Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft Swap - 744, Business Class Only

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RTWFF
The understatement of the year! OK for a daytime flight but really the equivalent of PE on some other airlines. For overnight, no lie-flat is the killer
Which airlines operating a Y, PE and J (and maybe F) config are offering angled lie-flat as a PE product??
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Which airlines operating a Y, PE and J (and maybe F) config are offering angled lie-flat as a PE product??
JL, SQ, NH, SK....but, "angled lie-flat" is quite broad and ambigous.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
JL, SQ, NH, SK....but, "angled lie-flat" is quite broad and ambigous.
Please tell me you are joking?! Comparing those airlines’ premium economy seats to any TG J seat?!

Please enlighten me as to what is anywhere near flat when it comes to those seats? And what warrants it to be compared to a 170-ish degree flat seat?

Unless you are comparing your SK, JL etc to the old 737 J seat, then I honestly have no idea what you are on about
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I have to agree. Air NZ’s PE seat has 42-44” pitch, and a decent recline but is not at all comparable to TG’s old angle-flat J seats.

I guess the real point is that using these older J seats on longhaul 8+ hours is not comparable to many airlines offering fully flat seats, including TG. So, beside aircraft changes for op/tech reasons, I do have to wonder if retaining the 744 longhaul is all about providing an F service to Australia (and maybe Europe).....
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I have to agree. Air NZ’s PE seat has 42-44” pitch, and a decent recline but is not at all comparable to TG’s old angle-flat J seats.
I guess the real point is that using these older J seats on longhaul 8+ hours is not comparable to many airlines offering fully flat seats, including TG. So, beside aircraft changes for op/tech reasons, I do have to wonder if retaining the 744 longhaul is all about providing an F service to Australia (and maybe Europe).....
the claim that TG's old J angle flat seats with 170 degrees recline are comparable to other airlines premium economy seats is just utterly nonsense! it is nothing than the usual TG bashing…
there is no regular route to Europe anymore with 744 or any other airlpane that does not have full flat seats in J. Once the 787 are fully operational, there will also be no occasional 744 on those routes.

What TG is desparately missing is a new modern airplane with F; they have only few A380 and only few destinations (LHR, CDG, FRA, Japan) can fill an A380. But there are several other destinations with a reasonable market for F like SYD, Japan (NRT, HND, KIX) and some destinations like MUC, ZRH in Europe
Thai-Kiwi, SKT-DK and joy16 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I've only flown Thai Once, DPS-BKK-HKT-BKK-DPS, and none one of the legs had the equipment originally scheduled. I flew a 773 DPS-BKK, 747 BKK-HKT A300 HKT-BKK and A330 BKK-DPS, so I wouldn't count on anything LOL
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I've only flown Thai Once, DPS-BKK-HKT-BKK-DPS, and none one of the legs had the equipment originally scheduled. I flew a 773 DPS-BKK, 747 BKK-HKT A300 HKT-BKK and A330 BKK-DPS, so I wouldn't count on anything LOL
A300? that must have been 10 or so years ago
TG has much less Aircraft swaps than in the past
from my 20 last flights, there was only one, announced around 4 weeks in advance and a pleasant one for me: 77w got changed into a 747 and I got automatically a seat in F
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by BinSabai
A300? that must have been 10 or so years ago
It was in Mar 2013
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
What TG is desparately missing is a new modern airplane with F; they have only few A380 and only few destinations (LHR, CDG, FRA, Japan) can fill an A380. But there are several other destinations with a reasonable market for F like SYD, Japan (NRT, HND, KIX) and some destinations like MUC, ZRH in Europe
Question is if there really is a market for it, or if most of the F cabins these days fill up with UA award travellers who earn their points from credit card sign-up bonuses
That aside, I agree that TG severely lack a plane with F rather than the A380s and 747s. I think they should have considered what MH failed at - having a four-seat F cabin on the A359. I tried it just before it was re-branded as Business Suites (and over-optimistic move, if you ask me) and it was quite brilliant. Plus, it would not result in sacrificing that many J seats (maybe a net loss of 2-4 seats overall?).
andyptrav and BinSabai like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Plus, it would not result in sacrificing that many J seats (maybe a net loss of 2-4 seats overall?).
I don't know if you can get more than one row using that configuration? It's simply the front row which they have given full length rather than the feet going into a cubby. The long box containing the legs of the seat behind are still there... so anything more than one row you'd have different width seats? (Row one would be wide, row two, containing the box for the pax behind legs, would be narrow.)

With one row there's no loss of seats at all.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I don't know if you can get more than one row using that configuration? It's simply the front row which they have given full length rather than the feet going into a cubby. The long box containing the legs of the seat behind are still there... so anything more than one row you'd have different width seats? (Row one would be wide, row two, containing the box for the pax behind legs, would be narrow.)

With one row there's no loss of seats at all.
Please correct me if I misunderstand your post (I am not entirely sure). I think you are right regarding the first row being full length still but if introducing a separate F cabin, even if just one row, the first row of J will have to be full length too, due to the hard wall between the cabins. So I would expect they would lose perhaps a metre or so, likely resulting in perhaps 2-4 J seats lost.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Please correct me if I misunderstand your post (I am not entirely sure). I think you are right regarding the first row being full length still but if introducing a separate F cabin, even if just one row, the first row of J will have to be full length too, due to the hard wall between the cabins. So I would expect they would lose perhaps a metre or so, likely resulting in perhaps 2-4 J seats lost.
With this seat you can have a separate cabin with just one row by using a cabin bulkhead between the 'F' cabin and 'J' cabin. Some airlines like China Eastern have chosen not to have the bulkhead (or other type of wall). You can't however have two rows of F with this seat model, unless you have a different product across the two rows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.