FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   TG reduce luggage allowance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1958003-tg-reduce-luggage-allowance.html)

BinSabai Feb 25, 2019 12:33 am

TG reduce luggage allowance

...for certain ticket categories in cattle class

just saw this by coincidence today...no official announcement and many travelers will be hit by surprise!

luggage allowance for economy class passenger:30 kg (66 pounds)
* Except
1) RBD L/ V/ W: 20 kg ( 44 pounds) for Ticketing/ Travelling effective on/ after 01 APR 19
2) RBD G: 20 kg (44 pounds) for Ticketing/ Travelling effective on/ after 01 JUL 19

SKT-DK Feb 25, 2019 3:55 am

I saw this too, reported on a Danish travel site. Must admit though that TG's Y class allowance has been very generous until now, and will now be in line with the rest of the industry.

Where I read this, it came alongside the news that U class (premium economy) is no longer offered to CPH after 26 October this year. This would bring CPH back in line with the rest of the network after they made the same move for ARN at the same time last year. I guess this suggest that J class demand is becoming strong enough to Scandinavia to warrant a full J class cabin on the 77W, which is good news! ^ As with the luggage allowance, this has not seen an official announcement either.

maerim Feb 25, 2019 5:02 am

One wonders how strictly TG will enforce it. I am a frequent traveller on one route in particular, return to Bangkok Saturday early am and depart late Sunday pm or Monday am and the hand luggage of many many passengers is more bulky and looks more heavy than the check in baggage of most passengers. TG may need to hire some heavies.

BinSabai Feb 25, 2019 7:08 am

Originally Posted by maerim (Post 30818799)
One wonders how strictly TG will enforce it. I am a frequent traveller on one route in particular, return to Bangkok Saturday early am and depart late Sunday pm or Monday am and the hand luggage of many many passengers is more bulky and looks more heavy than the check in baggage of most passengers. TG may need to hire some heavies.

BKK CNX?

maerim Feb 25, 2019 7:15 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 30819134)
BKK CNX?

BKK DEL I was referring to.

RTWFF Feb 26, 2019 2:19 am

EK introduced the same policy a couple of months ago. I assume the booking class shows up when the luggage is checked in

flyerby Mar 2, 2019 5:43 pm

Just bought a Y ticket BKK-HKT. TG reduced baggage allowance from 30KG to 20KG on the cheaper Y classes.

chris63 Mar 2, 2019 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby (Post 30840496)
Just bought a Y ticket BKK-HKT. TG reduced baggage allowance from 30KG to 20KG on the cheaper Y classes.

30 kg was extremely generous, in EU it’s only 20 kg & 32 kg in J & now there are lots of ‘light fares’ the cheapest Y tickets with no bags...

flyerby Mar 3, 2019 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 30841132)
30 kg was extremely generous, in EU it’s only 20 kg & 32 kg in J & now there are lots of ‘light fares’ the cheapest Y tickets with no bags...

I thought that’s why TG has WE for.

MikeFromTokyo Mar 3, 2019 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby (Post 30843130)

actually WE has a generous allowance. Premium economy “Smile Plus” gets 40kg, as I recall.

chris63 Mar 3, 2019 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby (Post 30843130)

I’d be amazed if TG knew why they had WE :D

TG are reducing the weight only on the cheaper fares, it makes sense to me.

Thai-Kiwi Mar 4, 2019 2:11 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 30843788)
actually WE has a generous allowance. Premium economy “Smile Plus” gets 40kg, as I recall.

Not quite. Thai Smile ‘Smile Plus’/PE allowance is:

30kg domestic flight
40kg international flight

Gus Mar 12, 2019 3:44 am

As a Silver card Royal Orchid member flying the cheapest economy will I still be allowed and extra 10Kg?
I am sure that my last tickets stated that I was allowed 40kg, so if I still get the extra 10 Kg then 30Kg is fine.
20Kg for the cheapest economy seats is OK, as long as TG do not go to 10 seat rows on the 777. :)

Main Wheel Mar 12, 2019 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Gus (Post 30876399)
As a Silver card Royal Orchid member flying the cheapest economy will I still be allowed and extra 10Kg?
I am sure that my last tickets stated that I was allowed 40kg, so if I still get the extra 10 Kg then 30Kg is fine.
20Kg for the cheapest economy seats is OK, as long as TG do not go to 10 seat rows on the 777. :)

Your ROP FF status baggage allowance will still apply.

coolfish1103 Mar 28, 2019 1:41 am

Since it said ticketing/traveling on or after April 1, if you purchase before April 1, is the bags 30 kg or 20 kg for travel after April 1?

My itn from the travel agency says 30 kg on it and logging in Thai website to manage booking I can find zero information on it.