Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TG 747 HS-TGF skids off runway at BKK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
TG 747 HS-TGF skids off runway at BKK

From today's Bangkok Post:

"A Thai Airways Boeing 747-400 carrying 97 passengers and 18 crew members from Guangzhou slid off a runway while landing at Suvarnabhumi airport in heavy rain late Monday. There were no injuries.
Pratana Patanasiri, Thai Airways vice president for aviation safety, said flight TG679 departed from Guangzhou at 8.58pm local time and arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport at 10.48pm. It was landing in heavy rain and slid off a runway"

Glad that nobody was hurt except from potentially the plane itself - should be interesting to see how soon they get it flying again.

On another note, only 97 pax on a 747 - I hope that is not representative of the average load factor...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
On another note, only 97 pax on a 747 - I hope that is not representative of the average load factor...
Maybe that's the problem . . . they need to put some sandbags in the hold for traction on the wet surface
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Peak of the rainy season...also today many delays
how does a pilot decide, whether to land or divert in heavy reain?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
From today's Bangkok Post:

"A Thai Airways Boeing 747-400 carrying 97 passengers and 18 crew members from Guangzhou slid off a runway while landing at Suvarnabhumi airport in heavy rain late Monday. There were no injuries.
Pratana Patanasiri, Thai Airways vice president for aviation safety, said flight TG679 departed from Guangzhou at 8.58pm local time and arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport at 10.48pm. It was landing in heavy rain and slid off a runway"

Glad that nobody was hurt except from potentially the plane itself - should be interesting to see how soon they get it flying again.

That's the first thing I noticed too. 97 pax on a B747. No wonder TG is losing money! There would still be empty seats on a A320!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
That's the first thing I noticed too. 97 pax on a B747. No wonder TG is losing money! There would still be empty seats on a A320!
Indeed - but I would hope for TG's sake that part of the reason for using a 747 on that route is cargo, and that it was carrying a healthy cargo load despite the low pax numbers!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM
The Bangkok Post article says "slides were deployed". One wonders if that was really necessary.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:53 am
Original Poster

The Bangkok Post article says "slides were deployed". One wonders if that was really necessary.
Wonder if it is correct though - judging by the picture it shows stairs leading up to door 2R.
Although pure speculation, it could be that slides were used (expensive solution though!) because the surface was so muddy that vehicles with stairs would be unable to move there until later on.

Anyway, no point in speculating
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting that they chose not to spray-paint the Thai logos black as they did back in Sep. 2013 when TG 679 (also from Guangzhou, but an A330) skidded off the runway landing due to a landing gear failure. 14 passengers were injured.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Guangzhou - BKK appears to be an unlucky route!

Was in the city last night. Thunder was very very loud (probably loudest I had ever experienced over a 20-30 minute period). This was @ 22h00ish as well... Very poor conditions I imagine
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Interesting that they chose not to spray-paint the Thai logos black as they did back in Sep. 2013 when TG 679 (also from Guangzhou, but an A330) skidded off the runway landing due to a landing gear failure. 14 passengers were injured.
Guess they learned from the horrible PR it generated - although circumstances are slightly different, as the A330 was not just a runway excursion, but more of a crash due to gear failure, and (correct me if I am wrong) was written off following the crash. At least in the past, it was standard practice to cover the titles of planes involved in severe accidents insofar possible (as an example SAS did the same with the DC9 that crashed after take-off from ARN back in the 90s).
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was in the city last night.

I was in Bang Phli last evening, ~ 5 Km from the airport, clear and dry.

That said, I've seen it raining here on one side of a road, dry barely 5 m away.

Guess they learned from the horrible PR it generated

Yep. Or HomePro closed so no black paint available?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Just wondering - I am flying out of DEL tonight and going to HKG, anyone to share how bad are the delay?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
below link includes a picture from the incident last night at BKK airport:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/airlines/
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/deta...gnews/30356098
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30356128

Last edited by Creole Spirit; Oct 9, 2018 at 7:44 am
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Just wondering - I am flying out of DEL tonight and going to HKG, anyone to share how bad are the delay?
currently 1-2 hours delay for departure in BKK
guess this will improve pretty soon as rain stopped
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:32 am
Original Poster

None of the subsequent pictures show that slides had been deployed, nor do the articles state anything about slides, so I guess the first report was wrong.
Avherald states that pax were disembarking via mobile stairs which is in line with what the pictures also show.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.