Would you rather - TG First vs SQ Suites

Old Dec 22, 18, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA 1K
Would you rather - TG First vs SQ Suites

I'm currently booked on the following:
GUM to NRT in UA Business (777-200 lie flat)
HND to BKK in TG First (747 redeye)
12 hr layover (daytime in the Royal Orchid Lounge)
BKK to SYD in TG First (747 redeye)
SYD to ZQN in NZ Economy

But this itinerary just showed up:
GUM to HKG in UA Economy
10 hr overnight layover
HKG to SIN in SQ Business (777-200 angled flat)
8 hr layover (in the Private Room)
SIN to ALK in SQ Suites
AKL to ZQN in NZ Economy

I've never flown international first class before and I'm really excited either way. I don't mind being in the air at all as long as I'm pampered, so I like the idea of two long haul TG First flights (so long as they don't get swapped for an A350). I don't mind getting from NRT to HND, I have the time and I've done it before.

I am a little concerned with having an overnight layover in HKG but that would also mean I could meet my traveling companion in AKL and with any luck, the NZ agents could put us on the same flight to ZQN.

Both itineraries are rare. I't rare to find two long haul TG First flights on a single award ticket originating from GUM and it's rare to find a SQ Suites award ticket on any route/day, much less the one I want to travel on. If I really want to fly TG first again, I could easily find a award space, but the Singapore flight is a real unicorn that I likely won't have the opportunity to fly again.

What are your thoughts?
Old Dec 22, 18, 10:11 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
I'd go for SQ via AKL. Caveat - I haven't flown SQ F for quite a while, so limited on specific comment.

I think you are correct that SQ F space is harder to find, and on that basis alone it might be worth selecting this option. For me, redeye J is pretty much the same as redeye F - hopefully I am asleep... so in your situation, I'd look at the amount of time I'd be 'awake' and enjoying the F experience. I would also expect SQ to have a more consistent F soft service than on TG - I have had both great and so-so experiences/crews on TG.

The duration SYD-BKK on TG is slightly shorter (9 hours?) than SIN-AKL approx 10 hours. Arrive SYD 0710 vs AKL at 1320 (on SQ285); both overnight flights TG 1750-0710 and SQ 2225-1320. I suspect more awake time with the F experience on the SIN-AKL flight.

The NZ flights SYD-ZQN or AKL-ZQN will both be so-so. You will have access to frequent flyer seating with more leg room; and again AKL-ZQN would be my pick as there are more FF seats and it is a shorter flight but with views of the country and you fly from North to South. SYD-ZQN is 95% overwater and boring! I suppose the benefit is the international arrivals at ZQN, with much fewer numbers of arriving pax compared to AKL. There is also a 15 minute walk between International and Domestic terminals - I enjoy the stroll after a long haul....

Enjoy!
therossinator likes this.
Old Dec 22, 18, 10:13 pm

My vote is for SQ Suites the hard product is spectacular. TG F is very nice as well, especially the transfer and spa in BkK but there’s something special about SQ suites.
Old Dec 23, 18, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I made the switch. I will also try my luck to see if I can get a United agent to swap out the beginning portion from GUM-HKG-SIN to the original GUM-NRT/HND-BKK-SIN. That would be the best of both worlds.
Old Dec 23, 18, 2:10 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
to get into SQ Suites on an award ticket with no status in Kris Flyer is like winning the first Prize in lottery!
Flyingbiker likes this.
Old Dec 23, 18, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
to get into SQ Suites on an award ticket with no status in Kris Flyer is like winning the first Prize in lottery!
My SIN to AKL flight is on Jan 19, but there was also Suite award space for the 18th as well. Considering I'm starting and ending in obscure locations, it's a pretty good haul for only 60,000 United miles. If I would have just purchased the SIN to AKL and nothing else, it would have cost 5,000 miles more.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Dec 23, 18, 2:31 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Quite the catch! I assume this is a quirk of UA MP to allow this routing for a lower level that SIN-AKL?
Old Dec 23, 18, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Quite the catch! I assume this is a quirk of UA MP to allow this routing for a lower level that SIN-AKL?
Indeed, Oceania prices out lower than SE Asia or Japan in terms of getting to Australia and New Zealand. This, despite "Oceania" essentially being United's historic Island Hopper locations.
In Guam, for instance (a United hub), all award flights to Australia and New Zealand route through locations that would cost more to get to that same destination.
Old Dec 23, 18, 2:46 am
Original Poster

I don't mean to turn the thread too far away from TG, but this SQ flight is INSANE!!!
Literally 68 Book the Cook meal options for dinner alone. Over a dozen choices for breakfast the next day.
Old Dec 23, 18, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
In either case, I wouldn’t spend eight or 12 hours in a lounge, I’d head into town.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 18, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
In either case, I wouldn’t spend eight or 12 hours in a lounge, I’d head into town.
I would not as I have spent multiple times in both cities
Old Dec 23, 18, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I thought that AKL was operated by a 77W with F class seats not the A380 with Suites.
Old Dec 23, 18, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
I thought that AKL was operated by a 77W with F class seats not the A380 with Suites.
two daily flights, one with 77w and one with A380
Old Dec 23, 18, 10:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
I would not as I have spent multiple times in both cities
Having been in a city and wanting to visit it are not mutually exclusive
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 18, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
The Suites product is much better than TG F in the air, though the TG F ground services at BKK are pretty special. I think I'd go for Suites.

This is a UA award? SQ Suites????

Search this Thread