Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Smile - no passport number needed during booking?

Old Sep 1, 18, 9:41 am
Original Poster

I am a UK resident living in the UK and I have just booked a domestic flight from Phuket to BKK on Thai Smile. The booking is confirmed and paid for, but at no stage was I required to enter passport details. This is a first for me (and I have flown other budget airlines like AirAsia and Scoot) - should I be worried?

At what stage does my passport details get checked? At check in? Before boarding? Or is it because in domestic Thai flights a passport number is not needed?
Old Sep 1, 18, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
It's a domestic flight. You don't need a passport for a domestic flight.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Sep 1, 18, 2:25 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Technically, afaik you need a picture ID available for domestic flights if asked As a foreigner, passport is probably best. Thais have a national ID card.

However, ID for domestic flights rarely asked for.
Old Sep 1, 18, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer View Post
I am a UK resident living in the UK and I have just booked a domestic flight from Phuket to BKK on Thai Smile. The booking is confirmed and paid for, but at no stage was I required to enter passport details. This is a first for me (and I have flown other budget airlines like AirAsia and Scoot) - should I be worried?

At what stage does my passport details get checked? At check in? Before boarding? Or is it because in domestic Thai flights a passport number is not needed?
You do not typically need a passport number to make a booking an any carrier. You need one to check-in.

The airline will be glad to take your money, even if you don't have required travel documents. They will not let you board the aircraft without them, however.

Search this Thread