Thai First to SYD via BKK or SQ J direct SIN-SYD

Old Feb 15, 19, 12:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Posts: 1,784
Thai First to SYD via BKK or SQ J direct SIN-SYD

Thai First to SIN-BKK-SYD or SQ J direct SIN-SYD ?

parameters:
  • TG BKK-SYD on Thai First is a red-eye
  • SQ SIN-SYD is a day flight
  • Couple accompanied with a baby on lap (4 month old)
  • Disregard your bias about presence of baby in your flight

TL;DR: is Thai First experience and BKK F massage worth the detour via BKK compared to direct SIN-SYD in business class with Singapore Airlines?
MasterGeek is offline  
Old Feb 15, 19, 1:11 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Posts: 2,544
IF COST/TIME arent a factor, then Thai First to SIN-BKK-SYD is better for you (the parents) to enjoy the trip.
-Larger bassinet seat (you will likely have an empty F class suite just for the baby stuff.
-Better attention by FAs to assist you with the baby in flight
-The F lounge at BKK (and complementary 1 hour massage session)
-The F assisted transit (with buggy and all)
-The F amenity kit and PJs!
-The Champagne and fine cuisine (one of you could stay sober?)

HOWEVER, travelling with a baby is usually quite stressful, and adding a transit point when you have the option of a direct flight is not recommended.
(Handling strollers, the longer flight, the additional worry of syncing up feed/sleep times to the itinerary...)
SQ would be the better flight for the baby (while the parents miss the stuff I mentioned above.

What does the mother think?
MasterGeek likes this.
Tokyoite is offline  
Old Feb 15, 19, 1:22 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
TG BKK SYD a red eye? you must be kidding! the flight is 8 Hours 30, so enough time for Sleep
red eyes are short night flights of 3-5 Hours...

with baby or kids i would go for the shortest way...
MasterGeek likes this.
BinSabai is offline  
Old Feb 15, 19, 2:10 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,288
For travel, there is an old adage that flying 'west is best, and east is least'. I have always found the 4-6 hours time zone change flying east from SE Asia to NZ to require some adjustment. So a day flight is 'generally' better - although I'd go for the mid-late morning departure to arrive in the evening and then straight to accommodation and sleep, rather than the early morning departure options.

I'd be tempted to support BinSabai's thought that keep it 'simple and short' when flying with kids - unless there really is a reason you desire to fly in F. At 4 months age, flying likely brings discomfort to a child (pressure changes etc etc) no matter what you do)
BinSabai and MasterGeek like this.
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old Feb 15, 19, 4:46 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,046
Would agree with both BinSabai and Thai-Kiwi: short and direct is definitely better.

If this is your first trip with a baby, you probably wouldn‘t be able to enjoy champagne and caviar anyway, and a connection means two more pressure changes for the child.
MasterGeek and BinSabai like this.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Feb 15, 19, 7:04 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Posts: 1,784
Thanks for the advice. I will stick with the SQ SIN-SYD direct flight. Connections incolve higher risk of delays amd I wouldn't want to be stuck with baby in BKK airport. Plus day flight means we won't be desperate in try to make baby fall asleep. She can stay awake as long as she doesn't cry
BinSabai and worldclubber like this.
MasterGeek is offline  
Old Feb 16, 19, 10:54 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: TK E+, RJ P
Posts: 1,005
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
TG BKK SYD a red eye? you must be kidding! the flight is 8 Hours 30, so enough time for Sleep
red eyes are short night flights of 3-5 Hours...
In commercial aviation, a red-eye flight is a flight scheduled to depart at night and arrive the next morning. While any overnight flight may be considered a red-eye, the term is most commonly used for west-to-east flights that take advantage of time differences in order to move passengers long distances without the loss of a business day. For example, in North America red-eye flights typically depart from the West Coast between 10:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. and arrive on the East Coast between 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. the next day. Due to local time changes and the short overnight flight duration, passengers arrive on the East Coast at the beginning of the next day without having adequate time for a full night sleep.

The term "red-eye" derives from the symptom of having red eyes, which can be caused by fatigue or late-night travel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_flight
flyerby is offline  
Old Feb 16, 19, 11:30 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
Originally Posted by flyerby View Post


In commercial aviation, a red-eye flight is a flight scheduled to depart at night and arrive the next morning. While any overnight flight may be considered a red-eye, the term is most commonly used for west-to-east flights that take advantage of time differences in order to move passengers long distances without the loss of a business day. For example, in North America red-eye flights typically depart from the West Coast between 10:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. and arrive on the East Coast between 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. the next day. Due to local time changes and the short overnight flight duration, passengers arrive on the East Coast at the beginning of the next day without having adequate time for a full night sleep.

The term "red-eye" derives from the symptom of having red eyes, which can be caused by fatigue or late-night travel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_flight
thanks teacher!
BinSabai is offline  
Old Feb 16, 19, 11:34 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 12,373
You can get a massage anywhere.

I've been on both to Syd and would go SQ J.
MasterGeek and RTWFF like this.
Annalisa12 is offline  
Old Feb 18, 19, 3:33 pm
  #10  
Ambassador: Air New Zealand
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wellington NZ
Programs: NZ Gold, EK Gold, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 1,263
There is no guarantee you would get a BKK F massage.
WLG Base is online now  
Old Feb 18, 19, 7:28 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
Originally Posted by WLG Base View Post
There is no guarantee you would get a BKK F massage.
at least a 2 times 30 minutes massage I was always offered when flying F and in more than 9 of 10 cases the 1 hour massage
worldclubber likes this.
BinSabai is offline  
Old Feb 18, 19, 7:44 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YYZ
Programs: Hilton Plat Mariott Gold UA Gold NEXUS
Posts: 1,018
I didn't love the transit at BKK to Australia weird liquid restrictions at the gate. First was nice but I'd go direct in J as well - as long as you're lie flat you're golden . . .
atsak is online now  
Old Feb 18, 19, 11:47 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,856
Some babies seem to encounter difficulty flying, possibly due to pressure changes. If I am travelling with a baby I would opt for the shortest flight.
BinSabai likes this.
BF263533 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 19, 12:26 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,046
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
at least a 2 times 30 minutes massage I was always offered when flying F and in more than 9 of 10 cases the 1 hour massage


60 mins was not available last week, but the were swift to offer 2x 30 without hesitation.
BinSabai likes this.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Feb 19, 19, 3:42 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
Originally Posted by atsak View Post
I didn't love the transit at BKK to Australia weird liquid restrictions at the gate. First was nice but I'd go direct in J as well - as long as you're lie flat you're golden . . .
just on flights to Australia requested by Australian authorities!
RTWFF likes this.
BinSabai is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread