Walking from Terminal 1 to 2 at BKK - how long?

Old Dec 24, 18, 12:42 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Earth
Programs: whatever it takes
Posts: 284
Walking from Terminal 1 to 2 at BKK - how long?

Just booked a TPE-BKK-ARN flight. TPE-BKK is with EVA and BKK-ARN is with Thai Airways. Both in business - so will get off plane early.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to walk, not rushed, from Terminal 1 to 2 as it looks like EVA and Thai are in separate terminals.

The MCT is 1 hr 15 minutes, and I have 1 hr 40 minutes between flights. Recently I did a 1 hr 25 minute transit in Hong Kong and it was a fast walk as I had to go the whole length of the airport pretty much. The gates were the maximum distance apart!

Ideally I could stop in a lounge for a brief visit (Get a 30 min massage? Does this need to be scheduled?) ....I thought about a longer connection, but that would be 7 hours+ and I wanted to fly EVA...so I went with the shorter one.
EqualOpp is offline  
Old Dec 24, 18, 4:28 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,525
Originally Posted by EqualOpp View Post
Just booked a TPE-BKK-ARN flight. TPE-BKK is with EVA and BKK-ARN is with Thai Airways. Both in business - so will get off plane early.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to walk, not rushed, from Terminal 1 to 2 as it looks like EVA and Thai are in separate terminals.

The MCT is 1 hr 15 minutes, and I have 1 hr 40 minutes between flights. Recently I did a 1 hr 25 minute transit in Hong Kong and it was a fast walk as I had to go the whole length of the airport pretty much. The gates were the maximum distance apart!

Ideally I could stop in a lounge for a brief visit (Get a 30 min massage? Does this need to be scheduled?) ....I thought about a longer connection, but that would be 7 hours+ and I wanted to fly EVA...so I went with the shorter one.
Bangkok only has a single terminal, which is divided into concourses A-G. (A is domestic only.)

The walk between the concourses can be very long - more than 800 metres. This also applies on arrival where the walk to transit security can be up to 800 metres.

You should allow about 10 minutes to get from your plane to transit security (moving travellators help speed things up). transit security can be anywhere from 2 minutes to 30 minutes or more depending on passenger flow. If you arrive late you can try and get to the front of the queue. There is no express transit security for business class.(I spent about 40 minutes waiting a couple months ago at 7pm - lots of connecting pasengers.)

You need to be at the gate around 30 minutes before departure, and allow a good 10-15 minutes to walk to the gate, depending where your lounge/departure gate is.

So you might have half an hour or more spare - certainly worth airming for the 30 min spa treatment.
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Dec 24, 18, 5:44 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Earth
Programs: whatever it takes
Posts: 284
Thanks for the heads up. Checking Flight Stats shows 90% on-time performance rate as of recently and I won't be traveling during typhoon season,and Flight Radar 24 shows earlier arrivals - though not sure what that translates into disembarking. So.. with that said....hopefully transit security won't be crowded then at close to midnight then. And hopefully my gate isn't the furthest one possible.

Never been to the new BKK airport, last in BKK in 2005. Part of me says I should have chosen an earlier flight to stay longer, explore the lounges and chill while reading a book. Alas, my desire to fly EVA Business for the first time wins out.
EqualOpp is offline  
Old Dec 24, 18, 5:48 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
LHR/MEL/Europe FF's answer is as usual spot on. to add: there are two transit securities (where you move from arrival into departure area): East at conjunction of D/C/B/A concourses and West at conjunction of D/E/F/G concourses; so at both ends of the D concourse, which is around 800 meters long
EVA arrives/departs usually at E, F or G close to ist lounge, which is in F concourse; TG can depart from anywhere
So after Arrival, you should look out for your departure gate and head to the Closer transit security (on arrival level, there are travellators all along)
BinSabai is offline  
Old Dec 24, 18, 7:14 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 730
Where do you need to go thru Thai immigration and customs?
LAXlocal is offline  
Old Dec 24, 18, 9:45 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Earth
Programs: whatever it takes
Posts: 284
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
LHR/MEL/Europe FF's answer is as usual spot on. to add: there are two transit securities (where you move from arrival into departure area): East at conjunction of D/C/B/A concourses and West at conjunction of D/E/F/G concourses; so at both ends of the D concourse, which is around 800 meters long
EVA arrives/departs usually at E, F or G close to ist lounge, which is in F concourse; TG can depart from anywhere
So after Arrival, you should look out for your departure gate and head to the Closer transit security (on arrival level, there are travellators all along)
with any luck my TG flight will be nearby to the lounge....
EqualOpp is offline  
Old Dec 24, 18, 9:53 pm
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
IMO the SQ lounge is best. But the massage in Royal Orchid Spa is a pretty cool experience if you haven't done it before.
Originally Posted by LAXlocal View Post
Where do you need to go thru Thai immigration and customs?
Only if entering Thailand.
Kacee is offline  
Old Dec 24, 18, 9:57 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BKK
Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Posts: 635
Originally Posted by EqualOpp View Post
with any luck my TG flight will be nearby to the lounge....
There is a fair chance that your onward departure on TG would be from a gate close to one of the Royal Silk lounges - aside from the main one in the D concourse (where the Spa is also located), there are smaller ones in both C and E concourses to cater for the Eastern and Western sides of the airport.
SKT-DK is online now  
Old Dec 25, 18, 2:07 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
IMO EVA (concourse F) lounge is the best, then SQ (D), then the smaller lounges of TG (2 each in C and E) and the worst is the main TG lounge in D
BinSabai is offline  
Old Dec 25, 18, 3:23 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,525
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
IMO EVA (concourse F) lounge is the best, then SQ (D), then the smaller lounges of TG (2 each in C and E) and the worst is the main TG lounge in D
Don't get me wrong - I was extraordinarily thankful for EVA's lounge at BKK being open until 3.30am a couple months ago during a midnight to 7am tranist - but I didn't think the facilities were anything compared to SQs. SQ had better food, better bar. Maybe there's reduced catering in the EVA lounge from midnight? (And there was no wehere to sit, but I guess that's because it was the only star lounge open?)
Tokyoite likes this.
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Dec 25, 18, 4:37 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
EVA has shower facilities while SQ has not
choice of beverages are on the same level, better then TG
food is up to one's taste but I found EVA better
Opening time: EVA beats SQ, which closes pretty early, too early for many long haul flights late night
re facilities: SQ is of course newer, but not better than EVA
Tokyoite likes this.
BinSabai is offline  
Old Dec 25, 18, 4:40 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,525
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
choice of beverages are on the same level, better then TG
food is up to one's taste but I found EVA better
Must be the time I was there. I arrived around midnight - all they had was pizza slices and instant noodles. And there were a couple of bottles of spirits + cold drinks.

SQ on the other had earlier in the evening had full buffet including multiple hot dishes and a full bar.
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Dec 25, 18, 7:31 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Must be the time I was there. I arrived around midnight - all they had was pizza slices and instant noodles. And there were a couple of bottles of spirits + cold drinks.

SQ on the other had earlier in the evening had full buffet including multiple hot dishes and a full bar.
I guess you really had bad luck! usually there are many choices
BinSabai is offline  
Old Dec 25, 18, 9:12 am
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
SQ on the other had earlier in the evening had full buffet including multiple hot dishes and a full bar.
The quality and selection of the SQ buffet is really good. One of the better business class lounge offerings I've seen anywhere.
Kacee is offline  
Old Dec 29, 18, 4:44 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Posts: 2,728
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
EVA has shower facilities while SQ has not
The EVA lounge also has a couple of massage chairs which I really enjoy.

When I *A lounge hop at BKK I basically visit SQ first (for food and drink) and then EVA for the amenities and late closing hours.

SL
BinSabai likes this.

Last edited by SunLover; Dec 31, 18 at 4:30 am Reason: Spellin’
SunLover is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread