Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

THAI Airways Reports Huge 11.5 billion Loss

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THAI Airways Reports Huge 11.5 billion Loss

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by chris63
Of course if TG hadn’t procured all those different aircraft types & engine types , it would have severely limited the commissions
That’s kind of what I meant by “buying planes left and right”.

Does not seem to benefit the company much.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by geminidreams
Thats a loss of about $300m which is not exactly huge in the airline industry.
One way of looking at it. Another is 10 year look: accumulated losses of 55 billion baht ( approx), ie getting close to 2 billion usd, serious money by any measure.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by worldclubber

That’s kind of what I meant by “buying planes left and right”.

Does not seem to benefit the company much.
Yes, I know & not at all
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Thats a loss of about $300m which is not exactly huge in the airline industry.
Adjusted for relative size of asset base, it's like Delta losing about $2bn
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It would be a start if they could offer competitive fares and a less cumbersome online purchase experience.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thai is like Philippine and Malaysia Airlines. They were good 30 years ago before the LCC boom. Now they have to compete with the LCCs but they still have to give away their seats for free to anyone deemed “important” enough or anyone who knows someone tangentially working in the company hierarchy. They are hopeless and now not even as nice as the mainland Chinese carriers. 15 years ago I’d go out of my way and pay more to take Thai rather than CZ or MU from China to BKK. Now I will go out of my way to take MU rather than Thai. A sad commentary.
RTWFF and chris63 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Adjusted for relative size of asset base, it's like Delta losing about $2bn
A $2b loss for Delta would not be considered huge. In fact it wasnt the long ago past that pretty much all the major carriers in the US went through some sort of bankruptcy filings. Eventually Thai will decide to fix the problems or they will fail. It is more up to the government to decide whether they will maintain support. Look how long Alitalia went racking up losses for years before the Italian Government stopped support. Im pretty sure the Thai Government could wear $300m a year for quite some time if they thought that the economy overall benefited.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Im pretty sure the Thai Government could wear $300m a year for quite some time if they thought that the economy overall benefited.
I think the government funding has an awful lot to do with the prestige of having a flag carrier, patronage, and personal connections, as opposed to some objective measure of economic benefits to Thailand as a whole. If TG were to shut down, it's not like tourists would stop coming; other airlines would pretty quickly add capacity to meet demand.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think the government funding has an awful lot to do with the prestige of having a flag carrier, patronage, and personal connections, as opposed to some objective measure of economic benefits to Thailand as a whole. If TG were to shut down, it's not like tourists would stop coming; other airlines would pretty quickly add capacity to meet demand.
That too, but it is not just passenger numbers but staffing, maintenance, other ancillary services that they will factor in. The bottom line is they are losing around $100 per passenger carried. If they get more than $100 per passenger benefit then not a big concern. Is it better to make a profit, obviously but it is not always how governments see things.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:32 pm

That too, but it is not just passenger numbers but staffing, maintenance, other ancillary services that they will factor in. The bottom line is they are losing around $100 per passenger carried. If they get more than $100 per passenger benefit then not a big concern. Is it better to make a profit, obviously but it is not always how governments see things.
Absolutely. I would imagine it's politically untenable for the government to allow TG to go under, for a multitude of reasons.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
... they still have to give away their seats for free to anyone deemed “important” enough ...
Imagine what flights in and out of Munich are costing them
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:44 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
...and how much has SAA lost? Like eleventy trillion?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by UAuhoh
I’m sure Lucky can give you a rundown of which hotel has the least imaginative breakfast and where to order a cappuccino, but an airline manager he ain’t.
wheresmybagba and SKT-DK like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Imagine what flights in and out of Munich are costing them
why especially Munich?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
gosh ... this is an embarrassing huge amount - is your calculation correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.