FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   New TG Lounge Taking Shape At BKK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1955630-new-tg-lounge-taking-shape-bkk.html)

chris63 Nov 20, 19 3:01 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 31749355)
Surprised to see 3/4 being non-French wines considering TG's long-lasting obsession with (mediocre) French wine.
I must admit that I am actually rather intrigued by the new TG ground service now - not that I would ever choose a flight based on a lounge, but it is definitely an improvement that could make me not trying to avoid TG in the future.

I am still trying to avoid TG but the Prestige lounge was very convenient for my SQ flight to SIN departing from D3. :D

SKT-DK Nov 20, 19 3:02 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31756974)
Never thought I would ever be able to say this about a TG lounge but itís very nice 👍
Only goes to show miracles can happen :D

Very quiet yesterday lunchtime, food wise for western dishes, more choice at SQ lounge but fair enough itís in Thailand & the live cooking stations are impressive

The single TIP in the F aquarium looked like a Goldfish in a bowl with everyone walking past staring in :D

Wine is most impressive for a J lounge, they go from no wine to decent stuff ..... amazing

That does sound interesting, and like a good improvement over the sad current state of the other lounges - guess I would have to bite the bullet of taking a TG flight sometime soon :D
First things first though, CX next week :)

SKT-DK Nov 20, 19 3:03 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31756981)
I am still trying to avoid TG but the Prestige lounge was very convenient for my SQ flight to SIN departing from D3. :D

:D

Yeah that's true - could be another Star Alliance flight too haha !

RTWFF Nov 22, 19 12:58 am

I was directed to the new lounge when departing Swampy yesterday morning. The flunkeys attempted to direct me to somewhere further in than the first area (which was pretty deserted (hooray) so I settled there). The only criticism I have was that the bacon and eggs were cold - there seemed to be no warming equipment provided. Walking to my gate through the original lounge I could see it had plenty of seating available

Thai-Kiwi Nov 22, 19 2:59 am

Not sure describing the THAI staff as 'flunkeys' adds much value to your post - what are you actually trying to say? Or what about their behaviour was objectionable?

Mind you, I suppose they may have special 'terms of endearment' for certain passengers as well.....

maerim Nov 22, 19 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31764702)
Not sure describing the THAI staff as 'flunkeys' adds much value to your post - what are you actually trying to say? Or what about their behaviour was objectionable?

Mind you, I suppose they may have special 'terms of endearment' for certain passengers as well.....

I am glad that I am not one of his 'flunkeys'.

kkl Nov 22, 19 9:35 am

Lounge staff were actively ushering TG C passengers to new lounge

*G and partners to old lounge

RTWFF Nov 22, 19 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31764702)
Not sure describing the THAI staff as 'flunkeys' .....

"flunkey - a liveried servant"

Kacee Nov 23, 19 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by RTWFF (Post 31767878)
"flunkey - a liveried servant"

You're not helping yourself here.

Thai-Kiwi Nov 23, 19 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 31765652)
Lounge staff were actively ushering TG C passengers to new lounge

*G and partners to old lounge

I wonder if TG could follow SQ and transition this ‘Prestige Lounge’ to be a business class (and ROP Plat) lounge given the apparent ‘step up’ in quality and noting kkl’s comment?

RTWFF Nov 23, 19 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31769104)
You're not helping yourself here.

Oh dear

kkl Nov 23, 19 10:25 pm

Aircon situation still not fixed. Was like a sauna in there

Kacee Nov 24, 19 1:32 am

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 31770507)
Aircon situation still not fixed. Was like a sauna in there

When I was there it was cooler than the terminal. That's where the problem seems to be.

chris63 Nov 24, 19 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31770743)
When I was there it was cooler than the terminal. That's where the problem seems to be.

Yes, the terminal was too hot last week & the very wide & open entrances were letting that heat into the new lounge...

maerim Nov 24, 19 8:54 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31771394)
Yes, the terminal was too hot last week & the very wide & open entrances were letting that heat into the new lounge...

