Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful

Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful

Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I was just wondering if the actual difference in cost is legitimate, or just airport operator 'mark up' for convenience.

Maybe TG is taking a stand to drive lower prices?

"Legitimate" or not, my dissatisfaction with TG in this matter is that most other airlines are ready to pay this cost whereas TG are not. It's not as though they are presenting themselves a budget airline.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not the operating costs, it's the airport fees.

Not sure what you mean by "legitimate."
You answered the question. 'Legitimate' was in the sense of actual cost (does it actually cost an extra $500 or whatever to power a jetbridge into place).

If it's airport fees it's just a mark up for convenience.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.

Maybe TG is taking a stand to drive lower prices?

It’s an awfully long stand, maybe time they realised it’s not working & concentrate on being a premium carrier
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
You answered the question. 'Legitimate' was in the sense of actual cost (does it actually cost an extra $500 or whatever to power a jetbridge into place).

If it's airport fees it's just a mark up for convenience.
That's exactly what it is at most airports. And the cheapest of the cheapest systematically ask for bus gates, such as FR. TG, however, never appeared to market itself as budget no-frills airline.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Other airlines seem to have no issue paying the fees to use a gate. As several others have mentioned, TG exhibits a budget carrier attitude inconsistent with its pretensions (and ticket costs).
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
We had buses from B3 on departure Saturday, which I found mildly strange. All gates were vacant too, except for B1 and one of the A-gates..

But guess we should all just be pleased that it is not as bad as DOH, where the bus gates are at the end of each pier! :O
I think for DOH-CPH on QR, I have a 100% track record of being bussed from outer E pier
I usually get the C bus gates for DOH CPH, A bit closer to the lounges after all.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
My last bus episode was actually at an airbridge - at domestic, have had that several times. You disembark into the airbridge and go down the stairs to board the bus. Unfortunately BKK was not designed with convertible gates (too big for that I guess.)
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Another thread about bus gates at BKK, and I had to add my 2 cents worth - though I may be of the minority here ..

I actually prefer the bus to parking at the far end of the terminal & walking 10 min. to immigration. The bus drops you off right at the immigration area & I've programmed myself to always remember to make a U turn at the top of the escalators to go to Premium lanes for APEC card holders (which has since been done up with new signs & overhead banners, & 3-4 ladies standing there manning the line)

I've been lucky not to get many (or any) bus gates in the past 2-3 years, though there was a brief period before that where it seemed like I was always getting bused to the terminal.
Sure it's hot & stuff outside or freezing cold in the bus but for 5 min. I can put up with it.

And I'm not quite sure what the gripe here is - that J & F class pax don't get their own personal buses, or that the bus mgt by the airport staff is poorly executed - packing everyone in one bus while the next is practically empty etc. That also has a lot to do with the passengers themselves, no?
Everyone is trying to get off the plane & into the bus at all costs, and do you really honestly expect a petite Thai woman try to tell a large passenger that he has to stop & wait for the next bus?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I am a member of Thailand Elite and I am met with a golf cart every time I arrive at BKK so yes, I do take serious exception to the increasing number of bus gates at BKK. I cannot ever remember it taking only 5 minutes to get from the apron parking spot to Immigration at Suvarnabhumi. I do recall it taking only that long at Jakarta and Dhaka because Business Class passengers were bussed separately from Economy class passengers.

Your comments re size of people is rather strange........I am not a small person but if I was walking down the steps from the aircraft and an apron control person asked me to wait for the next bus then I would do just that. Neither my size, or the size of the individual making the request would have any bearing on my decision to comply.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
I am a member of Thailand Elite and I am met with a golf cart every time I arrive at BKK so yes, I do take serious exception to the increasing number of bus gates at BKK. I cannot ever remember it taking only 5 minutes to get from the apron parking spot to Immigration at Suvarnabhumi. I do recall it taking only that long at Jakarta and Dhaka because Business Class passengers were bussed separately from Economy class passengers.
I also will often arrange gate pick-up, and it's really frustrating to have done that and then get a bus gate. I also agree on the lack of a separate bus for F/J pax. PG does this at BKK - why not TG? (Though it's true that neither NH nor KA provides a separate bus at their home airports, either.)

The fact that TG will often park at the furthest possible gate, despite a dozen or more empty gates closer in, I've always believed also to be related to fees (i.e., that BKK charges more to park close in). I have never had a similarly long walk with CX or SQ.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Not defending TG or their increasing use of bus gates, but one factor maybe that TG runs domestic flights while OALs do not.

Bus gate allows an Intl arrival and then a domestic departure without a need to relocate the plane.
Have no idea if that is actually happening, but is theoretically a factor.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Not defending TG or their increasing use of bus gates, but one factor maybe that TG runs domestic flights while OALs do not.

Bus gate allows an Intl arrival and then a domestic departure without a need to relocate the plane.
Have no idea if that is actually happening, but is theoretically a factor.
Yes, this potential factor has been discussed many times before. But note that WE and PG also operate from Swampy domestic and international.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Yes, this potential factor has been discussed many times before. But note that WE and PG also operate from Swampy domestic and international.
Sure. I have not been on WE for Intl flights, only domestic. Do they use a bus gate? Tow over to Intl side of BKK?
I don't think Domestic side of BKK is setup for mixed Intl/Dom passengers, but maybe I am mistaken?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Sure. I have not been on WE for Intl flights, only domestic. Do they use a bus gate? Tow over to Intl side of BKK?
I don't think Domestic side of BKK is setup for mixed Intl/Dom passengers, but maybe I am mistaken?
WE use plenty of bus gates as well - and so do PG. I do not think any airline would tow from one gate to another, as they would likely incur twice the fees for gate usage plus some for the ground services to do the towing. Only time I can see this occur is in case of e.g. a long daytime layover on long-haul or overnight. Funny though, that in CPH for instance, the TG 77W usually sits at the gate from its morning arrival to its mid-day departure, so there they can obviously pay...

I believe that on of the piers on the domestic side can be used mixed, but I fail to remember which one.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
I've never encountered a problem with the busses on arrival - latest being TG408 yesterday. The busses are waiting as soon as the doors are open, Royal Silk off first as expected, into one bus with a few from economy, bussed to terminal in around 5-10 mins, then up the escalators and through fast track immigration, collect bags (already on carousel). It's more convenient than a gate arrival in my opinion, where you can be walking a very long time (or in the buggy as the case may be). I think describing the situation as "awful" is an exaggeration. It's likely a cost saving exercise, and for an airline struggling with profitability, I'd rather see these type of cuts than to staff or service...yes CX or SQ always park at the gate, but they also (usually) charge considerably more inbound.

Last edited by EGW1; Apr 18, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.