Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Will my carry-on fit on TG 747 overhead bin?

Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I will be flying on Thai 747 first class seat 1K and then 1A on the way back. Looking at the pictures of its first class cabin, their overhead bins seem pretty small. My carry-on is Streetwalker v2.0 Rolling Backpack, which I never had problem fitting it in a bin on domestic and international flight around the world, however this will be the first time flying with it on 747. Will my bag fit in the bin? I can never allow it to be checked in because it contain camera gear and laptop worth over $20000.

BTW, I have never flown TG first class on 747. Are 1K and 1A good seats?

Another quick question. Does TG ever check the weight of carry-on? My bag is definitely over 7kg. This time, I'll be flying from Thailand to Japan. So far I have never seen TG checking weight on all previous flight I had.

Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Weight if not a problem with carry-on if travelling in F with THAI. The overhead space is small, but crew will stow your bag in another area if it won't fit.

1A/K are fine seats, but you are isolated from all that is around you. Some prefer this, some not.
Google the seat maps, the are actually 2 configurations; one wth 10 F seats in an open plan area, and another with 9 F seats each in semi-enclosed areas.

Don't be startled when the nose-gear retracts and make a sudden loud noise soon after take-off.....it is a "rite of passage" ...
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

According to seat chart during booking, it showed 9 first class seat configuration.

Is overhead space in first class same as lower deck business class overhead? Last time I flew TG business class 747, similar size bag fit in lower cabin overhead. But didn't fit in overhead bin of upper deck.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Sitti
According to seat chart during booking, it showed 9 first class seat configuration.

Is overhead space in first class same as lower deck business class overhead? Last time I flew TG business class 747, similar size bag fit in lower cabin overhead. But didn't fit in overhead bin of upper deck.
The over head bins in the A zone of the 747 is smaller than the rest of the main deck but bigger than the upper deck.

There are no bins at all over row 1. There is a cabinet in front of row 1 that is the most likely place for your bag to be stored.

I always chose row 1 if I can when flying in the nose of a 747. In my view, the best seats.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
CPH-Flyer is spot on with his answers!
the overhead bins in F are not aligned with the seats. the one most in front is partially over seat 1 and the rest over seat 2. and yes it is smaller than the overhead bins in J on the main deck but larger than the ones on upper deck
ask the flight attendant, whether you can put your carry on in the closet/cabinet in front of the F cabin
seat in row 1 have the most privacy
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Thank you everybody!!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Sitti
Thank you everybody!!
you are welcome
Feedback your experience and opinion about your first TG F!
Enjoy!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

Don't be startled when the nose-gear retracts and make a sudden loud noise soon after take-off.....it is a "rite of passage" ...
And the door to the closet will fly open at around that time, too.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
And the door to the closet will fly open at around that time, too.
why does this sound so familiar?
start in a 747 and a A380 separate 2 generations apart...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.