brunos
I travel with fairly heavy HBO and am not so young.
why not check your bag? I've never experienced any theft or long waits when flying TG? The other benefit to checking your bag is that you can board whenever you please without thinking about bin space. I certainly don't want to sit inside the metal tube any longer than necessary on hot days
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I have 4 TG sectors over 4 days later this week, all in Y. I’ll pay attention to the the gates etc and report back my experiences.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:28 am

A barefaced lie from Thai. Never seen a business bus , covering a period of 25+ years and dozens and dozens of unsegregated buses. Lies, pure and simple.
Edit to add: in response to the email received by Thai-Kiwi ( Jul 1)
Further Edit to correct: email to Thaikwai ( July1) nit ThaiKiwi

Last edited by paolo64; Aug 11, 2019 at 2:33 am
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
why not check your bag? I've never experienced any theft or long waits when flying TG? The other benefit to checking your bag is that you can board whenever you please without thinking about bin space. I certainly don't want to sit inside the metal tube any longer than necessary on hot days
As mentioned I am not young and travel for business and leisure extensively, mostly J or F. I have had my share of 'delayed' bags that did not show up at carrousel. It is not often, but the penalty is huge. I just went to Bali and we landed after big Garuda and Qatar planes. My wife insisted on checking a bag. We took 2 min to go through DPS immigration (being old help), but waited 1h15 for bags to start being delivered. Admittedly, this is not TG but illustrate the benefit of HBO. Not so long ago we flew TG in paid F to CDG. A very-top TG executive was on the plane and we became friendly. The F bags were delivered last, well over an hour after we landed. The TG station manager explained to the top executive that CDG handlers were requesting a "bonus" that TG was not willing to pay, therefore...

These are anecdotes, but we you add 30 years of extensive travel, I will never take the risk if it can be avoided. Plus you gain significant amount of time by avoiding the check-in desks and the carrousels wait.

Anyway, it is sad that TG has gone downhill so much. Ten years ago, it was the preferred way to fly to Europe from HKG for me and my staff. Good value in F decent product at a cost below CX J. Nowadays, it is so inconsistent that it deterred premium transit pax and F primarily .caters to *A awards and some TVIP. Today I can fly QR superb J at a price comparable to TG and avoid the silly hassle of BKK transfer. On all European and Asian airlines, transfer business pax represent a large percentage of longhaul business cabins., TG has lost that traffic.

I am free to vote with my feet, so this is not a rant but a factual observation. I am sad that TG has gone down with silly policies including pricing and yield management.

PS to Paolo64:: Their "business" bus is simply the "first" bus. First no as "First class", but as "First to leave". But they wait until it is filled, with Y pax, to depart. In my last trip, I had to stand up as the very few seats were already taken and it was a long and painful wait and ride.

Last edited by brunos; Aug 11, 2019 at 6:38 am
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: Krisflyer Solitaire
I am also very frustrated with the frequent bus gates with Thai for arrivals and even departures (often with flight delays due to slow boarding). I will now avoid flying Thai long haul to Europe via Bangkok just to avoid this hassle. On my last trip, the bus air conditioning was defective so everyone was sweating in the heat. As mentioned above, another irritation is no special treatment for J/F class except first to board bus-Thai will lose more premium passengers!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: TG Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
I recently waited 45 minutes for my bag at LHR after the first bags arrived. Priority bags came out dead last and this is my third such occurrence in about one year. On the return journey to HKT ditto. One pays £3,300 for this!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by andyptrav
I recently waited 45 minutes for my bag at LHR after the first bags arrived. Priority bags came out dead last and this is my third such occurrence in about one year. On the return journey to HKT ditto. One pays £3,300 for this!
The topic of this tread is not LHR or HKT, but rather BKK.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timangus11
I am also very frustrated with the frequent bus gates with Thai for arrivals and even departures (often with flight delays due to slow boarding). I will now avoid flying Thai long haul to Europe via Bangkok just to avoid this hassle. On my last trip, the bus air conditioning was defective so everyone was sweating in the heat. As mentioned above, another irritation is no special treatment for J/F class except first to board bus-Thai will lose more premium passengers!
TG just don’t seem to get it that Premium pax require a Premium service, from start to finish & we have choices, until they do get that, they will continue to head towards the scrap heap.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: Thai Airways
While I do not necessarily like bus gates on departure in my experience it often if not always means that time from aircarft starting to move to take off is shorter by several minutes than if from gate. On arrival it can be much more convenient than a long walk carrying baggage along travelators which can be packed with people. From getting off the bus to clearing immigration is typically only 2-3 minutes for me.

Provided that there is a dedicated bus for BC and FC passengers, which has happened for me sometimes in recent months, then I don't have a big issue with bus gates.

Think about the positives and not just the negatives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.