Stay or go?

Old Nov 25, 18, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS -TG
Stay or go?

Hi Gents

Got SAS star Alliance gold card, also got ROP silver (will have gold in a few months) now I use most TG flight now, Iím in Thailand most of the time, should I keep my SAS gold card or should I ditch it and go for ROP gold card as I will use TG most of the time, SAS Gold card or ROP gold? Same same or different?
Thanks guys
Old Nov 25, 18, 1:11 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

It depends on so many factors like class of travel, frequency of travel etc, so not possible to provide much advice - just personal opinion/preferences. I don't know about the SAS program, and whether your flying patterns are more suited to SAS, THAI, or indeed another *A carrier.

When I lived in Thailand, I found ROP suited me well, but I know other people that stayed with other programs. ROP still suits me for now. since I am mainly as a leisure traveller now based at home in NZ, it is now more difficult to meet the re-qualification requirements - and the costs for 100% mileage Q economy fare has increased a lot.

I like the 2 year period of ROP Gold, the Gold Upgrade, and the 50% award - these features work well for me.
Old Nov 25, 18, 2:17 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

It depends on so many factors like class of travel, frequency of travel etc, so not possible to provide much advice - just personal opinion/preferences. I don't know about the SAS program, and whether your flying patterns are more suited to SAS, THAI, or indeed another *A carrier.

When I lived in Thailand, I found ROP suited me well, but I know other people that stayed with other programs. ROP still suits me for now. since I am mainly as a leisure traveller now based at home in NZ, it is now more difficult to meet the re-qualification requirements - and the costs for 100% mileage Q economy fare has increased a lot.

I like the 2 year period of ROP Gold, the Gold Upgrade, and the 50% award - these features work well for me.
Yes, as above. 2 year validity, with up to 2 round trip upgrades and 2 half price points trips is up there among the best. If you have a partner in the ROP scheme you are also able to gift the half price points trips.
Old Nov 25, 18, 7:33 pm

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by HKT CPH View Post
Hi Gents

Got SAS star Alliance gold card, also got ROP silver (will have gold in a few months) now I use most TG flight now, Iím in Thailand most of the time, should I keep my SAS gold card or should I ditch it and go for ROP gold card as I will use TG most of the time, SAS Gold card or ROP gold? Same same or different?
Thanks guys
Welcome to FT! Good to have you here.

I am in the same situation as you after I relocated to BKK - however, I still keep my SK Gold (ok, granted a factor is that I got lifetime gold now, but did not in the beginning). Depending on your flying pattern, I suspect that you may find that SK is easier to maintain than ROP Gold, due to the relatively low requirements. If your flying is mainly in premium classes, all of them earn 200% and a minimum of 1,200 points/segment. That said, ultimately, it would come down to your flying patterns - if you are comfortably achieving ROP Gold, then that would be the better choice, but if struggling then SK might be better.
Old Nov 25, 18, 7:35 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
it depends, what your personal long term plans are. If you will stay mainly in Thailand for many years to come and also fly regional in Asia, go for TG. If you will return to Scandinavia within the next 3-5 years i would stay with SAS
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Nov 25, 18, 7:36 pm

By the way, you can credit Y flights to TG and still enter lounge with your SAS Gold
Old Nov 27, 18, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS -TG
Smile Thanks for great inputs

Hi Guys

Great inputs from all of you (nice forum)
I will go for my TG points, i travel in Y, not in business, i have to pay myself, all the trips ;-) got silver with TG but around May will have gold if i stay with TG, 1 questions, i have some trips coming from LHR-BKK, i can see EVA airways have some good prices on premium economy, EVA points will count as upgrade points on my TG silver card?

Thanks a lot for all yours answers :-)

Will be staying in Thailand in the future

Last edited by HKT CPH; Nov 27, 18 at 7:10 am Reason: Forgot
Old Nov 27, 18, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by HKT CPH View Post
Hi Guys

Great inputs from all of you (nice forum)
I will go for my TG points, i travel in Y, not in business, i have to pay myself, all the trips ;-) got silver with TG but around May will have gold if i stay with TG, 1 questions, i have some trips coming from LHR-BKK, i can see EVA airways have some good prices on premium economy, EVA points will count as upgrade points on my TG silver card?

Thanks a lot for all yours answers :-)

Will be staying in Thailand in the future
HKT CPH - Welcome to FlyerTalk. Miles on premium economy on BR (EVA Air) should credit 100% to TG ROP. Another advantage of the TG program is that domestic TG flights, even in discount economy, will credit 500 mile minimum. So all flights such as CNX-BKK, on TG or Thai Smile, will be 500 miles.
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
Another advantage of the TG program is that domestic TG flights, even in discount economy, will credit 500 mile minimum. So all flights such as CNX-BKK, on TG or Thai Smile, will be 500 miles.
it actually sucks! domestic in J are also only 500 miles
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:31 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
Whereas on SK those are 1,200 points (domestic J).
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
Whereas on SK those are 1,200 points (domestic J).
yeah, M&M credits also much more...
Old Nov 28, 18, 1:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
Most interesting. However BKK-CNX in discount economy gives me 125 miles to UA MileagePlus, and zero miles if Thai Smile.
Old Nov 28, 18, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
and zero miles if Thai Smile.
That is actually a good point - if flying routes operated by WE, then the OP is definitely better off sticking with ROP as WE flights do not credit to other Star Alliance programmes.
restlessinRNO and BinSabai like this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 2:40 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
That WE credits 500 miles to TG’s ROP is not too bad a deal. I flew 6 WE sectors netting 3,000 miles for a cost of approx $200 US. Costs for AirAsia would be similar or a touch cheaper but no miles.

If for some reason I needed to buy (non-qualifying) miles, then 3000 miles costs $120 US. So for a mainly Y flyer/earner like me, the 500 miles minimum is great
Old Nov 28, 18, 9:08 am

Programs: TG Plat
EVA miles will not count as credit towards ROP Gold

Search this Thread