Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Caution: GUP cannot be applied to all K/T class fares

Old Dec 13, 18, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold

I am doing some detailed research for travel next year where I plan to use my Gold Upgrade (GUP), and was looking at various K class (FlexiSaver) fares to destinations. Of course, J class also needs to be available as well.

Looking (by chance really) at the detailed fare conditions, I discovered that many of the K class fares that I would have assumed were upgradable via GUP, in fact cannot be upgraded.
I had never noticed this detail before now, so thought it worth highlighting the importance to check the detailed conditions. It'd be a disaster to buy a K class fare and then be unable to apply GUP to it !

There is a small note in the ROP information for Gold members:
Up to 2 complimentary roundtrip upgrades on THAI within the 2 year validity of standard Gold status. Valid for all paid published fares excluding discounted Economy Class fares in booking classes G / V / W / L. Promotional fares in other Economy booking may also not be eligible for upgrading.
This also means I will have to make the booking through the local THAI office to ensure the appropriate upgradeable fare class is used (and that J is also available)

The example below is for a FlexiSaver (K) class fare AKL-ZRH. Sadly all K fare end with the excluded fare basis list below and so are not upgradeable.:

Upgrade:
Mileage Upgrade: ✔ Permitted except for promotional fares for fare basis ending with -LK3MNZE, -M3MNZE, -YYNZE, -YONZE
Gold / Platinum Upgrade: ✔ Permitted except for promotional fares for fare basis ending with -LK3MNZE, -M3MNZE, -YYNZE, -YONZE
please contact THAI office for details

If I looked for BKK-ZRH, then there is two kinds of K fares available, one upgradeable, one not:

SaverPlus is the non-upgradeable K class fare:
- Upgrade: ✖
FlexiSaver K class can be upgraded, unless there are specified exclusions (none in my BKK-ZRH example):
- Upgrade:
Mileage Upgrade: ✔ Permitted
Gold / Platinum Upgrade:✔ Permitted

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Dec 13, 18 at 5:03 pm Reason: added to text
Old Dec 14, 18, 12:22 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
thanks for this Thai-Kiwi
did you also check upgradability of biz class fares to F?
Old Dec 14, 18, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
thanks for this Thai-Kiwi
did you also check upgradability of biz class fares to F?
Just for you (and everybody else!) I had a look, and indeed there are some J fares that are not necessarily able to be GUP/PUP to first class.

I found an 'Early Silk Saver' J fare CDG-BKK with the following note on GUP/PUP "permitted except for promotional fares. Contact THAI office". The same note was also on the Royal Silk Plus fare...

The Early Silk Saver fare was EUR 2600, and the Royal SIlk Plus fare was EUR3400. Not sure how low a promotional J fare would need to be below the EarlySaver.
Attached Images  
BinSabai likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Dec 14, 18 at 2:29 am
Old Dec 18, 18, 1:41 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Interesting - I didn't even know that there is any K or T-class fare at all that allows GUP-upgrade.
I was told here in Germany that it requires at least a Q-class fare...
Old Dec 18, 18, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Creole Spirit View Post
Interesting - I didn't even know that there is any K or T-class fare at all that allows GUP-upgrade.
I was told here in Germany that it requires at least a Q-class fare...
The change to allow T/K fares for GUP was after they were introduced as FlexiSaver with 75% miles earning - maybe 3 years ago? I also feel that Q fares increased compared to previously.

Search this Thread