Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Finally some enforcement of the Priority Lane?

Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC

I know this is not strictly TG, but as is related to BKK and services that might have been procured from third parties when flying TG, I take the chance of posting here

I realise there has been talk of some welcome restrictions on who can get the priority lane immigration vouchers at Suvarnabhumi as of late - but coming through yesterday morning on BA10 I was asked for my boarding pass by the immigration officer to verify that I had indeed flown J or F. Also they have new (printed paper) signs up at the booths saying that vouchers are ‘Only valid with a First or Business Class boarding pass’.

This is a very welcome change if you ask me, so I hope it is there to stay! Especially as Priority Lane was empty aside from me (first off the plane) but the normal immigration was jam packed! They even closed the entrance to it and told people to move to the other end towards the lower D-gates..
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
In that case, I want Star Alliance Gold Track immediately implemented at BKK as well ;-)
andyptrav and royng like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
In that case, I want Star Alliance Gold Track immediately implemented at BKK as well ;-)
No more use of your stash of vouchers, I presume? 555 (I have one too, but not as big as the now useless brown ones)

But I fear that a Star Gold Track would be jam packed too as every man and his dog these days can get such a card
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
so one has to dig out or keep old F and J Boarding passes when flying cattle
but for me TG PLATINUM opens the door...
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
so one has to dig out or keep old F and J Boarding passes when flying cattle
but for me TG PLATINUM opens the door...
To be honest they seemed to scrutinise every letter of that BP, so not sure it will work with an old one - and sorry to say, I hope it will not work!

True about TG Platinum - for me it is just flying J that opens the door, so this change is a very welcome one seeing it will make my journey shorter (hopefully!)
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
To be honest they seemed to scrutinise every letter of that BP
That doesn't mean they can actually read it.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:57 am

I was asked to show my boarding pass in the normal immigration queue the other day, was on TG917. Don't think I've ever been asked for it before lucky i kept it in my phone case because i normally don't worry about after boarding . Not sure what would have happened if I couldn't show it to the immigration officer it's not a requirement for entry as far as I know
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose showing your boarding pass would corroborate when you flew in from, and so assist the immigration official in deciding to allow you entry or not...
joy16 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Also they have new (printed paper) signs up at the booths saying that vouchers are ‘Only valid with a First or Business Class boarding pass’.

I'm all for the change! But I wonder what happens to top-tier elites (in economy) to whom airlines sometimes give these passes?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I'm all for the change! But I wonder what happens to top-tier elites (in economy) to whom airlines sometimes give these passes?
do top tier elites normally really travel in Y?
For TG, miles flown in cattle do not count for Platinum Status
to get HON at LH/LX/OS you had to fly multiple times more in Y than in J or F
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Perhaps more common on oneworld? For example BA gold and QF platinum - lots of those fly econopmy but do status runs.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Definitely so am I I think the key word in your statement is "sometimes" - at least for oneworld airlines, I believe that if these are given to top tier pax in Y, that is because the crew is being generous. I could be wrong though, but do not believe it is a published benefit anywhere.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:48 am
Original Poster

TG Platinum, and HON with LH Group are a few of the exceptions who have a requirement for premium class sectors. E.g. for most oneworld and Star Alliance programmes, it just takes (a lot) more flying to reach the top through Y, but not impossible. I think quite a lot of people make it that way.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
My experience (flying SQ on 13/11 in J) was the new Fast Track card, the same shape as a playing card but smaller, with an SQ stamp on it. The Immigration Officer asked for it but did not ask to see my boarding pass (haven't been asked to show that for some years now). AFAIK 70+ year olds are supposed to get Fast Track as a matter of course but I've never seen anyone trying to claim that privilege simply by showing their passport (I fall into that category now). The Premium entrance is so poorly obscured it was clear that a large number of my fellow J passengers had no idea where to go
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TG Platinum, and HON with LH Group are a few of the exceptions who have a requirement for premium class sectors. E.g. for most oneworld and Star Alliance programmes, it just takes (a lot) more flying to reach the top through Y, but not impossible. I think quite a lot of people make it that way.
I am one of those who have made and maintained TG Gold by flying predominantly in Y. Mainly just Y in leisure, and some work travel I have paid the fare difference between Y and J (company only pays for Y in most cases.

But it is not easy AKL-BKK-AKL gets 9000 miles in K and 12000 in Q. And Q is becoming quite expensive.....

I would need 4 such leisure trips in a year unless supplemented by work trips.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.