Wiki Posts
Search

Gold awaard 2019 a little different?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Gold awaard 2019 a little different?

So, I just received the email from Thai re the gold award and it looks like it has significantly less value than in previous years.

"Departing from Bangkok, choose from any THAI destination, from London or Sydney or Tokyo, among over 70 cities that THAI serves. For Gold members residing abroad, travel to Thailand or continue onwards from Bangkok with convenient connections to a new or favorite destination on the THAI network."

So from AKL to LHR or LHR to DEL would not be possible from my reading of the offer. Has anyone from outside Thailand had a try at this yet? I would be interested to hear.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
actually in the past it was not fair for those with residence in Thailand...hahaha
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
@Flyingbiker, dont worry. I have just booked the Gold award for Mrs TK to fly AKL-BKK-ZRH in J return for 85,000 miles. Stopover in BKK both ways.

So no change from previous years as far as I can tell.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:00 am

I think the "Departing from Bangkok" is because the script is written for a Thai market. "Valid on all international THAI operated flights" suggests it's any THAI flight, as has been the case, but I think Thai Smile is excluded from the offer.

The "subject to availability" is the issue. Years ago I could request a flight and if not available it was waitlisted and became available in a couple of days. Sadly that isn't the case now. Repeated requests to Bangkok are met with refusals. The award flights are unavailable at times when load factors are expected to be good. The awards seem to be only available on flights predicted to have a light load. This makes redemptions difficult for those who are not able to be flexible with their travel dates.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
@11277m. Gold award availability is the same as the general availability of award flights. It has always been the case that long term planning is best, and I agree that in days gone by it was possible to waitlist (but this was discretionary and not official policy as far as I know).

Thai Smile has never been included for Gold awards, and it is fact that redemptions are possible on any combination of THAI International services (subject to availability).

I could bemoan the much increased cost of Q class airfares, and the greater costs to attain/maintain Gold. But this is life I suppose...Oh for the good old days, but we have what we have
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:28 pm

Deleted
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
@11277m. Gold award availability is the same as the general availability of award flights. It has always been the case that long term planning is best,
Yes, I like to book as soon as the flights become available, which was always predictable with some other airlines, but does seem to be getting better with THAI. The recent lack of award availabilty I have experienced was for requests 10 months away.

I've found a way around the issue, though it involved spending more money and a very poor use of the 50% Gold award, but at least all my trips for 2019 are now booked.

Now I can set about ensuring I accrue 50k miles in 2020.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: BRK-B
Once I booked LHR-BKK-DPS rtn all in BC on B77W, it is the best redemption I have ever had.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Noppasit
Once I booked LHR-BKK-DPS rtn all in BC on B77W, it is the best redemption I have ever had.
Just under 8,000 miles. Good value.

I think that more than once you have mentioned the lack of award availability BKK-LHR in the first week of January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.