Thai A380 economy vs Cathay A350 economy

Old Jan 8, 19, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Thai A380 economy vs Cathay A350 economy

Hey folks,

I'll be changing my usual emirates option for either Cathay or Thai from London to Bangkok. For those who have tried the Cathay A350 and the Thai A380 which wins out? Pros and cons? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 8, 19, 5:31 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
I cannot comment on the respective airlines in economy, but if in economy, surely I would opt for the quicker, direct option any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jan 8, 19, 4:51 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
And note that LHR-BKK direct on THAI can be on either 77W or 380. Agree that the direct flight would be preferable to me.
Old Jan 8, 19, 5:52 pm

Programs: United GS, SPG & Marriott Platinum
If in biz, I would choose TG for the direct, non-stop routing and the food. CX for the seats, but only marginally. Can't say for economy because I've never tried.
If I were you, I'd go with TG for flying direct - why torture yourself more than you have to? If price is concerned, then that's another story...
Old Jan 9, 19, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I'm in two minds about this... on the one hand I agree to fly direct, and TG economy is not bad. But CX does have some things in its favour... like an excellent choice for IFE (which is better than TG) and I found the service offering better CX. For example on TG if you want a mixed drink (like a gin and tonic) outside of the pre-meal bar everyone was told the crew don't do 'at-seat' service for these and we have to go to the galley. On CX they will bring you the drink. Not a huge deal, but one service ethic is a bit more relaxing than the other.

Agree in biz class TG is a good choice non-stop.
Old Jan 9, 19, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Sorry for the confusion. My destination is Kaohsiung so it's Thai via BKK or CX via Kongers.

CX is edging it because the onward flight to Taiwan is 1 hour vs 3 from BKK yet the flight time to HK and BKK is quite similar. But I prefer the A380 because I like to walk around and they have big spaces at the back near the stairs where I can hangout reading a book whereas that looks to be a super large galley on the CX A350 and the crew might get annoyed with me lingering there

Thanks for the note on the possible 77W switch. I'd be annoyed to have given up the CX A350 to be put on a TG 777

MY OTHER option is China Airlines direct to Taipei in premium economy. Wondering if it's worth the extra 200 though. It is in an A350 and there PE cabin does look nice....then high speed train down to Kaohsiung
Old Jan 9, 19, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by dingobingo View Post
Sorry for the confusion. My destination is Kaohsiung so it's Thai via BKK or CX via Kongers.

CX is edging it because the onward flight to Taiwan is 1 hour vs 3 from BKK yet the flight time to HK and BKK is quite similar. But I prefer the A380 because I like to walk around and they have big spaces at the back near the stairs where I can hangout reading a book whereas that looks to be a super large galley on the CX A350 and the crew might get annoyed with me lingering there

Thanks for the note on the possible 77W switch. I'd be annoyed to have given up the CX A350 to be put on a TG 777

MY OTHER option is China Airlines direct to Taipei in premium economy. Wondering if it's worth the extra 200 though. It is in an A350 and there PE cabin does look nice....then high speed train down to Kaohsiung
With a connection then go CX.

China Airlines premium economy on the 359 is great! I'd say it is well worth the 200. If you can get the front row bulkhead (either side, just not the centre) - there is plenty of legroom to put your cabin bag on the ground (during flight) and use it to give you a horizontal legrest. Coupled with generous recline that makes for pretty good sleeping conditions.
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Great intel thank you!
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:31 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dingobingo View Post
I have no experience with China Airlines (but extensive with Air China)
However I have been a couple of times on the High Speed Train and it is very good, reliable, comfortable and easy accessible for foreigners. Like in China or Korea and nearly as good as in Japan
Old Jan 9, 19, 5:11 pm

Programs: TK E+, DL, WY, Radisson R
Before you drop off, aren't CX 777 10 seats across like 3-4-3? For just a little more time I'd pick TG in Y in A380. You'll be much better rested.

The major downside for TG is catering, though I heard it's not much better with CX these days.
Old Jan 12, 19, 4:20 am

Programs: Thai Royal Orchid
Flew with both TG's a380 and CX's a350. What bother me on CX's a350 was that the seats are not aligned withe the reading lights. First time in 6 years flying I encountered this. My light was right above the other's person seat, which resulted I couldn't read at all. Don't get it why CX aligned their seats like that.

Search this Thread