Wiki Posts
Search

ROP Program changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet

It makes sense that it would be determined by SQ. They are sending across to TG, so-and-so earned x miles for the flight with these details.
From ROP Gold office:

Dear Mr. Thai-Kiwi

Upon checking , please be noted that the actual miles is depends on Airlines flight system to calculate the actual miles

Such as BKK-SIN on SQ operated is calculataed 880 miles and 1,100 for Business class ,

for BKK-SIN on TG operatd is 889 miles and 1,111 for Business class .

Thank you for your kind understanding on this matter .

Best Regards,
Chuthamas T.
Royal Orchid Plus Department
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by Noppasit
Is leaving to OneWorld a good idea?
What are your flying habits?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Noppasit
Is leaving to OneWorld a good idea?
Bangkok is very well-served by One World carriers: Qantas, BA, JAL, Finnair, Sri Lankan, Qatar, Cathay, China Eastern and probably some I forgot. It’s not too bad getting redemption flights to Europe, North America via Hong Kong or Japan ( and taxes /fees on CX and JAL are reasonable ). On the other hand Qantas is stingy as hell when it comes to QF23/24 Sydney flights ( at least in J, and charge a lot in fees even in Y...about 1/3 of the price Of a discounted ticket)...they try to push everyone onto Jetstar via Melbourne ( ie an insanely overpriced J redemption ticket).
I keep O/W emerald through Qantas ( mostly for credit card spend) but credit points in excess of the yearly STatus Credit requirement to Alaska ( which offers quite good redemptions ex BKK).
My way of doing it maybe a bit dumb because I have LT something in QF ( Gold I think, meaning O/W Saphhire), and it would be smarter to credit to BA or Alaska or AA, but I never get around to it).
I’m definitely over Thai, a couple of booked flights and then a redemption flight and it’s on to Turkish .
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by paolo64
Bangkok is very well-served by One World carriers: Qantas, BA, JAL, Finnair, Sri Lankan, Qatar, Cathay, China Eastern and probably some I forgot. ...
China Eastern is with SkyTeam.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby

China Eastern is with SkyTeam.
Yes, my error. They come up as a choice when redeeming points on Qantas ( in fact, more commonly than Qantas flights do). They must have an arrangement.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paolo64

Yes, my error. They come up as a choice when redeeming points on Qantas ( in fact, more commonly than Qantas flights do). They must have an arrangement.
Yep, a non-alliance partnership arrangement;

https://www.qantas.com/cn/en/about-u...a-eastern.html
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:32 am

Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Well, I'm finally getting around to converting from ROP to another Star Alliance airline due to the forthcoming changes in ROP. When I'd looked at this situation just a couple of months ago, I'd come to the conclusion that Turkish Airlines was the way to go. However, now that I'm about to dive in and start accruing miles on TK I came across this:

Turkish Airlines

Turkish Miles & Smiles has been routinely offering status matches and challenges for the last few years. Unfortunately, if you call and speak with phone agents or try to find a landing page on the Turkish site, you’d believe nothing is available. However, according to this FlyerTalk thread, you can request a match via this web form.

The match is now reportedly only good for a four-month trial period, during which one international segment flown on Turkish metal is required to extend the status for a period of one year. Then you must earn 15,000 status miles on Turkish flights alone during that year to extend the status for an additional year. Lately, however, flyers are having a hard time getting Turkish to honor the challenge agreement after completing 15,000 status miles, and their accounts are not being updated.

The Turkish match has become a convoluted, complicated and unclear quagmire that could result in you crediting a lot of paid flights to Turkish and not earning the status you think. InsideFlyer has a great write-up of the process — undertake it at your own risk.
source:
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/airli...es-challenges/

This sounds like a classic bait+switch, and I don't want to end up in the quagmire the author describes. Perhaps it's better to just go with a more stable/established *A member, even if it's harder to obtain and maintain status. My second choice was EVA Air, and I do fly them often to and from LOS.

What do you all think, anyone else do the switch yet, or anyone just staying put with ROP and absorbing the degradation of the program?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think what, if anything, each ROP member does will be determined on a ‘specific to circumstances’ basis (flying patterns, cabin class, location...).

So, not sure that folks here responding will be of much use to others unless you are a ‘near match’ .

Others may hold different views...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by tangfish
This sounds like a classic bait+switch, and I don't want to end up in the quagmire the author describes. Perhaps it's better to just go with a more stable/established *A member, even if it's harder to obtain and maintain status. ...
TK is a good program although it has its quirks like any other program.
TK is not trying to rip anyone off.
It a real joke (although a good one) to fly at the minimum only 12,500 miles on average per year to renew *A G status.

Last edited by flyerby; Jun 19, 2019 at 12:45 am
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by flyerby

TK is a good program although it has its quirks like any other program.
TK is not trying to rip anyone off.
It a real joke (although a good one) to fly at the minimum only 12,500 miles on average per year to renew *A G status.
I had originally thought I could qualify for and maintain *A Gold status on TK by accruing via other *A airlines, but if they need to be earned on TK itself that's not gonna work at all. Thus, I'm looking for an alternative.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
xxx....post deleted....xxxx

Last edited by Creole Spirit; Jul 5, 2019 at 2:07 am
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
wonderig if all above is really relevant for ROP...why dont you post that on the TK-program site?
I think it's pretty much relevant. The recent ROP changes are forcing long-time ROP members to leave the ship; it's just legitimate to be asking our community where to head next
anaidross and andyptrav like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:00 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
What do you all think, anyone else do the switch yet, or anyone just staying put with ROP and absorbing the degradation of the program?
I have recently burned all ROP miles to avoid the new chart, and I am switching to SQ (I am base in Bangkok). Though new ROP and SQ chart require similar amount of miles anyway (around 180K for BKK-Europe), so I still keep ROP for European routes as I could fly direct, and SQ for Australia-NZ and USA routes. Not sure if it's the right decision. I am also with Finnair for OneWorld and Flying Blue for SkyTeam, my flying pattern seems like a mess

Point is, in my opinion, even though the new ROP will be a lot worse than before, but it will just require the same amount of miles as other programs for an award ticket, it doesn't make much difference switching to the other (correct me if I am wrong). I don't chase for status and only care about award miles. I am switching to SQ only because THAI don't fly to USA and require more miles to redeem an award ticket to Australia-NZ. Putting up with ROP and start flying with SQ seems like the best way to go for me. It would be nice to hear other's opinion on this too.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:33 am

I had originally thought I could qualify for and maintain *A Gold status on TK by accruing via other *A airlines, but if they need to be earned on TK itself that's not gonna work at all. Thus, I'm looking for an alternative.
Your original thought still holds. You don’t need to fly TK metal to qualify or earn unless you are trying to status match which you cannot if you only hold a status with another *A FFP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.