BKK-SYD 747 F Question

Old Aug 12, 18, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

BKK-SYD 747 F Question

Hello all,

First time in the TG forum!

I'm currently planning a trip for May/June next year and am looking at Thai F from BKK-SYD on the 744.
I'm aware there is a significant difference between the 9 and 10 seat F configurations, and obviously want to experience the 9 seat aircraft (I'm also aware of the phrase "being TGd" so I get it that nothing is guaranteed until you step onto the aircraft!)

Checking Expertflyer it seems that the 9 seat F is scheduled for Sydney consistently through March 30, 2019. Thai's booking site seems to agree listing the "Boeing 747-400 All Series Passenger"
From March 31 though, Thai's site switches to "Boeing 747-400" and Expertflyer shows the old 10 seat on both TG471 and 475 all the way through the end of the published schedule in July.

Also award seats are pretty open until March 30 and nothing available after.

So my question is simply is the Thai SYD schedule only actually loaded until the end of March or will Thai really be switching to the 10F config for April onwards?

Many thanks
Old Aug 12, 18, 5:23 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Welcome to the THAI forum then!

Probably only loaded until Mar 2019. THAI are notorious for loading schedules quite late in some markets ( eg NZ in my experience). As for award seat availability, and actual equipment who knows.

Personally, I don't mind either 747 F configuration. But I have yet to fly the 9F cabin long haul, only BKK-SIN and BKK-HKT (both cases J service, but in F seat as ROP Gold) .

At present I can't book AKL-BKK-SIN in April 2019 other than in full Y ($NZ 7,000-ish). So I have had to book AKL-BKK-AKL, and nest BKK-SIN-BKK inside it. I know that price is about the same for the same fare class. Although I have other plans at present for my ROP Gold upgrade, if I end up having to choose to use it on the April trip, then it can only be applied to AKL-BKK-AKL, and not the full journey - which would then be annoying (but I am resigned to this).
atco likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Aug 12, 18 at 9:08 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 12, 18, 8:21 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
i do not think at all that they will switch to the 10 seats (non suite) version after march 30; it's just a matter of loading
you have good chances to get on the 9 seats suite version
- TG has more 747 with suites left than non suites
- suites version is mainly used for the routes, where they sell F like SYD and MUC; non suites version for routes where they do not sell F like BOM

beeing myself on both versions several times, I really would not care too much about that. I actually prefer the non suites version for a day flight
atco likes this.
Old Aug 12, 18, 11:46 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Silver (VA), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by atco View Post
I'm currently planning a trip for May/June next year and am looking at Thai F from BKK-SYD on the 744.
I'm aware there is a significant difference between the 9 and 10 seat F configurations, and obviously want to experience the 9 seat aircraft (I'm also aware of the phrase "being TGd" so I get it that nothing is guaranteed until you step onto the aircraft!)

So my question is simply is the Thai SYD schedule only actually loaded until the end of March or will Thai really be switching to the 10F config for April onwards?
In my experience you'll know the day before your flight (if you're lucky); they can and will change the aircraft at will, and six months from now is way too early to make any assumptions that it will even be a 747 aircraft
Old Aug 12, 18, 11:56 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ P
The route to SYD is handled by 747/9F a/c unless there’s an operational change which happens quite often.
747/10F are older than 747/9F so theoretically they will leave TG fleet earlier.
Old Aug 13, 18, 5:47 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Spire, AC E50K, AA, AM-Gold, HH-Diamond, SPG, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by flyerby View Post
The route to SYD is handled by 747/9F a/c unless there’s an operational change which happens quite often.
747/10F are older than 747/9F so theoretically they will leave TG fleet earlier.
I have a reservation on flight TG471 from BKK to SYD on September 16th and it is scheduled as a 747-400 (10F) according to the seating plan. The TG timetable from September and beyond shows the morning flight (TG471) as the 747-400 and the evening flight (TG475) as the 747-400 All Series Passenger version.

Are you suggesting that I could get the suites instead of the pods?
Old Aug 13, 18, 6:33 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ P
Originally Posted by MXM135 View Post
The TG timetable from September and beyond shows the morning flight (TG471) as the 747-400 and the evening flight (TG475) as the 747-400 All Series Passenger version.
I wasn’t aware that TG is switching TG471/2 back to 747/10F from September.
Old Aug 13, 18, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I prefer the old F to the new. Seats seem to be more comfortable. I wouldn't be worried about any potential change.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Aug 13, 18, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great information everyone. Greatly appreciated

Search this Thread