Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROP Program changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BRK-B
I don't know but I have a bad feeling about the GUP/PUP.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Noppasit
I don't know but I have a bad feeling about the GUP/PUP.
That and the 50% award were my biggest fears. "First we will spin them some good news. The devil will be in the detail we disclose later."

Remember the changes announced a few years ago: "Our ROP members wanted better award availability" So we made significant increases to the mileage costs. Of course that would increase availability because fewer members could afford the awards.

With airlines "enhancements" always seem to hide a disadvantage for the passenger.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I am glad I burned my GUP on a AKL-BKK-ZRH return (K->J), and burned the 50% award for Mrs TK in J for the same trip. This really is excellent value and I suppose such 'optimisation' might make these 2 benefits a target of cost cutting.

I requalified TG*G on Jan 01, and the Auckland office had me booked by Jan 04 for flights in Sep 19.

I have noted previously that the cheapest K fare AKL-ZRH was around USD 1200, however the fine print said this was non-upgradable. I needed to buy a K fare that allowed upgrades, which cost quite a bit more at approx USD1600. And the more expensive K class still only earns 75% miles....

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 10, 2019 at 12:55 am
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
ROP is a program, where differences between lower class/lower fares and J/F class/more expensive fares are smaller than at other airline programs. There are also no bonus miles for members with Gold or Platinum Status
I expect changes in those two areas
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by phrasuthon
How can be much worse? ROP is the most expensive program in the whole Star Alliance.
UA Gold is 50,000 miles in a calendar year. You must also fly at least 4 UA flights and there is a UA dollar spend requirement (which can be waived with CC spend). TG Gold is 50,000 miles in any 12 month period, or 80,000 miles in 24 months. Gold status last 2 years. On UA you must requalify yearly.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
paolo64 may have meant the 2 key elements to be:

- Gold/Plat Upgrade(s)
- 50% Award

They are for me...
Yes, indeed.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Asia Miles, Royal Orchid Plus, World Perks
A few years ago they tried to increase the cost of awards while adding tier miles for silver gold and plat. This came with a huge backlash so they postponed this move. With both SQ (twice) and CX increased in award cost last year, I guess this is expected to happen.

Just hope it is a moderate increase.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
UA Gold is 50,000 miles in a calendar year. You must also fly at least 4 UA flights and there is a UA dollar spend requirement (which can be waived with CC spend). TG Gold is 50,000 miles in any 12 month period, or 80,000 miles in 24 months. Gold status last 2 years. On UA you must requalify yearly.
There is always the sweet spot of earning 50k in the first year and using all the awards on the second year of Gold. Probably the best value FF in the world.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: BRK-B
I have received the e-mail today!
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Noppasit
I have received the e-mail today!
yes as well…
changes as expected...
- more reward miles for F and J
- more reward miles for members with Status
- but more miles needed for awards
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by ohsopc
A few years ago they tried to increase the cost of awards while adding tier miles for silver gold and plat. This came with a huge backlash so they postponed this move. With both SQ (twice) and CX increased in award cost last year, I guess this is expected to happen.

Just hope it is a moderate increase.

It is a very steep increase in award prices.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:51 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
The new ROP award chart is terrible for redeeming return ticket. Got to plan next year trips to burn ROP miles before the new chart applied
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BinSabai
yes as well…
changes as expected...
- more reward miles for F and J
- more reward miles for members with Status
- but more miles needed for awards
This is very interesting......possibly.........

THAI MAX EXPRESS

Beginning 01 April 2019, THAI Max Express is a new option to purchase a paid ticket using only miles for roundtrip travel in Royal First Class or Royal Silk Class. THAI Max Express can be used only for travel departing from Bangkok to all THAI destinations in Europe.

Does this mean that I can use reward miles to buy a ticket that will actually earn Tier Status points? If so, that is a radical change. Load up the miles on your credit card spending, then use them to buy a First Class round trip ticket to London, and earn 35,568 miles? Sounds way too easy to me!!!
BinSabai likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:24 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
This is very interesting......possibly.........

THAI MAX EXPRESS

Beginning 01 April 2019, THAI Max Express is a new option to purchase a paid ticket using only miles for roundtrip travel in Royal First Class or Royal Silk Class. THAI Max Express can be used only for travel departing from Bangkok to all THAI destinations in Europe.

Does this mean that I can use reward miles to buy a ticket that will actually earn Tier Status points? If so, that is a radical change. Load up the miles on your credit card spending, then use them to buy a First Class round trip ticket to London, and earn 35,568 miles? Sounds way too easy to me!!!
That would be interesting. Called ROP and they said there was no information as of yet, got to wait until 1 May, so now I am waiting. At least if the award ticket gave us tier points, then I would be OK with the new chart, but I doubt it would be the case.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Juntima
That would be interesting. Called ROP and they said there was no information as of yet, got to wait until 1 May, so now I am waiting. At least if the award ticket gave us tier points, then I would be OK with the new chart, but I doubt it would be the case.
Hi Juntima,

It is the case....just check under "Spend Miles" on the ROP website........but the milage required is HUUUUUUGE.....

joy16 and BinSabai like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.