Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful

Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful

Old Sep 14, 19, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by lazard View Post
Is Thai the only airline that doesn't have enough gates for their flights? On flight to Haneda and had to get bused to plane.
When I was travelling on EY very frequently for some years, about 75% of my arrivals at AUH included apron bus.

My personal record with TG/others on international flight from/to BKK is 0% apron bus.

So the answer to your question is definitely "no".
Old Nov 4, 19, 4:41 am

TG910 (A380) 04 November was departing from Gate C2A and everyone was bussed to the aircraft. There were steps up to main deck door 1 and door 2. Business were walked up the steps to door 2, forward through the main deck to the internal stairway, then through first class to the J cabin. Can't see why the door 1 steps were not used.

It doesn't seem quite right and rather spoils the experience to load up to 500 pax on an A380 by bus and steps. Surely there were jetbridge gates available?
Old Nov 4, 19, 4:49 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by 11277m View Post
TG910 (A380) 04 November was departing from Gate C2A and everyone was bussed to the aircraft. There were steps up to main deck door 1 and door 2. Business were walked up the steps to door 2, forward through the main deck to the internal stairway, then through first class to the J cabin. Can't see why the door 1 steps were not used.

It doesn't seem quite right and rather spoils the experience to load up to 500 pax on an A380 by bus and steps. Surely there were jetbridge gates available?
Well, they do not do it just to annoy you - there are very limited A380 capable stands at Suvarnabhumi, so if you hit a bad time with other 380 flights being late, that would be the explanation. EK fly multiple a day, LH seems to do, QR do random, OZ tends to do some times as well, etc
Old Nov 17, 19, 4:49 am

TG944 BKK-FCO ( A350)...departed from C1 with a bus. They held the last bus downstairs for a good 20 minutes. It was packed, some..probably most...had been on it the whole time. 30 degrees, fumes pouring in, about to board 11 hour flight
Several of those on it, including myself, were in Business. It’s beyond pathetic, Thai...you don’t deserve our patronage...
Old Nov 17, 19, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
I was just reminded by yet another bus arrival and departure in Doha that Qatar Airways certainly gives Thai a run for the money on who use the most bus gates in their home gateway.

Though Qatar is very organised with their premium class busses.
Old Nov 17, 19, 10:38 am

This has been such a helpful thread. Thank you to everyone for their comments. I was thinking of using Thai for a leisure trip next year in May for BOM-TPE/ICN-BOM in J as they are offering very cheap J fares, but after seeing the comments, I'll look out for sales on CX and SQ instead! I wanted to highlight something I don't think many people touched on - I'll most likely be traveling with my mom who has arthritis and struggles on her bad days with climbing up steps. Given the high likelihood of getting remote parking stands for Thai flights in BKK, it would be much harder for her to get on and off the plane without stress. I know that no airline can 100% guarantee airbridges, but at least the chances of getting bus stands is much lower for CX and SQ in their home bases. For anyone who has walking or climbing issues, this could definitely be a deciding factor, and this is even before being exposed to the Bangkok heat in May!
brunos and chris63 like this.
Old Nov 20, 19, 11:49 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Bus gate today after taxiing for 10 minutes past empty gates. I asked the senior most cabin crew if there was a bus for Business Class passengers only and he just smiled and kept silent in the 'Thai' way. I said next time I will fly Indigo as only a 2 hour flight from CCU. He smiled again.

At the bottom of the stairs I spoke in Thai to one of the two ladies to ask if she could arrange a separate bus. Immediate response was no and she said there are 5 buses for this aircraft. I informed her that there were not enough passengers for 5 buses. Within 2 mins we were on our way with Business Class passengers and maybe a couple of Economy Class passengers in the bus. So saved 5 to 10 minutes which at 6 am is worth saving.
Old Nov 24, 19, 8:48 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by maerim View Post
Bus gate today after taxiing for 10 minutes past empty gates. I asked the senior most cabin crew if there was a bus for Business Class passengers only and he just smiled and kept silent in the 'Thai' way. I said next time I will fly Indigo as only a 2 hour flight from CCU. He smiled again.

At the bottom of the stairs I spoke in Thai to one of the two ladies to ask if she could arrange a separate bus. Immediate response was no and she said there are 5 buses for this aircraft. I informed her that there were not enough passengers for 5 buses. Within 2 mins we were on our way with Business Class passengers and maybe a couple of Economy Class passengers in the bus. So saved 5 to 10 minutes which at 6 am is worth saving.
Strange to see you being critical of TG, their use of bus gates simply isnít premium
Old Nov 28, 19, 12:45 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
TG410 , bus gate on arrival from SIN.... again..... A359 & the first exit door was behind J class, Iím in row 12... just made it onto the first bus because they were also letting Y pax off at the same time, had to take TG as itís the last flight of the day, just not a premium experience 😡
Old Dec 5, 19, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Platinum Ambassador
TG917 on Thursday, and TG322 yesterday, both buses, no attempt to separate Business Class from Economy on TG917, while they did at least manage to do so on TG322. To offload a 777 on to buses after a 12 hour flight is an absolute bloody disgrace.
Old Jan 18, 20, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Platinum Ambassador
...me again.......unbelievably, TG933 from Paris yesterday, bus gate after an 11 hour flight. Not a single foreign aircraft on the apron, only Thai and Bangkok Airways. This is five long haul flights in a row being bussed. My Platinum status is due for renewal again in May, and I am seriously thinking of abandoning Thai and trying to renew my BA Gold status, by using Cathay, Malaysia, and Qatar.

The shame of it is that the flight was great, nice food, lovely staff, as usual and then they blow the nice experience by bussing an A350 with a lot of very tired passengers.....its just crazy.
SKT-DK and chris63 like this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 7:27 am

Are NRT flights not really affected? I did 677 and 642 in December and January and we used jet bridges both times. I was bracing for buses after reading this forum.

Also, I imagine no one here knows yet, but I'm wondering how the situation will change when the satellite terminal opens up later this year. It could have an impact.
Old Jan 19, 20, 8:04 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Gold, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Bus Gate for TG565 from Hanoi on 30/12/19.

There was a "wheelchair" passenger in Business who had to very slowly walk down the stairs - no assistance. While we waited for this passenger the bus filled up with Economy passengers - ended up packed. There were only six of us in Business. Bus then proceeded from C Bus Gate to the Western end of the terminal before coming back to drop us off at the bus entrance. Only positive was we didn't have to walk far.

Crew just talked amongst themselves as we waited for the buses to arrive.
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:02 am
Original Poster

The crews don't care....their job is to get us safely to the destination. And, to be fair to them, they do their job very well.
Old Jan 20, 20, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Thaikwai View Post
The crews don't care....their job is to get us safely to the destination. And, to be fair to them, they do their job very well.
Sorry, but I disagree with your FA job description.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: