Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROP Program changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
I just sent an email containing feedback to the two email addresses mentioned above. Hopefully if we make enough noise it will affect something (very low confidence of that happening though).

So, I am committed to switching my allegiance. I am thinking either EVA Air (fly their metal a lot) or Turkish Airlines as many here have said is a good program. My question is how to go about doing this.

How do I begin accruing mileage toward status on one of those airlines while also continuing to enjoy my benefits of being a gold member on Thai? [I see some are discussing the same issue above. I am not worried about lounge access as I can show the card, I mean priority seating, extra baggage allowance at check in, and such.]
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by tangfish
How do I begin accruing mileage toward status on one of those airlines while also continuing to enjoy my benefits of being a gold member on Thai? [I see some are discussing the same issue above. I am not worried about lounge access as I can show the card, I mean priority seating, extra baggage allowance at check in, and such.]
I think it is possible to show the physical frequent flyer card to check in and access the lounge but request the points to be clocked to another frequent flyer program. I have done this with M&M for some LH flights that do not qualify for ROP program.

Tricky could be the case when additional luggage space is needed due to Gold card benefit. What some check in counters did for me is, they first issue the boarding pass with my ROP card, get the luggage through, then reissue another boarding pass with the M&M number and cancel the first boarding pass.
flyerby likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by anaidross
I think it is possible to show the physical frequent flyer card to check in and access the lounge but request the points to be clocked to another frequent flyer program. I have done this with M&M for some LH flights that do not qualify for ROP program.

Tricky could be the case when additional luggage space is needed due to Gold card benefit. What some check in counters did for me is, they first issue the boarding pass with my ROP card, get the luggage through, then reissue another boarding pass with the M&M number and cancel the first boarding pass.
That complication shouldn’t be needed if the check-in agent is on top of things - and if the *A benefits are properly connected up electronically.

My understating is that there are 2 data fields:

FQTV - frequent traveller (where to accrues miles)
FQTS - frq traveller status (contains status)

So to accrue to another airline ?? And recognise status of TG, staff need to set FQTV=?? And FQTS=TG.

Not all agents are trained to do this, or are even aware of the capacity of the system toa accept both ff#s.

Some FT members in New Zealand have asserted that *A sees this as a ‘hack’ and will modify systems to close this down.....
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Short-changed mileage BKK-SIN

I flew BKK-SIN on SQ D business fare last Friday, and the miles just posted (2 working days is good).

However, I was surprised to see 1,100 miles and not 1,111 as I have earned in the past on TG J. The AKL-BKK miles on TG have posted correctly.

I would have thought this accrual calculation amount was automatic, so I have no idea how this could happen. I don’t really care at all about 11 miles, but have emailed ROP asking for an explanation.

Anybody willing to post what miles have been earned flying i BKK-SIN recently....?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I flew BKK-SIN on SQ D business fare last Friday, and the miles just posted (2 working days is good).

However, I was surprised to see 1,100 miles and not 1,111 as I have earned in the past on TG J. The AKL-BKK miles on TG have posted correctly.

I would have thought this accrual calculation amount was automatic, so I have no idea how this could happen. I don’t really care at all about 11 miles, but have emailed ROP asking for an explanation.

Anybody willing to post what miles have been earned flying i BKK-SIN recently....?

Just checked my account and I see the same, SQ credits 1100 and TG 1111. Hadn't noticed before and like you, I'm not overly fussed for 11 points. Out of interest pls report back if you ever get clarity from TG regarding the difference tho.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newshound
Just checked my account and I see the same, SQ credits 1100 and TG 1111. Hadn't noticed before and like you, I'm not overly fussed for 11 points. Out of interest pls report back if you ever get clarity from TG regarding the difference tho.
I see that on SQ’s KrisFlyer site they use 880 miles (1,100 in J) between BKK and SIN, but THAI uses 889 miles (1,111).

So it looks as if ROP is using what SQ provides as the mileage earn for the sector. This seems wrong as surely the mileage earn into ROP should be determined by TG, and not SQ?!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: Thai Airways
My knowledge from speaking many years ago to a senior steward that I have known for 10 years or so is that miles that are credited are based upon the calculation method of the airline that the ticket is bought with.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:46 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

I see that on SQ’s KrisFlyer site they use 880 miles (1,100 in J) between BKK and SIN, but THAI uses 889 miles (1,111).

So it looks as if ROP is using what SQ provides as the mileage earn for the sector. This seems wrong as surely the mileage earn into ROP should be determined by TG, and not SQ?!
It makes sense that it would be determined by SQ. They are sending across to TG, so-and-so earned x miles for the flight with these details.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet

It makes sense that it would be determined by SQ. They are sending across to TG, so-and-so earned x miles for the flight with these details.
I could possibly understand this view, especially in cases where the ‘receiving’ program doesn’t operate on the sector.

But really, I would like to believe that across an alliance that the mileage database would a single point of truth. And then let the fare class and FF program etc determine the miles earned.

I guess this potential discrepancy only shows up when both carriers operate on the same sector...
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
But really, I would like to believe that across an alliance that the mileage database would a single point of truth. And then let the fare class and FF program etc determine the miles earned.
Data synchronization for such an unimportant issue is unheard of. Let their respective IT teams fix their important bugs first.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:23 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA

Maybe Thai is using some old value for Bangkok city or from when BKK was Don Mueang? On Great Circle Mapper SIN-DMK is 18 miles more than BKK, which is more than the 9 mile difference though.

Or maybe you get credit for the 9 mile bus ride to the remote stand where the TG airplane is parked.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by bpe
Maybe Thai is using some old value for Bangkok city or from when BKK was Don Mueang? On Great Circle Mapper SIN-DMK is 18 miles more than BKK, which is more than the 9 mile difference.
Same issue with the new IST airport. There’s a few 10s of miles difference between the old and the new IST but TK hasn’t updated the charts.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerby

Same issue with the new IST airport. There’s a few 10s of miles difference between the old and the new IST but TK hasn’t updated the charts.
Not sure this issue is about a legacy DMK vs BKK location difference. More it is about SQ and TG having different calculation methodology (presumably). gcmap.com measures the great circle distance BKK-SIN as 875 miles, so different again to TG (889) or SQ (880).

Anyway, it is a trivial matter.....
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Anyway, it is a trivial matter.....
More importantly is try to convince Thai to relook its redemption chart... Cost much much more than 11 miles.

Last edited by anaidross; Apr 16, 2019 at 2:57 pm
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: BRK-B
Is leaving to OneWorld a good idea?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.