Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stolen items in TG business class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
agree with other posters: no detention, not even a second for passengers and crew, not for an overpaid smartphone and not even for 10'000 USD in cash.

however the OP has not yet ansered the question, whether he suspected some fellow passenger of the theft. In such a case, I could imagine that police would detain the suspected passenger for questioning. But it would depend on value and plausibility of accusation. Sure not for a phone cord and probably not even for a "lost" smartphone (professional thieves do not steal trackable smartphones and other such devices)...
RTWFF and Flyingbiker like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Originally Posted by BinSabai
agree with other posters: no detention, not even a second for passengers and crew, not for an overpaid smartphone and not even for 10'000 USD in cash.

however the OP has not yet ansered the question, whether he suspected some fellow passenger of the theft. In such asy worls alright! case, I could imagine that police would detain the suspected passenger for questioning. But it would depend on value and plausibility of accusation. Sure not for a phone cord and probably not even for a "lost" smartphone (professional thieves do not steal trackable smartphones and other such devices)...
Forget the legality of a detention and search, look at the logistics of it, 300 passengers and crew at around 5 minutes per person for a personal and hand luggage search, 25 police man/woman hours plus however long it would take to search the aircraft. Where would they conduct the search, on the air bridge? In the aircraft? For a phone!?!?! Fantasy world alright!
Thai-Kiwi, SKT-DK, RTWFF and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Flyingbiker
Forget the legality of a detention and search, look at the logistics of it, 300 passengers and crew at around 5 minutes per person for a personal and hand luggage search, 25 police man/woman hours plus however long it would take to search the aircraft. Where would they conduct the search, on the air bridge? In the aircraft? For a phone!?!?! Fantasy world alright!
not sure why you quote me as I also mentioned that a detention of all passengers and crew is unlikely, not even if a large amount of money or something very valuable is stolen
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Forget the legality ...For a phone!?!?! Fantasy world alright!
Not a phone but a phone charger that costs USD30...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by anaidross
and worth 2-3 USD
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:36 pm

BinSabai
not sure why you quote me as I also mentioned that a detention of all passengers and crew is unlikely, not even if a large amount of money or something very valuable is stolen

And I agree with you!
Thaikwai, BinSabai and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Flyingbiker; Jan 15, 2019 at 1:38 pm Reason: I meant to quote another poster, no context without quote
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by anaidross
And even that is questionable. The OP first writes about a phone "charger" but then mentions a "cord" as if he's talking about the same thing. Each can be bought separately and with an iPhone are in fact separate items
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RTWFF
And even that is questionable. The OP first writes about a phone "charger" but then mentions a "cord" as if he's talking about the same thing. Each can be bought separately and with an iPhone are in fact separate items
For clarity, since y'all are having a ball over this - it was the 'cord' portion of the charger.

If anything, this was an eye-opening experience in how little folks care about theft in business class. Thanks for providing the insight.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
For clarity, since y'all are having a ball over this - it was the 'cord' portion of the charger.

If anything, this was an eye-opening experience in how little folks care about theft in business class. Thanks for providing the insight.
It’s not a case of ‘dismissing’ the theft of property. It comes down to (a) motive (seems very little motive for theft in this case), (b) the cabin crew may have disconnected the phone and charger for safety reasons and the cord slipped down the side of the seat, and (c) you made no enquiries, which might have resulted in the cord being located.

(b) seems a more likely scenario than theft.
SKT-DK, RTWFF, anaidross and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:59 pm

Was this guy on the flight by any chance?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:34 pm

Was this guy on the flight by any chance?
necessary to divert this thread into US politics?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Just to back up my theory of the cord being disconnected dur to safety grounds, here's a comment from a thread by Onemileatatime discussing the use of USB fans (for aircraft without personal air vents):

A380Super says:You might want to bear in mind the fact that some airlines will not allow pax to have devices plugged into in-seat power outlets whilst asleep. Portable fans may not pose a fire safety hazard in the way that PEDs powered by lithium batteries do, but I can think of one major airline that instructs its crew to unplug passengers’ electronic devices, if their owners are asleep.
Hopefully this won’t be a problem for you because it looks like a good idea.

https://onemileatatime.com/best-portable-fan/

I think this supports the theory that the cord just slipped down rather than anything more serious.
RTWFF likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.