FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Thai First to SYD via BKK or SQ J direct SIN-SYD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1956406-thai-first-syd-via-bkk-sq-j-direct-sin-syd.html)

MasterGeek Feb 15, 2019 12:09 am

Thai First to SYD via BKK or SQ J direct SIN-SYD

Thai First to SIN-BKK-SYD or SQ J direct SIN-SYD ?

parameters:
  • TG BKK-SYD on Thai First is a red-eye
  • SQ SIN-SYD is a day flight
  • Couple accompanied with a baby on lap (4 month old)
  • Disregard your bias about presence of baby in your flight

TL;DR: is Thai First experience and BKK F massage worth the detour via BKK compared to direct SIN-SYD in business class with Singapore Airlines?

Tokyoite Feb 15, 2019 1:11 am

IF COST/TIME arent a factor, then Thai First to SIN-BKK-SYD is better for you (the parents) to enjoy the trip.
-Larger bassinet seat (you will likely have an empty F class suite just for the baby stuff.
-Better attention by FAs to assist you with the baby in flight
-The F lounge at BKK (and complementary 1 hour massage session)
-The F assisted transit (with buggy and all)
-The F amenity kit and PJs!
-The Champagne and fine cuisine (one of you could stay sober?)

HOWEVER, travelling with a baby is usually quite stressful, and adding a transit point when you have the option of a direct flight is not recommended.
(Handling strollers, the longer flight, the additional worry of syncing up feed/sleep times to the itinerary...)
SQ would be the better flight for the baby (while the parents miss the stuff I mentioned above.

What does the mother think?

BinSabai Feb 15, 2019 1:22 am

TG BKK SYD a red eye? you must be kidding! the flight is 8 Hours 30, so enough time for Sleep
red eyes are short night flights of 3-5 Hours...

with baby or kids i would go for the shortest way...

Thai-Kiwi Feb 15, 2019 2:10 am

For travel, there is an old adage that flying 'west is best, and east is least'. I have always found the 4-6 hours time zone change flying east from SE Asia to NZ to require some adjustment. So a day flight is 'generally' better - although I'd go for the mid-late morning departure to arrive in the evening and then straight to accommodation and sleep, rather than the early morning departure options.

I'd be tempted to support BinSabai's thought that keep it 'simple and short' when flying with kids - unless there really is a reason you desire to fly in F. At 4 months age, flying likely brings discomfort to a child (pressure changes etc etc) no matter what you do)

worldclubber Feb 15, 2019 4:46 am

Would agree with both BinSabai and Thai-Kiwi: short and direct is definitely better.

If this is your first trip with a baby, you probably wouldn‘t be able to enjoy champagne and caviar anyway, and a connection means two more pressure changes for the child.

MasterGeek Feb 15, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will stick with the SQ SIN-SYD direct flight. Connections incolve higher risk of delays amd I wouldn't want to be stuck with baby in BKK airport. Plus day flight means we won't be desperate in try to make baby fall asleep. She can stay awake as long as she doesn't cry ;)

flyerby Feb 16, 2019 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 30781073)
TG BKK SYD a red eye? you must be kidding! the flight is 8 Hours 30, so enough time for Sleep
red eyes are short night flights of 3-5 Hours...

In commercial aviation, a red-eye flight is a flight scheduled to depart at night and arrive the next morning. While any overnight flight may be considered a red-eye, the term is most commonly used for west-to-east flights that take advantage of time differences in order to move passengers long distances without the loss of a business day. For example, in North America red-eye flights typically depart from the West Coast between 10:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. and arrive on the East Coast between 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. the next day. Due to local time changes and the short overnight flight duration, passengers arrive on the East Coast at the beginning of the next day without having adequate time for a full night sleep.

The term "red-eye" derives from the symptom of having red eyes, which can be caused by fatigue or late-night travel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_flight

BinSabai Feb 16, 2019 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby (Post 30787823)

In commercial aviation, a red-eye flight is a flight scheduled to depart at night and arrive the next morning. While any overnight flight may be considered a red-eye, the term is most commonly used for west-to-east flights that take advantage of time differences in order to move passengers long distances without the loss of a business day. For example, in North America red-eye flights typically depart from the West Coast between 10:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. and arrive on the East Coast between 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. the next day. Due to local time changes and the short overnight flight duration, passengers arrive on the East Coast at the beginning of the next day without having adequate time for a full night sleep.

The term "red-eye" derives from the symptom of having red eyes, which can be caused by fatigue or late-night travel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_flight

thanks teacher!:cool:

Annalisa12 Feb 16, 2019 11:34 pm

You can get a massage anywhere.

I've been on both to Syd and would go SQ J.

WLG Base Feb 18, 2019 3:33 pm

There is no guarantee you would get a BKK F massage.

BinSabai Feb 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by WLG Base (Post 30794267)
There is no guarantee you would get a BKK F massage.

at least a 2 times 30 minutes massage I was always offered when flying F and in more than 9 of 10 cases the 1 hour massage

atsak Feb 18, 2019 7:44 pm

I didn't love the transit at BKK to Australia weird liquid restrictions at the gate. First was nice but I'd go direct in J as well - as long as you're lie flat you're golden . . .

BF263533 Feb 18, 2019 11:47 pm

Some babies seem to encounter difficulty flying, possibly due to pressure changes. If I am travelling with a baby I would opt for the shortest flight.

worldclubber Feb 19, 2019 12:26 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 30794966)
at least a 2 times 30 minutes massage I was always offered when flying F and in more than 9 of 10 cases the 1 hour massage

^

60 mins was not available last week, but the were swift to offer 2x 30 without hesitation.

BinSabai Feb 19, 2019 3:42 am

Originally Posted by atsak (Post 30794998)
I didn't love the transit at BKK to Australia weird liquid restrictions at the gate. First was nice but I'd go direct in J as well - as long as you're lie flat you're golden . . .

just on flights to Australia requested by Australian authorities!