Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

THAI Airways Reports Huge 11.5 billion Loss

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THAI Airways Reports Huge 11.5 billion Loss

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
gosh ... this is an embarrassing huge amount - is your calculation correct?
Actually it wasnt. I used 2.4 m passengers when it should have been 24.3m so $12.3 per passenger.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Actually it wasnt. I used 2.4 m passengers when it should have been 24.3m so $12.3 per passenger.
Oh well, what's another zero between friends, right
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:42 am
SKL

As long as the tourists keep coming in, there is no motivation or mandate from above to make Thai aviation safety or THAI Airways work the way it should.
FAA came recently and gave Thailand 26 recommendations for deficiencies to fix, in order to get the category 1 status. This is the expected inspection since Thailand did not pass criteria for category 1 several years ago. Why can't Thailand meet the requirements during the second inspection? Incompetence.
The Rolls Royce engine graft saga is no longer visible. It happened long ago and humans have short memories. Another round of aircraft purchase coming up- whether the purchase process is transparent and above board is anyone's guess.
THAI does not have to make money. Losing 1 million USD per day seems affordable to Thailand as long as money come in from different sources. At least, this is how they are acting, from the way they run the airline.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Oh well, what's another zero between friends, right
Yep, those decimal points are slippery little critters.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
11B loss is to be compared with a Total market capitalization of some 28B. And accumulated losses are of the order of 28B.

Despite its turnaround claims, TG has been unable to reduce its staffing costs and increased the number of planes rather than trimming it down as promised.
This is hopeless and TG has no future as a standalone company. But as long as the State if willing to subsidize each passenger, then...
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: TG Plat
Piyasvasti Amranand (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piyasvasti_Amranand) was the best CEO and did appear to be making progress before he was sacked for political reasons and replaced by an academic who duly demonstrated zero understanding of running an airline. Since then little progress has been made.

When they do something that works they then stop doing it, e.g. LHR - BKK - LHR last year had some really competitive prices including restricted business at just over £2,000, The result was nearly full flights with business full. The London route did well and London staff received a bonus for the first time in years. Now business is £3,100 or more and will likely be only half full at best come the end of high season. -- you do the maths. Last time I booked EVA were £2,620 and Etihad £2,302 albeit with a long stop on the return. And strangely £2,938 with Thai from Crystal Travel. I just checked for a May flight, TG £3,088 and BA £2,095. Now I like Thai and need some premium miles to retain platinum but not at that difference.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andyptrav
Piyasvasti Amranand (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piyasvasti_Amranand) was the best CEO and did appear to be making progress before he was sacked for political reasons and replaced by an academic who duly demonstrated zero understanding of running an airline. Since then little progress has been made.

When they do something that works they then stop doing it, e.g. LHR - BKK - LHR last year had some really competitive prices including restricted business at just over £2,000, The result was nearly full flights with business full. The London route did well and London staff received a bonus for the first time in years. Now business is £3,100 or more and will likely be only half full at best come the end of high season. -- you do the maths. Last time I booked EVA were £2,620 and Etihad £2,302 albeit with a long stop on the return. And strangely £2,938 with Thai from Crystal Travel. I just checked for a May flight, TG £3,088 and BA £2,095. Now I like Thai and need some premium miles to retain platinum but not at that difference.
Another arm chair CEO then.. You say J was consistently full at ~£2,000 - that means they price themselves too low from a supply and demand perspective and could sell at a higher price point (although obviously not everyone pays the same price).
You also say that now it is much higher and likely (!!) will only be half full as a result. What is your basis for making this argument?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
the arm chair CEO thread...
TG will never have a long term or even mid term strategy and never get even close to break even as long as politicians and upper class meddle with operational and day to day issues
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I am not an arm-chair CEO, but I just flew TG TPE-BKK in C (morning flight). Only 5 of 30 seats occupied. I received great care. Haha. Good service. Plane was a new B787. TG usually charges slightly less than BR on this route. Y was fairly full. (TG had a Y fare promotion.). So I don't know what else TG can do here.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:54 pm

Good to hear that you had a great flight!
I must say that a Sunday morning flight, outside of any long holidays and the like, should be expected to have a low load in J due to lack of business travellers. 5 pax though is a bit on the low side
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Just remember that this example is a situation where the aircraft is used on a shorter rotation ex-BKK in sequence with a long-haul. So there may be more J capacity available than the route demands, but it is still better to keep the aircraft moving and carrying passengers.

For this specific flight, the 787-9 is (usually) used BKK-AKL-BKK//BKK-TPE-BKK//BKK-AKL-BKK etc.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Good to hear that you had a great flight!
I must say that a Sunday morning flight, outside of any long holidays and the like, should be expected to have a low load in J due to lack of business travellers. 5 pax though is a bit on the low side
I fly regional routes often on weekends in J and outside the usual high-loads (like for example the Sunday afternoon and evening flight BKK SIN) I have seen all kind of loads, sometimes totally full, sometimes below 50%, but really seldom just 5 out of 30
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
I fly regional routes often on weekends in J and outside the usual high-loads (like for example the Sunday afternoon and evening flight BKK SIN) I have seen all kind of loads, sometimes totally full, sometimes below 50%, but really seldom just 5 out of 30
Agree, it varies a lot. I think my most incredible example was a Sunday evening flight back to BKK from KBV on an A330, where my partner and I were the only two pax in the entire J cabin! Made me regret it was just a domestic service
BinSabai likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: TG Plat

Another arm chair CEO then.. You say J was consistently full at ~£2,000 - that means they price themselves too low from a supply and demand perspective and could sell at a higher price point (although obviously not everyone pays the same price).
You also say that now it is much higher and likely (!!) will only be half full as a result. What is your basis for making this argument?
This is a comment forum where members give their opinions, if you don't like a thread such as this then don't read it. I, like many here, have much successful business experience and we can recognise business ineptitude when we see it. I was best man to a friend who later became CEO of a large airline. At the time of his appointment he had zero experience of airline management. What he did have though was an Oxbridge degree, MBA and an impressive CV including finance director of a FTSE 100 company and CEO of a FTSE 250 company. No doubt if he commented here you'd call him an arm chair CEO. Note, the airline did not appoint any ex RAF Air Chief Marshals to the board.

Agreed on first point re £2,000. 3 years ago they sold business for £1,760 which was clearly far too cheap. Now it is £3,100 and not competitive, one extreme to the other.

I know that the current forward loading on business LHR - BKK - LHR is way down on this time last year.

Last edited by andyptrav; Mar 10, 2019 at 1:35 am Reason: addition
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:23 am

This is a comment forum where members give their opinions
That is exactly what it is, and my opinion is that your argument is about as solid as hot water. It is simply unsubstantiated.
I am really sorry to say, but I cannot take anyone who have to cite the experience of people they were best man to at some point in life in order to justify their own vague arguments. What does that have to do with it at all, other than showing insecurity by having to "name-drop" (well, "title-drop"?) someone else? Sorry, but it gives no credibility to your argument whatsoever. My statement has nothing to do with liking or not liking this thread - as you say, it is a discussion forum and this thread is just that. I disagree with your opinion, hence discussion.

No doubt if he commented here you'd call him an arm chair CEO
Not if he made well founded and substantiated arguments. But if he would post ones like yours, then perhaps I would - credibility does not come by title but by substance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.