Search

ROP Program changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:15 am
kkl

Pretty much a 100% increase across the board
Jaunt411 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:31 am

End of the ROP road for me . I’ll still fly Thai when it suits but only to credit elsewhere. It has been increasingly difficult to find decent Q and H fares for crediting to TG, almost everything with a competitive fare is W or worse. While it appears they’re not touching GUP or Birthday per se, ipso facto they are because of the devaluation, at least for the 50% deal. They now want to charge effectively double the Qantas requirement for Australia-Europe? They’re dreamin’
Jaunt411 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:04 pm
kkl

Lucky got a good 6 months notice

can play trips for 18 months
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:45 pm

So the changes take effect Oct. 1, 2019. I already have a September trip booked. Just hope I don't get sick requiring a delay of the trip. It's hell getting old.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by kkl
Lucky got a good 6 months notice
Lucky for me too, as I was planning to start switching over to ROP with November flights.

Cancel that plan - this is a staggering increase in redemption mileages.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BF263533
So the changes take effect Oct. 1, 2019. I already have a September trip booked. Just hope I don't get sick requiring a delay of the trip. It's hell getting old.
you just have to book it before 1. Oct with the old mileage requirement and could also fly later, no problem!
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
This change clearly makes ROP much worse of a program. So my next challenge is, who do I switch to? Aside from a decent amount of domestic flying on TG I fly BKK - SEA and/or BKK - LAX several times a year, usually on EVA, plus *A airlines here and there. I really like having *A gold for the baggage help. I figured ROP made the most sense a few years ago because I have a home base here in Thailand, but really haven't redeemed any of my TG miles since, as pointed out, they are not the best value to spend.

Should I switch to EVA, since I fly their metal several times a year? I have a home base in the US but I really don't want to go back to earning on UA, because I try to avoid their metal entirely. Which *A carrier should I switch to if retaining my *A Gold with minimal effort and annual spend is my goal?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by tangfish

Should I switch to EVA, since I fly their metal several times a year? I have a home base in the US but I really don't want to go back to earning on UA, because I try to avoid their metal entirely. Which *A carrier should I switch to if retaining my *A Gold with minimal effort and annual spend is my goal?
well, that is the $100,000 question for all of us! And one which probably is so personal that no 2 FlyerTalkers could ever agree.

Nonetheless, well worth plenty of discussion! Everyday I learn something new, or something I knew has changed or is changing...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Worth considering TK FFP. Easy to get and maintain. And if flying from BKK to US, you’re going in the opposite direction which while is longer gives a lot of miles.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by flyerby
Worth considering TK FFP. Easy to get and maintain. And if flying from BKK to US, you’re going in the opposite direction which while is longer gives a lot of miles.
There are several things to consider including routings mainly flying, booking class(es) mainly booked, etc.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Well, looking at the programs head to head, it appears EVA Air isn't any better or easier to maintain status on than the new crappified ROP.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:22 am

By the way: With the changes they only have one way award charts left. Does it mean the 50% birthday award can then also only be used for a single one way award?
anaidross and andyptrav like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by DevDedication
By the way: With the changes they only have one way award charts left. Does it mean the 50% birthday award can then also only be used for a single one way award?
That’s a very good point.
As for where to go: it’s all part of a race to the bottom. TG held off longer than most, but these changes are so draconian that it’s hard to imagine a lot won’t jump. Maybe TK is the go: but perhaps more than a few Aussies and Kiwis won’t relish the thought of anything via IST, at least for a while.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:04 am

I already moved to TK couple of years since TG announced incremental of redemption points previously, Never regret I did that. Since I moved to TK (year 2014), already earn and redeem more than 10xRT BKK-Tokyo tickets which 7-8 tickets are in Biz class, no problem with that. I contacted TK office in BKK, no need to call Istanbul. No problem, all smooth as Sink.

I do not see any value try to keep TG premium tier membership. Already been Gold with TK for 3 cycles.

Been flying TG for more than 10+ years, before they will come to ask Gold member sitting in Y-class to choose menu first, then this service disappeared for years and years, just recently see it comes back again. But that's it.

This moves showing TG does not appreciated their loyal customers credit to their program but rather selling mileage to bank/credit card companies. Why should be care? This also means even if I have credit card in Thailand like Citibank, my point also getting cheaper when convert to mile.

Not to mention that this moves make ROP worth lesser and the fee for redemption is still expensive as usual. One of the most expensive among *A members.
phrasuthon likes this.

Last edited by leonjoel; Mar 25, 2019 at 7:15 am
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
This was my email sent back in June 2014 when Thai tried this...

Hi,

I am just writing to check if there is a mistake on the new award chart? It seems all of the rates for business class travel has doubled? Should the table state they are for return flights?

I have just checked other airlines in the region and if the new table is correct Thai is on average 70% more expensive than all of these carriers, they are actually more than double the cost of Singapore Airlines which is a much better airline. Using United miles it is only 60,000 points, so Thai is 326% more expensive for the exact same flight on Thai Airways planes! How is this rewarding your own frequent flyers?

Refer to the table below. This is similar to places in Europe as well with Thai being the most expensive frequent flyer program in the world.Round Trip Miles Required
(Sydney to Bangkok Business Class)Thai (old chart)98000Thai (new chart)196000Singapore Airlines93500Qantas120000Cathay140000Malaysian1060 00Emirates120000United (On Thai Airways planes) 60000

I am hoping it is just an error and should state that the values listed are for return trips. On top of this Thai Airways charges very high fuel surcharges which other airlines do not (they charge only the legitimate taxes.)

I understand Thai Airways is struggling to attract passengers at the moment. This move will just force more people to start crediting towards your partner airlines and costing Thai more money, this will in no way attract new customers or keep the ones you already have happy.

Regards,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.