Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Does Vietnam Threaten THAI Air as the Major Hub Country in the Region?

Does Vietnam Threaten THAI Air as the Major Hub Country in the Region?

Old Mar 13, 19, 4:36 am

Love to see a full -on fare war between TG and VN. At the moment things are pretty tame: TG offers cheapest deals ex Saigon but VN seems to have given up completely on anything cheap ex BKK ( I had several BKK-SGN-CDG business RTN for 44,000Baht in 2017/18, but nothing remotely close these days).
Yes, VIetnam would be a good transit stop for me but the visa situation on arrival is a PITA, and though BKK is the mother of all PITAs, at least the visa waiver makes it simple from that perspective.
Old Mar 13, 19, 5:47 am

Vietnam will never threaten Thailand as a major Asian hub. Their government is so factional, and thus restrictive it will take generations to get to where Thailand is now.

And for for those who think corruption is rife in Thailand, spend a little time in Vietnam!
Unterwegs, RTWFF, timmynl and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 19, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I am not sure what is your definition of a hub. If you mean using the airport to transfer to another country, then you don't have problems at most airports.and certainly not at Vietnamese airports.
Visas may be required when you visit a country.and if you intend to visit VN then the same rules applies wherever you come from. Twenty eight countries (plus APEC card) benefit from visa exemption and many others from VOA and the process is fairly fast. But again, I don't see how that is relevant for a hub.
Old Mar 14, 19, 5:34 pm

Programs: THAI ROP SL, OZ GOLD, QRPC GOLD, SQKF SL, Accor Gold, Marriott BONVOY Gold
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Yes, of course but this is new to my last transfers, we were corralled down one side of the arrival gate area & made to do inbound security check...
This is purely my personal view (CAG - Changi Airport Group won't say why they do it, of course) but the reason for arrival gate checks after deplaning is so that it will lighten the checking load at the arrival hall where there are only a 2-3 giant x ray machines. We Singaporeans love to bring in contraband ciggies & what not - uncensored / pirated DVD's used to be a hot item up until recently.
(chewing gum is not contraband, by the way).
A pack of cigarettes sold here costs about USD10 so you can understand why some travelers try to smuggle a box or three in.
Of course, there could be some other security threats that we are not aware of but it's usually for intra-Asia flights from KUL, BKK, JKT etc. & if I recall correctly, only at T1 & T2.

Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
this security check on arrival is pretty unique in Singapore and they can do it easy as they have security facilities at each gate.
Everybody is screened as it is done on departure and the water bottles are collected (on my question what logic it has to collect water bottles from arriving passengers the officers just said those are the rules and they are doing their duties. Useless to question it further in a dictatorship and police state as Singapore is).
as I said it is random and I have experienced it 3-4 times during all those years, so less than one in 20 flights on TG from BKK
I've never had my water bottle collected the few times I've been met with security checks on arrival so that is weird.
Won't be discussing or commenting on the rest of your post though or I may end up downtown in the slammer tonight!

And the answer to the original question by OP is no
Old Mar 14, 19, 9:10 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kaffir76 View Post
This is purely my personal view (CAG - Changi Airport Group won't say why they do it, of course) but the reason for arrival gate checks after deplaning is so that it will lighten the checking load at the arrival hall where there are only a 2-3 giant x ray machines. We Singaporeans love to bring in contraband ciggies & what not - uncensored / pirated DVD's used to be a hot item up until recently.
(chewing gum is not contraband, by the way).
A pack of cigarettes sold here costs about USD10 so you can understand why some travelers try to smuggle a box or three in.
Of course, there could be some other security threats that we are not aware of but it's usually for intra-Asia flights from KUL, BKK, JKT etc. & if I recall correctly, only at T1 & T2.

I've never had my water bottle collected the few times I've been met with security checks on arrival so that is weird.
Won't be discussing or commenting on the rest of your post though or I may end up downtown in the slammer tonight!

And the answer to the original question by OP is no
you might be right or not, who knows….but the officers seem to be very sensitive about this...when I took a picture from the strange and unique arrival security, an officer approached me and enforced that I deleted the Picture
we will not get political but it is rather hilarious how certain western governments rate some Asian countries as democratic and others as a dictatorship
Old Mar 15, 19, 4:34 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Silver (VA), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
... but it is rather hilarious how certain western governments rate some Asian countries as democratic and others as a dictatorship
I rate them all as "authoritarian"
Old Mar 15, 19, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM
Interesting question.

1. Lots more tourism in Thailand but VN tourism growing rapidly.
2. Lots of Viet Kieu traffic to VN from the US
3. Bigger/better airport at BKK.
4. Easier visas in Thailand for Americans.
5. Bigger economy in Thailand
6. Bigger population in VN.
7. Much lower labor costs for VN compared to TG.
8. NH investment/alliance with VN
9. TG not yet allowed to fly non-stop to the US
10. Better economics on non-stop flights from the US to BKK or SGN than to SIN.

IMHO all of the big SE Asia airports (BKK, SGN, and SIN) will continue to grow but SGN will see the fastest growth.
Old Mar 15, 19, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
I rate them all as "authoritarian"
would agree to this term
Old Mar 16, 19, 12:10 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Exactly my thought. Any country that requires a visa, visa on arrival, or even pre-registration of some sort, is going to be at a significant disadvantage as a hub.
Vietnam does airside transit without visa requirements, and a lot of countries have visa free (and pre registration free) entry to Vietnam for up to 15 days Only requirement is that it is 30 days since last entry.

The Vietnam E visa application takes about the same time to complete as an ESTA Though unfortunately, the e-visa only offers single entry at the moment.
Old Mar 16, 19, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Vietnam does airside transit without visa requirements, and a lot of countries have visa free (and pre registration free) entry to Vietnam for up to 15 days Only requirement is that it is 30 days since last entry.
I've read the list at https://www.vietnam-evisa.org/faqs/v...g-vietnam.html. Describing it as "a lot of countries" seems rather a stretch, especially in the context of Vietnam as a "hub". Most of the SE Asian countries already have direct, non-stop links to many countries - why would their citizens "hub" through Vietnam?
Old Mar 16, 19, 4:37 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
I've read the list at https://www.vietnam-evisa.org/faqs/v...g-vietnam.html. Describing it as "a lot of countries" seems rather a stretch, especially in the context of Vietnam as a "hub". Most of the SE Asian countries already have direct, non-stop links to many countries - why would their citizens "hub" through Vietnam?
The point is still, if they are to act as a hub, people actually don't need visas. But true, the list is shorter than I remembered.
People do a lot of strange things when it comes to flights and take the longest detours over a direct flight. But the hub opportunities is not from moving people from Shanghai to Bangkok. But moving people from Europe to somewhere in the region. Doha managed to grow in to a major hub, while still requiring visas from most nationals. Problem is not so much visas or non visas, more that SGN does not have the capacity to be a hub, and it is a rather dreary airport HAN is better as an airport but I don't think it has the capacity either.
Old Mar 16, 19, 10:30 pm

as LCC is the way to fly nowadays which offer just point to point connections and no network, hubs are getting less and less important
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:18 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

as LCC is the way to fly nowadays which offer just point to point connections and no network, hubs are getting less and less important
Yes and no.

As the regional traffic gets on to more and more LCCs the hubs gets thinned out, which also makes it more important to defend them for the remaining traffic. But also, the LCCs don't just canabalise the markets, they do also expand them.

There is also more point to point with planes like the 787 and A350 on the legacy carriers, the SE Asia carries have to try maintain hubs by getting passengers in from secondary cities to their hubs, rather than passengers flying from hubs to secondary cities in their region.
Old Mar 17, 19, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
The point is still, if they are to act as a hub, people actually don't need visas. But true, the list is shorter than I remembered.
People do a lot of strange things when it comes to flights and take the longest detours over a direct flight. But the hub opportunities is not from moving people from Shanghai to Bangkok. But moving people from Europe to somewhere in the region. Doha managed to grow in to a major hub, while still requiring visas from most nationals. Problem is not so much visas or non visas, more that SGN does not have the capacity to be a hub, and it is a rather dreary airport HAN is better as an airport but I don't think it has the capacity either.
Fully agree with you.
Given distance, SEA can hardly be a hub for US pax. But the question is whether it can be a hub for Europeans.
TG used to attract a lot of transit pax between Europe and Asia. I believe that it has lost a large share of this traffic except for pax going to Thailand and for many reasons. EVen lost a share of the Thailand transit traffic because of QR and others.
Whether SGN or HAN can take a share of the Europe-Asia trnsit traffic is doubtful to me until VN grows its longhaul network and reputation.
Old Mar 18, 19, 4:23 pm

The point is still, if they are to act as a hub, people actually don't need visas.
Countries like being hubs because they can attract stopover traffic to boost tourism. Otherwise, what's in it for them? (The domestic spoke-and-hub model that works in the US isn't comparable as that was at the initiative of the major airlines). If a poor country like Vietnam is going to invest in the infrastructure that's required it's going to want a decent return. If you want to see a (relative) white elephant in terms of hub development, you need look no further than KUL

Search this Thread