Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Airways online credit card verification extremely irritating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:21 am
Original Poster

I recently had an experience in which I gave up and bought a J ticket on a competing airline because the system used by TG (as well as PG and some other airlines) was extremely exasperating. This is not new, but in the past after a few attempts of entering the correct information, it used to process purchases for me. Now, the system prompts me to call my bank, which is a tedious inconvenience.

Instead, I decided to go to expedia.com to purchase tickets to SGN. Of course, the J fare TG loads into expedia is much more expensive than even the highest fare on TG’s own website.

So, I was actively trying, for about half an hour to buy two one way J tickets on TG as my preferred airline. I wanted to pay a premium over VN to fly TG. Then they made it a PITA to ticket online. So TG lost the business I was expressly trying to give to them as my preferred airline, and I ended up with VN J tickets.

I apologize for this rant, but I really think this system is ridiculous. It asks for all kinds of verification information, and then even upon completion of that process it still will not approve the ticket purchase. Does TG not realize that making this transaction difficult will drive business away from them and to their competitors or OTAs? Not too smart.

Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Were you trying to buy BKK/SGN return? I have never had an issue with online TG fares buying from NZ, Thailand, Malaysia or Korea.

My (NZ) credit card goes through a verification process to send me a text code to verify the transaction (Arcot systems?).

Could it be you are experiencing a different implementation of this check due to the card’s country of origin, wherever that might be?
RTWFF likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

It was a one way ticket for two pax. Until last month, my US credit card always eventually worked on TG’s website after a few attempts, and a confirmation email from the issuing bank authenticating the charge. That was a hassle, but tolerable.

Now, on this recent attempt, I was asked to call into my credit card company. I find that unduly tedious and irritating to purchase an airplane ticket, especially when I have already filled in my billing address and other authenticating information correctly.

So, I was actually trying, a considerable number of times to give TG ฿24,000~ worth of revenue for two short one way tickets. Their system irritated me to the extent that I went to expedia, on which the VN fare was a couple hundred USD cheaper than TG’s full fare.

I cannot be the only one who has been put off from purchasing a ticket due to excessive hoops to jump through. In retrospect I could have called TG and ticketed by telephone, but this time it’s just as well. I hope this problem will be rectified so that I can ticket my next trip on TG more conveniently.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: SAS -TG
Try to stay offshore without phone signal, no OTP no nothing :-(
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
It was a one way ticket for two pax. Until last month, my US credit card always eventually worked on TG’s website after a few attempts, and a confirmation email from the issuing bank authenticating the charge. That was a hassle, but tolerable.

Now, on this recent attempt, I was asked to call into my credit card company. I find that unduly tedious and irritating to purchase an airplane ticket, especially when I have already filled in my billing address and other authenticating information correctly.

So, I was actually trying, a considerable number of times to give TG ฿24,000~ worth of revenue for two short one way tickets. Their system irritated me to the extent that I went to expedia, on which the VN fare was a couple hundred USD cheaper than TG’s full fare.

I cannot be the only one who has been put off from purchasing a ticket due to excessive hoops to jump through. In retrospect I could have called TG and ticketed by telephone, but this time it’s just as well. I hope this problem will be rectified so that I can ticket my next trip on TG more conveniently.
Maybe TG need your credit card to do the Verified by Visa or mastercard SecureCode enrollment or something like this for other cards before using online transactions like all credit cards issuing Thailand.

For Thai credit cards, after the card was verified with the bank when we use the card for online shopping, the issued bank will send OTP via SMS to the phone for verification process.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joy16
Maybe TG need your credit card to do the Verified by Visa or mastercard SecureCode enrollment or something like this for other cards before using online transactions like all credit cards issuing Thailand.

For Thai credit cards, after the card was verified with the bank when we use the card for online shopping, the issued bank will send OTP via SMS to the phone for verification process.
A text message does not work if the credit card account does not have a mobile telephone number associated with it, or if the mobile telephone number cannot receive SMS outside of home country.

For many years this system worked simply by asking for further information, such as billing address and social security number (for US credit cards). In my opinion that was more than sufficient to reasonably authenticate a ticket purchase.

Until recently, I would get an email from my bank after one or two attempts to purchase were blocked, and once I clicked a link on that email to verify the purchase, I was told to proceed. At that point the ticket would be processed.

Those previous scenarios were irritating enough, but tolerable. But, the added step of speaking to a credit card call center to get a simple purchase approved, despite having already entered abundant verification information correctly, is unacceptably tedious as far as I am concerned.

A more intelligently designed system could let the purchase go through, and then somehow flag suspicious purchases for further scrutiny. If those tickets were subsequently found to be fraudulent, working with the credit card companies TG could rectify the situation and cancel the fraudulent tickets, all without inconveniencing the vast majority of people who are making legitimate purchases.

For one thing, if the name on the ticket is the same as on the credit card, and the passenger is advised to travel with the credit card for possible verification, that is already a very low risk profile for fraud. Especially if other identifying data has been correctly entered.

