Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

What Changes Would You Recommend to THAIs ROP Program?

Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:05 am
Original Poster

I recommend that THAI should consider incorporating the following ROP changes to maximize the customer experience:

1. Specify the maximum segments allowed in each direction on an award, including Star Alliance Awards.

2. Eliminate and / or change the miles required for First Class awards from origination points such as North America to destinations such as South America, Australia and New Zealand, because to travel First Class from North America to South America you have to route through Europe; and to travel from North America to Australia or New Zealand you have to travel via Europe or Asia. On Star Alliance you cannot travel First Class to these destinations except through Europe or Asia. If THAI advertises a First Class award it should either honor the award for those published miles even if travel is through Asia or Europe, or it should change the number of miles required for First Class travel if THAI feels mores miles are needed to route through Europe or Asia. It should not advertise a stated number of miles, and then seek miles for two awards if the passenger wants to travel First Class.

3. Clearly allow a connection of up to 24 hours or less without treating it as a stopover, and also consider allowing a non-stopover connection of up to 36 hours on very long flights if at least one passengers on the record is 62 years or more of age. It is a health and safety issue for elderly passengers. When an elderly person is on a long trip with very long flights, it is a substantial health hazard to require the passenger to travel continuously without proper ground rest and exercise before a very long connecting flight.

4. Clearly define backtracking, and dont treat standard connections through Star Alliance hubs as backtracking for awards if the same connection is allowed on paid tickets.

5. Clearly define backtracking, and dont treat fairly direct routings as backtracking for awards if the same connection is allowed on paid tickets.

6. In the award conditions, clearly state all taxes, fees and surcharges that apply.

7. Consider allowing an open-jaw at any point along the routing, rather than just at the origination and destination points, especially considering that award class seats are becoming more scarce, since Star Alliance nonstop flights from many Star Alliance hubs are not available to very many desired stopover cities.

8. In the award conditions, clearly state what award routings are too long.

9. Allow routing and carrier changes for a reasonable change fee, especially considering that better flights over time may become available for award travel, or the passenger may be required to change travel dates.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Am I the only one wondering what the OPs gripe against TG really is? - this entire post is just another in a tirade of TG-flaming posts. Although this one has a clear selfish motive leading me to think the OP couldnt get the award they wanted? - or had to pay unexpected taxes, or what not
BinSabai and Flyingbiker like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Am I the only one wondering what the OPs gripe against TG really is? - this entire post is just another in a tirade of TG-flaming posts. Although this one has a clear selfish motive leading me to think the OP couldnt get the award they wanted? - or had to pay unexpected taxes, or what not
You're definitely not the only one. I'm struggling a bit to understand which gripes he believes are most important as everything is in bold.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
You're definitely not the only one. I'm struggling a bit to understand which gripes he believes are most important as everything is in bold.
And everything is repeated a number of times.. Guess he just couldnt get what he wanted for his UA award paid for by credit card earnings
BinSabai and Flyingbiker like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Collecting Suggestions To Send To THAI Since Theyre Making ROP Changes

Am I the only one wondering what the OP’s gripe against TG really is? - this entire post is just another in a tirade of TG-flaming posts. Although this one has a clear selfish motive leading me to think the OP couldn’t get the award they wanted? - or had to pay unexpected taxes, or what not
THAI’s making ROP program changes:

ROP Program changes

MY SUGGESTIONS REFLECT ISSUES I RAN INTO IN USING UP MY REMAINING ROP MILES.

I have booked award travel since 1984 burning up millions of award miles for mostly business and first class international trips. It took over 2 months of E-mails back and forth to THAI to book an award to burn up my remaining THAI miles. In the past 35 years it usually takes a few phone call to book an award. Usually you look at an airline’s award rules & conditions, put the trip together, then book the award. THAI seemed to operate very differently than other airlines, and it would seem that customers should make ROP program suggestions while THAI is in the process of changing the ROP program rules. THAI may ignore the suggestions. THAI could improve its loyalty and operational efficiency if it pays attention to customer input.

I will continue to fly THAI, but will credit my miles to another Star Alliance carrier unless the ROP program becomes more friendly.

I did get a very nice First Class award booked using ANA & THAI, but I had to explain step by step in E-mails to THAI.

I want to see THAI improve & thrive, but customer input & THAI adapting must be part of that. Suggestions to THAI based on actual experiences, should be sent to THAI before its ROP award program changes are announced.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
I would never try to book an award ticket with Thai by e mail.

Call the Thai Office and the staff in my experience are genuinely helpful in my experience, at least calling BKK. Of course others will disagree and have had a different experience and perhaps I am biased having lived in Thailand 20 years.

I would suggest that someone flying BC and FC would not normally have the patience to wait over 2 months for Thai to book an award and would find a way to expedite the matter; otherwise the deal is gone and several others wanting the award would have booked it by that time.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Booking award ticket by email? a strange practice in my opinion, since we all know award seats go fast.

I find booking award ticket on THAI website is the easiest, if seats available that is, or making a call if the site shows no seat. One would get instant reply whether getting a seat or being on a waiting list. Staff are very helpful and friendly, if travel dates are flexible then they would check available dates for you. Never have issue.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Juntima
Booking award ticket by email? a strange practice in my opinion, since we all know award seats go fast.
Indeed quite bizarre - and about as naive as, say, sending a physical letter to TG head-office asking for a reservation to be made

But then again, the OPs posts in this thread are quite weird anyway so who knows...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:53 am

I don’t see any problem with accessing awards ( in any class, although Business is my ‘sweet spot”). Dealing with the Bangkok call centre has had issues over the years, but often a simple HUCA will get someone more willing/able to help/resolve/search/book. My preference is for dealing through the staff in the Melbourne office: they are brilliant and without the great help from those ladies, I would have dumped Thai years ago.
The problem with any changes : what is their motivation for these contemplated “enhancements “? Like most , I equate enhancements as really meaning rape/pillage/slash/burn/ cry “havoc” and let loose the dogs of war. IE, deep and abiding suspicion.
Thai needs to tread very carefully here: from a consumer perspective the program works pretty well. The benefits are generous but we pay a premium for that via high fares ( and most particularly when commencing in Bangkok). If the changes will reduce or eliminate the best of the benefits(, the GUP and the birthday award) even in exchange for better earnings, then I would be pretty reluctant to bother with it ( so many other airlines already offer those deals).
It seems probable that these changes have been in the making for a long time and that there is no direct nexus with the financial results ( but the likelihood is that this will be a cost containment exercise and consequently not good for members).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
I have had no real problem accessing awards ever, the great staff at the AKL office are always on the case for me and we normally get what we require with a bit of flexibility on both sides. I have had TG elite status for 20 years now and in my opinion they are the best programme around for my purposes. I really hope they don't dilute the special offers too much, if we lost the GUP and birthday offer I would be considering my options for sure. On a more optimistic note, perhaps they are going to introduce a "G status for life" for long term status members, I recall that BMI had that for 10 year members before they went bust. Dreams are free I guess!
Thai-Kiwi and uxgb like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Flyingbiker
I have had no real problem accessing awards ever, the great staff at the AKL office are always on the case for me and we normally get what we require with a bit of flexibility on both sides. I have had TG elite status for 20 years now and in my opinion they are the best programme around for my purposes. I really hope they don't dilute the special offers too much, if we lost the GUP and birthday offer I would be considering my options for sure. On a more optimistic note, perhaps they are going to introduce a "G status for life" for long term status members, I recall that BMI had that for 10 year members before they went bust. Dreams are free I guess!
G Status for life! nice one but as less and less airlines offer that i guess a bit unrealistic...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
G Status for life! nice one but as less and less airlines offer that i guess a bit unrealistic...
Never say never - SAS recently introduced just that, which nicely benefited me personally
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:01 pm

Never say never - SAS recently introduced just that, which nicely benefited me personally
what are the conditions?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
what are the conditions?
A minimum of 10 consecutive years of qualifying for Eurobonus Gold or Diamond, and only qualifying by flying counts (i.e. the Diamond privilege of being able to give away a gold card does not count towards this).
BinSabai likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:24 pm

A minimum of 10 consecutive years of qualifying for Eurobonus Gold or Diamond, and only qualifying by flying counts (i.e. the Diamond privilege of being able to give away a gold card does not count towards this).
I would have 20 years on both ROP and M&M
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.