Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROP Program changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
A lot of thought in to this by Thai...comment from dajop on AFF:

The bizarre bit on the the Europe award is that if you want to use Thai, and book all the way on Thai as a connection, you use the "Beyond Bangkok" award table, and it's 175k one way. If you use don't book it as a connection, but book it as two one ways, into and out of Bangkok, you use the "One Way- Direct Bangkok" table, and it is 60K + 95K = 155K.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
I have a related question if anyone could help . I have a friend who miles are expiring at march 2019 . I have tried looking for donations to extent the miles and there is none,. Then I tried to redeem for a shopping voucher and was told that was an option for overseas residences. So I finally ended up get a AVIS one day car rental voucher and now got a reply again with the same answer needs too be a Thai residences, so I have ran out of options.

Any suggestions ?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Well... It was good while it lasted. Used to be good with all those promotions, but once you got ROP Gold, there was no reasons to fly with TG anymore, since you didn't get a mile bonus for flying on TG's own metal rather than another *A airline (like BR, which used to have a very good value for money in J).
So now, I transferred all my ROP credit cards points to ROP and will book as many J class and F class tickets as possible before 1st Nov...
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
I have a related question if anyone could help . I have a friend who miles are expiring at march 2019 . I have tried looking for donations to extent the miles and there is none,. Then I tried to redeem for a shopping voucher and was told that was an option for overseas residences. So I finally ended up get a AVIS one day car rental voucher and now got a reply again with the same answer needs too be a Thai residences, so I have ran out of options.

Any suggestions ?
How many points are we talking about? If you have a friend in Thailand who could accept the voucher, send it to him/her? Maybe it's even possible to google a mail-forwarding company in Thailand? Apart from that, Thai does have a few magazine subscription awards that may be interesting. I.e. TIME and Fortune.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Disinto
Well... It was good while it lasted. Used to be good with all those promotions, but once you got ROP Gold, there was no reasons to fly with TG anymore, since you didn't get a mile bonus for flying on TG's own metal rather than another *A airline (like BR, which used to have a very good value for money in J).
So now, I transferred all my ROP credit cards points to ROP and will book as many J class and F class tickets as possible before 1st Nov...
Agree with the other posters here. This makes ROP really bad value for money. Used almost all my points for two EU-AU award tickets in J a few months ago, so fortunately don't have many points left anyway.
The 50% discount on award redemptions once a year was a good thing, but with the new points requirements for awards, even at 50% it's poor value.

Contemplating switching my next, already booked, *A flights to use something other than my ROP FF number now. TK seems to have decent connections from where I'm often departing now, as no longer based in Thailand anyway, though still flying there more often than other places. Will need to calculate whether it looks like I will make enough flights on TK to get *A gold before my TG gold expires, or whether I should stick with TG till I've got enough points to renew my TG *G for another two years before switching though.

Will say TG was good about air awards in my experience however. Did not have any of the problems with lack of availability or problems finding dates I've seen other here complain about in regards to other airlines. I also like that they've given ample advance notice for the points increase, unlike e.g. SQ who recently announced something similar with just a few weeks notice.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
its about 30k expiring . I have tried mag subscription but it is only for Thai residence.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:29 am

its about 30k expiring . I have tried mag subscription but it is only for Thai residence.
I think only some (Thai-language?) magazines are for Thai resident only. TIME, Fortune, and perhaps others are delivered outside Thailand, or at least I had no trouble redeeming them even after my address was no longer in Thailand. Maybe an air award is possible? Assuming you know from/to, you could try to book one now, then pay the change fee later once you know the dates.

If you're desperate, send me a PM and maybe I can give my friends address to use, preferably for some voucher she can just scan and send me later.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:45 am

30 K, or thereabouts won’t get you much, as you know. If you’re going to be in Thailand in the next few months ( up to 12 months?), it will get you domestic return tickets, in Y. So a about 7-7,000 Baht, ie not worth making a trip fo, but worth doing if you have plans ( I’m assuming that domestic tickets have the same life as international ones, as I’ve never booked the former).