You are obviously not acclimatized to the climate in SE Asia and other countries. Try spending time in Tokyo for example in July and August and working in an office with the temperature fixed at 27C - I guess you would be finding an excuse to drink a beer. Do you really think that the locals would like the temperature set at bleary SOT temperatures? Get real and stop being so critical - it is so boring apart from being unnecessary. In your case stick to Lufthansa if you don't like other options.

chris63 Nov 24, 19 9:32 am

Originally Posted by maerim (Post 31771423)
You are obviously not acclimatized to the climate in SE Asia and other countries. Try spending time in Tokyo for example in July and August and working in an office with the temperature fixed at 27C - I guess you would be finding an excuse to drink a beer. Do you really think that the locals would like the temperature set at bleary SOT temperatures? Get real and stop being so critical - it is so boring apart from being unnecessary. In your case stick to Lufthansa if you don't like other options.

Since I have a home in Thailand, of course Iím used to SE Asia temperatures & that goes with my knowledge of Shops, Offices, Public buildings etc being capable of providing competent air conditioning of those premises, Swampy lets the side down !

Thanks for your advice, I wonít be taking it :D

Kacee Nov 24, 19 11:52 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31771520)
Swampy lets the side down !

And based on dozens of prior passes through this airport, there was definitely something wrong with the A/C in Swampy when I last passed through two weeks ago. They had signs up in the lounge to that effect.

SKT-DK Nov 24, 19 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31771520)
Since I have a home in Thailand, of course Iím used to SE Asia temperatures & that goes with my knowledge of Shops, Offices, Public buildings etc being capable of providing competent air conditioning of those premises, Swampy lets the side down !

I guess it is also a matter of what different people see as "competent a/c". Most of the offices I frequent in BKK (incl. my own employer's) have centrally controlled A/C and they provide for an indoor climate suitable only for polar bears and penguins. Often times, I would actually welcome a broken A/C for a change :D

chris63 Nov 25, 19 2:02 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 31773302)
I guess it is also a matter of what different people see as "competent a/c". Most of the offices I frequent in BKK (incl. my own employer's) have centrally controlled A/C and they provide for an indoor climate suitable only for polar bears and penguins. Often times, I would actually welcome a broken A/C for a change :D

Yes, thatís a good point & I agree but Swampy is often too hot & people need to often walk long distances carrying things, not good enough at BKK... in the case of the new lounge itís crazy to have such huge openings letting that hot air inside, otherwise itís a super lounge 👍

SKT-DK Nov 25, 19 2:24 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31773863)
Yes, thatís a good point & I agree but Swampy is often too hot & people need to often walk long distances carrying things, not good enough at BKK... in the case of the new lounge itís crazy to have such huge openings letting that hot air inside, otherwise itís a super lounge 👍

I agree with you completely - recently Suvarnabhumi has warmed up quite a bit, but funnily enough it used to be freezing cold at some stage before that. Strange how they cannot seem to get it right - maybe they are trying to accommodate the small birds flying around inside the terminal rather than pax? :D

chris63 Nov 25, 19 8:13 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 31773905)
I agree with you completely - recently Suvarnabhumi has warmed up quite a bit, but funnily enough it used to be freezing cold at some stage before that. Strange how they cannot seem to get it right - maybe they are trying to accommodate the small birds flying around inside the terminal rather than pax? :D

Yes, thatís my impression, it was much cooler before & getting warmer recently, there must be a reason for it, hope the birds are enjoying it, quite surprised they were not at the new food station, since nothing to stop them. :D

Thai-Kiwi Nov 25, 19 10:54 am

FWIW, my office building when I worked in Bangkok used a temperature differential rather than a fixed thermostat setting, eg target room temp =outside temp-12. Apparently this was a sophisticated energy saving approach as the aircon would have to alter its efforts (just the humans inside :) )

This meant that in winter when it was 30 outside, it was too cold inside at 18; but in summer when it was 38, it was an unbearable 26 inside....

