Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Will there be a ROP Gold/Plat 50% 'Birthday award' for 2019?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

I have emailed THAI to ask when/if a 50% mileage award 'benefit will be notified to ROP Gold/Plat members for use in calendar year 2019.

If anybody has any information on when this would be decided/notified, I'd be keen to know as the availability (or not) of this forms a decision point in my 2019 travel plans.

Noting the need for cost cutting in THAI, and that this has been an unpublished benefit over the years, I think it is possible this benefit might be reviewed (hopefully not.....).

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 25, 2018 at 1:04 pm
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I have emailed THAI to ask when/if a 50% mileage award 'benefit will be notified to ROP Gold/Plat members for use in calendar year 2019.

If anybody has any information on when this would be decided/notified, I'd be keen to know as the availability (or not) of this forms a decision point in my 2019 travel plans.

Noting the need for cost cutting in THAI, and that this has been an unpublished benefit over the years, I think it is possible this benefit might be reviewed (hopefully not.....).
I spoke to ROP last week and they said that they expected it to happen but no guarantees. I use it every year and plan my travel accordingly. They normally announce it in December.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
i have already received a 50% award for my wife for a flight in F to Europe in march/April 2019
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting. When does your ROP status roll-over?

For me, I need to wait for my status to renew on 31 Dec. The travel I want is in Sep 2019 and so I can't do anything until renewal... but I thought the 'year' of the 50% award was Jan-Dec? or is it tied to the period of your status? (For me these are the same).
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:50 pm

my status rolls over 31. July; but the birthday 50% awards are issued yearly (jan - dec)
I am sure it will be granted again. Those have been given for many years and are in the minds of TG's status passengers as guaranteed benefits...
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, thanks for that.

Can you confirm my understanding thenm - your (wife's) 50% award is taken in the current period of your Gold/Plat status 01 Aug 2018 to 31 Jul 2019, right? Otherwise how could you make a reservation in this calendar year for the next calendar year...?

Th problem for me has always being in a poor position to use the 50% award in Jan or Feb since award availability is very weak if looking only 1-2 months in advance...

Am I missing something?

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 26, 2018 at 1:20 am
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:57 am

my understanding is that 50% awards are per calendar year and must be flown within the year, but I could be wrong on that. So not sure whether this is the 50% award from 2018 or 2019
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The email reply from Gold Service Desk:

Dear Member,

Regarding to the 50% less miles for year2019, kindly wait for official annoucement during end of Dec2018.

Thank you and best regards,

XXXXXXX

Gold member service dept.

Royal Orchid Plus
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Originally Posted by BinSabai
i have already received a 50% award for my wife for a flight in F to Europe in march/April 2019
So that was with the 2019 half price offer or 2018? I am looking at award flights in July and it would be great to get them sorted out now.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Flyingbiker
So that was with the 2019 half price offer or 2018? I am looking at award flights in July and it would be great to get them sorted out now.
as I already said I thought that the 50% birthday award has to be taken within the same year and expires at the end of the year. So it would be the 2019 award; otherwise it could be one of the 2018 award (Platinum get 2)
but nobody could answer me this!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

@BinSabai - Maybe you ROP Platinum holders are appropriately just 'special' !
@Flyingbiker - I too would like to get the 2019 50% award flights sussed, but I have been told I need to wait until after the 'benefit' is confined in late Dec. So a nervous 5 weeks as I watch availability each week change (usually negatively). Main concern is BKK-AKL has sparse availability for the core dates of my return travel....fingers crossed
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: TG Plat
They have to be redeemed during the calendar year but can be used for a flight the following calendar year. This creates an interesting situation if you have saved a lot of miles.
If you are currently Gold and on the way to Platinum you should use your single 50% award, if you don't you lose it on becoming Platinum. You could, say, book a 50% Gold award in July for November, become Platinum in October and have two more to use before 31 December. Then on 01 January you get two more. I did not quite manage that but I have booked four in the last 12 months. Now though I am right out of miles so next year I will only be able to use one of the two 50% awards so it is not quite the loop hole it seems.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by andyptrav
They have to be redeemed during the calendar year but can be used for a flight the following calendar year. This creates an interesting situation if you have saved a lot of miles.
If you are currently Gold and on the way to Platinum you should use your single 50% award, if you don't you lose it on becoming Platinum. You could, say, book a 50% Gold award in July for November, become Platinum in October and have two more to use before 31 December. Then on 01 January you get two more. I did not quite manage that but I have booked four in the last 12 months. Now though I am right out of miles so next year I will only be able to use one of the two 50% awards so it is not quite the loop hole it seems.
thanks for clarifying!
in this case mine is a 2018 award that I use for 2019

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.