Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful

Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful

Old Apr 25, 19, 2:54 am

Programs: Thai Airways
Was it deliberate or by chance that you did not walk quickly off the bus as if you were going to immigration, but took time to take a photo of a young lady?
Old Apr 25, 19, 3:08 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by maerim View Post
Was it deliberate or by chance that you did not walk quickly off the bus as if you were going to immigration, but took time to take a photo of a young lady?
Believe it or not

...the phoneís lens immediately fogged up, so I needed to stop and wipe it clean.... FT priorities ruled.
Old Apr 25, 19, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post

Believe it or not

...the phoneís lens immediately fogged up, so I needed to stop and wipe it clean.... FT priorities ruled.
Did you get her digits?
Old Apr 25, 19, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Even Juneyao airlines (and previously Spring when I flew them last year) had gates at the terminal. So cost can’t really be an issue.
Old Apr 25, 19, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Even Juneyao airlines (and previously Spring when I flew them last year) had gates at the terminal. So cost canít really be an issue.
I'm guessing there is less demand for gates at midnight.
Old Apr 25, 19, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I'm guessing there is less demand for gates at midnight.
There are plenty of empty gates just before midnight with all the TG late nights. But they donít use them!
Old Apr 25, 19, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes, it's absolutely not a gate shortage.

So does TG do this to avoid airport fees for gate usage, or because somebody's cousin operates the bus concession?
I think TG and PG use a lot of busses/vans in part because it makes it easier to use the same aircraft for both international and domestic flights. I actually do not particularly mind it as long as everything runs smoothly. Indeed, sometimes a bus or a van gets arriving passengers to immigration faster than walking through the airport might.

I am sure another part of it is that Suvarnabhumi Airport would rather sell slots at the gates to foreign carriers for a lot of money...
Old Apr 26, 19, 12:48 pm

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo;31036088[left
I am sure another part of it is that Suvarnabhumi Airport would rather sell slots at the gates to foreign carriers for a lot of money...
This, TG wonít pay & this is unusual to say the least at the carriers main hub.... TG & Swampy effectively have the same owners / controllers..... Amazing Thailand
Old Apr 28, 19, 4:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post
I think TG and PG use a lot of busses/vans in part because it makes it easier to use the same aircraft for both international and domestic flights.
PG does it really well though, with a separate bus for J pax. I think you'd see a lot less complaining here if TG did that.
Old Apr 28, 19, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
PG does it really well though, with a separate bus for J pax. I think you'd see a lot less complaining here if TG did that.
Iím often in F with TG, so that is also perhaps why I do not mind. J bus on two class flights also does not bother me much if there is no long wait on the bus.

It is true that PG does that extremely well for business class, but the other side of that is that many PG flights are all economy. Nevertheless, I have lucked out and gotten the small vans even when flying Y. Coming in from Trat a while ago, I was zipped to the terminal very quickly by van.

Of course, if checking bags, everyone is often reunited at the baggage claim. So sometimes perceived expediency results in no real time savings.
Old Apr 29, 19, 5:30 am

Landed this afternoon on TG917 bus to the area near immigration no complaints done very quickly plenty of buses waiting. Odd thing was i took a wrong lane at immigration ended up in a fast track area but the official checked my boarding pass i was flying in economy and let me through.
Thaikwai likes this.

Last edited by tg911; Apr 29, 19 at 9:57 pm
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Platinum Ambassador
Came back on TG911 from London in F on Saturday.....A380......thankfully no bus....they would have needed a fleet of buses!!!! Only 4 PAX in F and I got very lucky.....THREE portions of Caviar, first time ever!!
SKT-DK, MDOH and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 5, 19, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by maerim View Post
So sorry. I did a mistake to answer a wrong post.

Last edited by manudfaifar; May 5, 19 at 12:20 pm
Old May 5, 19, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
So, flew CEI-BKK today around noon on PG232. For what it is worth, the PG A319 has better seat pitch that the A320.

To my horror, I noticed we taxied to gate C1 which is one of the gates on the International concourses (Concourses A and B are Domestic, C-G are International - usually). Sure enough, no airbridge and instead we had the 'walk of shame' in the searing heat down the metal stairs into a bus that had the aircon set to Antarctic (or Arctic) levels of cold on full 'snap freeze' strength.

The bus then headed South (away from the Domestic Concourses), along the full extent of Concourse C, turned right (second pic at the tip of C), headed West parallel to Concourse D, before turning right again to head directly towards the middle of Concourse D (third pic), with final right turn to stop by gate D2, debussing to a domestic entry door and a cheery 'Welcome to Suvarnabhumi' !

Recalling this very thread (and the others), I had the presence of mind to remove my mittens (it was that cold), and take a few snaps with my phone to record this journey into the unknown. Of course, other intrepid travellers have been more sorely inconvenienced with significantly longer and more harrowing experiences.

I suppose the aircraft was scheduled for an international departure, and a few of our pax were also departing internationally (CIQ sticker and all).

On the 'affordability of getting a gate' question, I noted also that a China Southern B738 was parked at D4, Vietnam Air 320 parked at D3, and a THAI aircraft (i772?) at D1, and not pictured was a Malaysia Airlines 738 at C5. If MH can afford a gate in its present financial position, surely PG/TG can as well?
Dear Sir,

Please confirm my understanding. You flew from CEI(Chiang Rai) to BKK, aren’t you? That is a domestic flight. C1 is an international gate. In Suvarnabhumi airport, they use gate A and B for domestic flights. In your case, PG may have used the aircraft for an international purpose afterward. If any ground staff allowed you to use that gate, it would be illegal in Thailand. You would be in an international area without passport stamp and X Ray. If your passport is already stamped from CEI, you have to pass a X Ray check point in Suvarnabhumi.

Last edited by manudfaifar; May 5, 19 at 1:09 pm Reason: Typo on the word “domestic”
Old May 5, 19, 7:27 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by manudfaifar View Post

Dear Sir,

Please confirm my understanding. You flew from CEI(Chiang Rai) to BKK, arenít you? That is a domestic flight. C1 is an international gate. In Suvarnabhumi airport, they use gate A and B for domestic flights. In your case, PG may have used the aircraft for an international purpose afterward. If any ground staff allowed you to use that gate, it would be illegal in Thailand. You would be in an international area without passport stamp and X Ray. If your passport is already stamped from CEI, you have to pass a X Ray check point in Suvarnabhumi.

Search this Thread
    Search Engine: