Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai suspends Thailand-Europe flights temporarily

Thai suspends Thailand-Europe flights temporarily

Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by BinSabai
Heard from someone at BKK that situation for passengers is quite chaotic. Passports have been confiscated and passengers are told to organize their own accommodation in Bangkok...
Why would passports be confiscated? Seems like they are treating the pax like criminals?
Football Fan and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by divrdrew
Why would passports be confiscated? Seems like they are treating the pax like criminals?
passengers who have already passed immigration (and therefore checked out of the country) and are taken now landside to hotels
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & More, Flying blue
I think for passengers who already checked in and especially for those who were on the returned flights, TG would keep their passports and would try to find them accommodation. However, for those who have not yet checked in, they might have to find their own accommodation for the time-being. My two cents!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BinSabai
Heard from someone at BKK that situation for passengers is quite chaotic. Passports have been confiscated and passengers are told to organize their own accommodation in Bangkok...
My understanding is that my passport is the property of the USA government and no other person, government, or entity has the right to keep it against my will.

BTW, didn't TG have contingency plans for major weather events requiring rerouting?

Is there a cost for a carrier to maintain unused overfly rights for such purposes? Is is it an issue of the airline being certified as being sufficiently safe and secure to fly over a country?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding is that my passport is the property of the USA government and no other person, government, or entity has the right to keep it against my will.

BTW, didn't TG have contingency plans for major weather events requiring rerouting?

Is there a cost for a carrier to maintain unused overfly rights for such purposes? Is is it an issue of the airline being certified as being sufficiently safe and secure to fly over a country?
I think that it would be pretty hard to convince me to hand over my passport...

Also I would think that most of the TG aircraft should be able to, with proper planning and fuel, avoid the area by flying an extended route to the different European destinations. I mean BKK is less than 6,000nm direct from LHR so even giving the conflict zone a very wide berth I don't think they have any long haul aircraft that are rated for less than 7,000nm.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:51 pm

It's an unexpected situation and it sounded like that poster was reporting hearsay, who knows what actually happened. I can't imagine handing over my passport just like that.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Details on flights in this article...

THAI cancels all Europe flights

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...europe-flights
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
Details on flights in this article...

THAI cancels all Europe flights

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...europe-flights
the news contains some wrong Information
Swiss did not cancel their flight LX181 BKK ZRH! the flight left BKK and arrived after a fuel stop in Muscat with around 3 hours delay
also in the opposite direction they fly; LX180 left on time last evening and after flying via U.A.E. Mumbai (south of Pakistan) is approaching currently Bangkok
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
None of us (I think) knows the reason why Thai took the decision that they did in no doubt difficult circumstances, so let's stop criticism at the first opportunity. Passnegers may have been displeased not to travel on Thai last night, but they may have been equally displeased to travel on BR and return to Bangkok after almost four hours of the outward journey. No win situation and maybe it should be considered that Thai has many flights departing to Europe late night compared to other airlines.
SKT-DK, joy16, BinSabai and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Look what SQ managed to do (before continuing to LHR) after flying right into the no fly zone!

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...sq308#1fa20062
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:16 pm

re: passport taken from passengers

you can of course argue that your passport is the property of your homeland and that you would never handover…
as a matter of fact, passengers already airside (already gone through immigration and checked out of the country) had the choice
- to hand over passport and leave airside for a hotel
- stay airside waiting for the next 24 hours or so...(no confirmation about your final flight)
up to you then and whether you would like to start a verbal argument with ground staff accompanied by security forces?

yes I heard this from passengers affected and no, it is not the first time I hear this as it was applied to other cases in the past as well

you could argue that it would be easy and simple to just give everybody a new entrance stamp...no, it is probably not as simple and will cause more troubles as not everybody is a tourist from a country with visa exemption. Some are on longer term visa with single reentry permit, some on double entry visa etc.etc.
SKT-DK and timmynl like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Apparently parts of India's northern airspace was also closed yesterday afternoon as well after the total closure of Pakistani airspace, making the required detour even longer - I am sure the uncertainty as to whether the closed area would be expanded further had something to do with the decision making too.

As for the logistics on the ground - as BinSabai says, pax have a choice of staying put at the airport if they do not wish to comply with the immigration police's directions. The fact that the police were flexible enough to give the option is a positive thing.
timmynl, wrp96 and BinSabai like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: ROP
From their app, it seems they've been granted the permission to fly over China airspace for flights to/from Europe instead of Iranian airspace.

Last edited by joy16; Feb 27, 2019 at 9:51 pm
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
Flights are resumed overflying China:

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ne...tPakistan.page
timmynl and BinSabai like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:04 pm

TG resumes flight today, flying north over China...
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tra...T0Ry98d6lds7GM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.