In my case I just got pissed off and TG lost the ฿24,000~ I was TRYING, multiple times, to spend to fly them as my preferred carrier.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

A text message does not work if the credit card account does not have a mobile telephone number associated with it, or if the mobile telephone number cannot receive SMS outside of home country.

For many years this system worked simply by asking for further information, such as billing address and social security number (for US credit cards). In my opinion that was more than sufficient to reasonably authenticate a ticket purchase.

Until recently, I would get an email from my bank after one or two attempts to purchase were blocked, and once I clicked a link on that email to verify the purchase, I was told to proceed. At that point the ticket would be processed.

Those previous scenarios were irritating enough, but tolerable. But, the added step of speaking to a credit card call center to get a simple purchase approved, despite having already entered abundant verification information correctly, is unacceptably tedious as far as I am concerned.

A more intelligently designed system could let the purchase go through, and then somehow flag suspicious purchases for further scrutiny. If those tickets were subsequently found to be fraudulent, working with the credit card companies TG could rectify the situation and cancel the fraudulent tickets, all without inconveniencing the vast majority of people who are making legitimate purchases.

For one thing, if the name on the ticket is the same as on the credit card, and the passenger is advised to travel with the credit card for possible verification, that is already a very low risk profile for fraud. Especially if other identifying data has been correctly entered.

In my case I just got pissed off and TG lost the ฿24,000~ I was TRYING, multiple times, to spend to fly them as my preferred carrier.
You probably noticed that the world is changing rapidly and the number of credit card frauds rising.. Recent hackings of airlines and other merchants involve the theft of a lot of information from the company databases, including those you refer as sufficient (address, passport or SS numbers,..).
I doubt that there are many "modern" airlines that would process an international internet purchase with VISA or Mastercard without some OTP verification. And those who did not are catching up rapidly.

If you do not wish to link your cc to a mobile phone number, that is a personal choice but it has consequences. And reading a SMS abroad usually cost nothing as you don't even have to open it to read the OTP.
Whatever your personal opinion, this is the cost for better personal security.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: Tour Operator
Could it be you are experiencing a different implementation of this check due to the card’s country of origin, wherever that might be?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
A lot of airlines use Verified by Visa or Mastercard Secure Code if you are not booking throughyyour frequent flyer account with them.

For Thai Airways it works mostly via a quick detour via your credit card company's verification portal. For my card it takes about a minute to do when booking a Thai Airways ticket. It is not Thai you should complain to here, it is the infrastructure that your credit card company applies that is the issue here. Thai requires a secondary verification, your credit card company decides how that works.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
A lot of airlines use Verified by Visa or Mastercard Secure Code if you are not booking throughyyour frequent flyer account with them.

For Thai Airways it works mostly via a quick detour via your credit card company's verification portal. For my card it takes about a minute to do when booking a Thai Airways ticket. It is not Thai you should complain to here, it is the infrastructure that your credit card company applies that is the issue here. Thai requires a secondary verification, your credit card company decides how that works.
I was booking in my own name and with my TG ROP account number. Thai decided to ask for a secondary verification, and instead of jumping through their hoops, I simply booked on a different airline. Whoever is to blame for this system, it clearly is not well designed or implemented.

Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

I was booking in my own name and with my TG ROP account number. Thai decided to ask for a secondary verification, and instead of jumping through their hoops, I simply booked on a different airline. Whoever is to blame for this system, it clearly is not well designed or implemented.

I agree it is poorly implemented, but US credit cards providers seems reluctant to invest in modern verification systems. Just see how late they got onboard with chip cards and pin codes. That latter still a rarity.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I agree it is poorly implemented, but US credit cards providers seems reluctant to invest in modern verification systems. Just see how late they got onboard with chip cards and pin codes. That latter still a rarity.
Astonishing - or maybe not, as the US is still mired using imperial units......
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
@Mike, it is your CC and not TG..
Likely your CC doesn't like the Thailand POS (Point of Purchase), and the Verified by Visa/Mastercard/Amex portal for your CC wasnt coming up smoothly.
Yes, you took your business elsewhere, but better resolve this with your CC provider, rather than rant at TG website.
As a test, try buying something else cheap from Thailand using the same CC and see if it will go through.
Bangkok Airways/ThaiAirasia/Nok etc....a few dollars to test your card?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
@Mike, it is your CC and not TG..
Likely your CC doesn't like the Thailand POS (Point of Purchase), and the Verified by Visa/Mastercard/Amex portal for your CC wasnt coming up smoothly.
Yes, you took your business elsewhere, but better resolve this with your CC provider, rather than rant at TG website.
As a test, try buying something else cheap from Thailand using the same CC and see if it will go through.
Bangkok Airways/ThaiAirasia/Nok etc....a few dollars to test your card?
All of my CCs are fine in Thailand for purchases. In future hopefully the system at least goes back to what it was, i.e. that charges would eventually go through on TG after a few repeated attempts.

Otherwise, I’ll have to ticket by telephone on TG.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:12 am

I think it dpends on your own bank how they implement the verification process. Not TG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.