Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Does Vietnam Threaten THAI Air as the Major Hub Country in the Region?

Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Vietnamese Airlines Have Been Cleared to Fly to the United States

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/v...ed-states.html
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
flights to USA by its home-airline is not the main criteria for a major hub in SEA
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BinSabai
flights to USA by its home-airline is not the main criteria for a major hub in SEA
Of course it is! Didn’t you know that the US is the centre of the universe and if you have no direct flights there you are doomed? (Sarcasm may occur)
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
No, flights to the U.S. are nearly irrelevant for determining the location of the primary air hub in Indochina
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SIN is the major hub in SE Asia. BKK is second, KUL is third.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Kacee
SIN is the major hub in SE Asia. BKK is second, KUL is third.
The common factor for all three countries is the exemption from needing a visa for short stays. The Chinese have woken up to this and now have visa-free entry for shorter periods at their main hubs. Vietnam still requires that everyone has a visa AFAIK
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by RTWFF
The common factor for all three countries is the exemption from needing a visa for short stays. The Chinese have woken up to this and now have visa-free entry for shorter periods at their main hubs. Vietnam still requires that everyone has a visa AFAIK
Many countries don't need a visa for Vietnam.
Many countries still need a visa for Thailand.

China doesn't just have a visa-free entry, it has a stopover up to a week without visa. It isn't simply for transfers.

In terms of painless transfer, I cannot imagine any other place as painless (and actually fun) as SIN
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
[QUOTE=s0ssos;30867127

In terms of painless transfer, I cannot imagine any other place as painless (and actually fun) as SIN[/QUOTE]

Its a great airport but my recent transfer flights FROM BKK both on TG & SQ have required transfer security, maybe SIN is no longer trusting BKK security screening ?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chris63

Its a great airport but my recent transfer flights FROM BKK both on TG & SQ have required transfer security, maybe SIN is no longer trusting BKK security screening ?
Does SIN not have security screening at all gates (except for T4), making it independent of connecting flight origin?
BinSabai likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Exactly my thought. Any country that requires a visa, visa on arrival, or even pre-registration of some sort, is going to be at a significant disadvantage as a hub.
SKT-DK and RTWFF like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:40 am

everybody in transit at SIN has to go through security. the security is in front of the departure gate
the security check on arrival, that is sometimes applied in SIN has nothing to do with transit as also passengers with final destination SIN have to pass... I guess it is quite random and on my flights from BKK on TG it was applied on less than one in 20 flights...
SKT-DK, chris63 and windchaser777 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Does SIN not have security screening at all gates (except for T4), making it independent of connecting flight origin?
Yes, of course but this is new to my last transfers, we were corralled down one side of the arrival gate area & made to do inbound security check...
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
everybody in transit at SIN has to go through security. the security is in front of the departure gate
the security check on arrival, that is sometimes applied in SIN has nothing to do with transit as also passengers with final destination SIN have to pass... I guess it is quite random and on my flights from BKK on TG it was applied on less than one in 20 flights...
Yes, well it’s new to me & only on my last 2 inbound flights from BKK
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:01 am

Yes, of course but this is new to my last transfers, we were corralled down one side of the arrival gate area & made to do inbound security check...
Oh ok - never happened to me, but I guess they do random checks just like in certain airports you can encounter immigration police at the door of the plane too.
chris63 and BinSabai like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Oh ok - never happened to me, but I guess they do random checks just like in certain airports you can encounter immigration police at the door of the plane too.
this security check on arrival is pretty unique in Singapore and they can do it easy as they have security facilities at each gate.
Everybody is screened as it is done on departure and the water bottles are collected (on my question what logic it has to collect water bottles from arriving passengers the officers just said those are the rules and they are doing their duties. Useless to question it further in a dictatorship and police state as Singapore is).
as I said it is random and I have experienced it 3-4 times during all those years, so less than one in 20 flights on TG from BKK
chris63 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.