Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROP Program changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Disinto
Cool, thanks! So you just need to present your hard printed Gold status card to the lounge, and they would accept it?
US, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Germany, Dubai, Myanmar, Australia, that I travelled for last 12 months so far accepted, no problem. In Australia's Melbourne at NZ lounge, no problem also.
Disinto likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Thank you so much for the feedback, guys!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by newflyer73
Question for ROP veterans: I just reached ROP Gold this year and sadly this change has taken effect. Are ROP upgrade redemptions in the form of vouchers or do you have to have a qualifying paid fare to redeem?
Also, generally speaking, are most of you in agreement that TK is the best programme now that these changes are to take effect? Versus say, Asiana or Eva... I noticed that the renewal thresholds are lower (for example, 30K status miles within one year or 45K status miles within two for a two year extension). Cheers, thanks everyone for the previous replies and info.
Yes, it needs to be a qualifying fare to apply the upgrade , eg Q class ( or a few others that I don’t recall, H maybe one) to upgrade to business. IIRC correctly they are the fares that credit at 75 or 100%, ie not the cheapest ones.
Other people here are more knowledgeable on these matters than I am.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Qualifying fares need to be K class or higher for upgrades, the hierarchy is as follows Y, B, M, H, Q, T, K.
Fare classes Y-Q are 100% mileage earning, T-K are 75% earning.

Importantly not all of these are upgradable as there are various Fare Basis for each fare class, so you need to check the terms very carefully or contact your local THAI office.

For example, I wanted a fare AKL-BKK-ZRH in a fare class I could apply my GUP to. The website provided a Flexi-Saver fare (T and K class), so at first glance this looked suitable. However, checking the fare conditions on the 'more details' link for FlexiSaver, the fare was not upgradable (the fare wasn't a 'sale' fare or part of any special promotion).

I needed to call the local THAI office and pay a much higher prices for a K fare with an upgradable fare basis (around $600 NZ or $US 400 more).

So in the end:

FlexiSaver K Class KM3MNZE $1750 Cannot use GUP (fare as sold on website)
FlexiSaver K Class K1LENZE $2350 Can use GUP (fare basis only avail from THAI office)

The slow rise in YBMHQTK fares, and increasing restrictions on the exact fare basis have also degraded the ROP benefits.
Attached Images  
anaidross likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 30, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by Disinto
Cool, thanks! So you just need to present your hard printed Gold status card to the lounge, and they would accept it?
Be mindful that the lounge doesn’t change your FFP account in the ticket (in case you are not crediting to TG).
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Is there somewhere we could write to to complain about this devaluation? The return ticket is so much more expensive than SQ's Star Alliance Round trip ticket.

I guess many will change to another *A program. Can anyone recommend one with a "more-reasonable" redemption rate?

Last edited by anaidross; Apr 12, 2019 at 4:11 pm
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: SAS -TG
Will get my gold card with TG 1/05 after that i will change to EVA Air, i use mostly BR from LHR-BKK, BR are cheaper with Business class and they have a great premium economy class
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by HKT CPH
Will get my gold card with TG 1/05 after that i will change to EVA Air, i use mostly BR from LHR-BKK, BR are cheaper with Business class and they have a great premium economy class
same logic here! I fly BR extensively. After reaching Gold on Thai, there’s no reason to fly with them anymore, their value for money is terrible. The only time I fly Thai is when I know I’ll use my miles to upgrade.
Re: BR, their J class prices have increased a lot in the last few weeks as they revamped their fare structure. I used to be able to buy a BKK-CDG-BKK via TPE in J at around 83k THB, but this is now gone, it’s minimum 110k.
Their PE is a good value indeed, but I just can’t sleep at all (I flew PE on TPE-CDG 2 days ago). I keep on slipping off my seat and there’s no movable lower part to lift your legs.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:08 am

Unfortunately Thai have really dropped the ball here with their premium customers. I am a platinum member and am now moving to Singapore Airlines. I look forward to PPS membership and no more Thai uncertainty.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Main Wheel
Unfortunately Thai have really dropped the ball here with their premium customers. I am a platinum member and am now moving to Singapore Airlines. I look forward to PPS membership and no more Thai uncertainty.
That said KrisFlyer has been devaluated a lot these days, but as you seem to be a very good premium customers, you’ll probably get a better value over there
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:49 am

I guess for me the devaluation isn’t the reason...it’s the last straw. Cost of flights, schedule changes with 4 flights a week versus 4 flights a day, the ...... 777-200 business class product, and a now almost impossible FF seat availability has forced my hand.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:00 am

I really wanted to stay, in fact I’ve stayed beyond common sense has dictated , however enough is enough.
anaidross likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by anaidross
Is there somewhere we could write to to complain about this devaluation? The return ticket is so much more expensive than SQ's Star Alliance Round trip ticket.
Yes, your local TG office and also [email protected] and [email protected] ask them to forward the message to those responsible for the changes. I'm surprised there hasn't been more response to the extensive changes already.
anaidross likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
I am contemplating between Asiana and Turkish Airways currently as the qualifying / maintenance / redemption rate seem most favourable.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by anaidross
I am contemplating between Asiana and Turkish Airways currently as the qualifying / maintenance / redemption rate seem most favourable.
but in the meantime do please email TG to let them know why you are planning to leave ROP. It may encourage them to think again about some of their proposed changes.
anaidross likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.