I’m down to 16,000 points: the lowest in 20 years.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by eqeqeqx
Agree with the other posters here. This makes ROP really bad value for money. Used almost all my points for two EU-AU award tickets in J a few months ago, so fortunately don't have many points left anyway.
The 50% discount on award redemptions once a year was a good thing, but with the new points requirements for awards, even at 50% it's poor value.

Contemplating switching my next, already booked, *A flights to use something other than my ROP FF number now. TK seems to have decent connections from where I'm often departing now, as no longer based in Thailand anyway, though still flying there more often than other places. Will need to calculate whether it looks like I will make enough flights on TK to get *A gold before my TG gold expires, or whether I should stick with TG till I've got enough points to renew my TG *G for another two years before switching though.

Will say TG was good about air awards in my experience however. Did not have any of the problems with lack of availability or problems finding dates I've seen other here complain about in regards to other airlines. I also like that they've given ample advance notice for the points increase, unlike e.g. SQ who recently announced something similar with just a few weeks notice.
fully subscribing to what you’re saying...I need to figure out my next move. I’ll probably as well try to renew my gold status with Thai for 2 years and switch to TK or BR. Anybody knows if we still get lounge benefits if having a non-Gold FF number of a Y boarding pass whilst still having a gold status with another FF number under the same name?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

fully subscribing to what you’re saying...I need to figure out my next move. I’ll probably as well try to renew my gold status with Thai for 2 years and switch to TK or BR. Anybody knows if we still get lounge benefits if having a non-Gold FF number of a Y boarding pass whilst still having a gold status with another FF number under the same name?
Should be fine doing what you want:

accruing into program A on the booking
show physical *G card of program B

Air NZ wont now allow this. So I cannot accrue to NZ (no status) and show my TG *G card for alliance benefits - very grumpy as it seems to defy the point of *A rules. However, Air NZ are fine if I want to accrue to another (*A) program.

Friends have told me *A want to ‘fix’ what is seen by some as double-dipping. I see it as the benefit of *A, otherwise what is the point?
Disinto likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:22 am

Question for ROP veterans: I just reached ROP Gold this year and sadly this change has taken effect. Are ROP upgrade redemptions in the form of vouchers or do you have to have a qualifying paid fare to redeem?
Also, generally speaking, are most of you in agreement that TK is the best programme now that these changes are to take effect? Versus say, Asiana or Eva... I noticed that the renewal thresholds are lower (for example, 30K status miles within one year or 45K status miles within two for a two year extension). Cheers, thanks everyone for the previous replies and info.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Should be fine doing what you want:

accruing into program A on the booking
show physical *G card of program B

Air NZ wont now allow this. So I cannot accrue to NZ (no status) and show my TG *G card for alliance benefits - very grumpy as it seems to defy the point of *A rules. However, Air NZ are fine if I want to accrue to another (*A) program.

Friends have told me *A want to ‘fix’ what is seen by some as double-dipping. I see it as the benefit of *A, otherwise what is the point?
I do this all the time, I am trying to maintain at least 2 qualified Gold member from 2 programs, for just in case. This year alone already doing this about 50K miles, which include one at the NZ lounge at Melbourne without a problem.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:49 am

Cool, thanks! So you just need to present your hard printed Gold status card to the lounge, and they would accept it?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: SAS -TG
Damn, 1 trip more i get my Gold card with TG, i use BR from LHR, maybe i should change to EVA when i get my Gold card after my next trip in one months time
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Cool, thanks! So you just need to present your hard printed Gold status card to the lounge, and they would accept it?
According to Star Alliance website, yes. See the seconf point below. This is why I am so annoyed with Air NZ’s decision not to comply.

Star Alliance Gold Customers travelling in any class of travel

As a Star Alliance Gold customer travelling in any class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight, you have access to any member airline lounge at the airport where your flight departs, if the following conditions are met:

- You present your boarding pass of a Star Alliance member airline operated flight which departs at the same day as your visit or latest by 05:00 AM the next morning.

- If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need to also show your valid Star Alliance Gold card.

- The lounge displays the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.

- You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day
https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
Disinto likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.