I attended the opening of Suvarnabhumi, and the I noted the tiny dots over the glass exterior which ruins any photographic desires. The small dots are apparently ceramic and designed to deal with the heat in a way to avoid diurnal (day-night) temp variation by absorbing heat in the day and gently radiating it at night, perhaps with the idea that the aircon would not need to change its cooling efforts (much) over a 24 hour period. This is a few years ago now and I forget the exact details - but look for the small dots!

brunos Dec 2, 19 10:52 pm

Got my first visit to the new lounge yesterday. Temperature was fine.
Less than 10 pax, while other lounge was more crowded. Lots of excited serving staff. Lounge design and seating not great, but food truly impressive.
Drinkable wines. Two reds (French, Italian) and two white Chardonays from Australia., Prosecco. But they also have an impressive list of cocktails. Wifey tasted one and it was quite good.
They have a kitchen bar where they cook three dishes. One"instant noodle soup". Despite the unappealing name, it was a Thai Tom Yom with a poached egg and chicken and it was top quality. I also tasted a Pad Thai done freshly in front of me with top-quality products, again outstanding. I did not try the third one, some other soup.
Extensive salad bar and several hot dishes buffet style. Their selection of small deserts is wonderful. Very different from the low quality stuff served in the old lounge (I checked).
I have many criticisms for TG, but that new lounge is to high international standards.

Thai-Kiwi Dec 19, 19 2:40 am

Not available to other *A business class pax?!

From Thaiís FB post. See the highlighted text - does this mean the Prestige Lounge is not available to other *A pax in business class ?? (who are not *G)

Royal Orchid Prestige Lounge, Concourse D, 3rd floor, Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport, is looking forward to providing you the best and most comfortable experience before you embark on your airbourne journey!

Opens daily 05.00 AM - 02.00 AM (the following day)

*Only available for Royal First and Royal Silk Class passengers, Royal Orchid Plus Platinum and Gold members, and Star Alliance Gold members.

RTWFF Dec 19, 19 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31855537)
From Thaiís FB post. See the highlighted text - does this mean the Prestige Lounge is not available to other *A pax in business class ?? (who are not *G)

It's certainly available to other *A Gold in Economy

pandalama Dec 19, 19 8:02 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF (Post 31855599)
It's certainly available to other *A Gold in Economy

yup. Can confirm here as well. Feeling a little weird when the older crappier lounge is reserved for BC pax.

Is TG planning an additional lounge at the satellite terminal? Hence why theyíre not doing further refurb on any other lounges.

Thai-Kiwi Dec 19, 19 12:25 pm

@pandalama RTWFF Please re-read my post.

I know it is available to other *G. The question is whether biz pax, who are not *G and are not flying Royal Silk class, have access. The language on the FB posts suggests not.

RTWFF Dec 20, 19 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31857243)

I know it is available to other *G. The question is whether biz pax, who are not *G and are not flying Royal Silk class, have access. The language on the FB posts suggests not.

Presumably FB = Facebook. As I'm an adult I don't bother with such things

pandalama Dec 20, 19 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31857243)

Post read and understood. And no I cannot answer your question.
But if you asked the staff that permitted passengers into the Prestige lounge they confirmed that other airlines BC pax without *A status can access this lounge.

Thai-Kiwi Dec 20, 19 2:52 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF (Post 31859274)
Presumably FB = Facebook. As I'm an adult I don't bother with such things

Not sure what the purpose of your comment was... ?

As an adult, I am aware that THAI Airways uses a number means to communicate with passengers globally, and that such passengers are also mostly adults or perhaps those persons that one day may develop sufficient maturity to become adults.

EGW1 Jan 27, 20 10:49 am

Tried the lounge today and was very impressed, it is huge! Very quiet too. Food station was good. Comfy seats and immaculate facilities. Food onboard was excellent too. TG is now fantastic in terms of curb-side to lounge experience at BKK...can be easily done within 5-10 minutes including check in, security and passport control, and now down the escalator into a wonderful lounge space, which was previously average. Great premium experience. Some pics below.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b6a819768.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e570131d6.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...41df8435d.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ff95602c8.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f9a4dfa04.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2816ec75c.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c396220d3.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3b92bfe52.jpeg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8331caf33.jpeg

Thai-Kiwi Jan 27, 20 11:11 am

Great pictures. Thanks for posting.

view Jan 27, 20 3:35 pm

Had the pleasure of experiencing this lounge recently, really nice upgrade from the old lounge beside it. Loved the cooked to order menu with some lovely fresh cooked Thai dishes, very tasty. Also like that they have a full bar at each end of the lounge. Some seating areas were too cold for me due to AC blasting. Overall a major upgrade.

restlessinRNO Jan 27, 20 7:43 pm

EGW1 - Thank you for your TG Lounge photos. :)

Kacee Jan 27, 20 10:54 pm

Except they seem to have forgotten the chili in the pad kra pao!