THAI now has 'opt-out' travel insurance

Old Aug 7, 18, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Angry THAI now has 'opt-out' travel insurance

I made a booking last night and was very surprised that immediate prior to the payment page that THAI now has a travel insurance offer, which is automatically included in the price. I purchased my long haul ticket last week and didn't notice this step.

This requires the buyer to proactively 'opt out' or else the cost of he insurance will be added. An automatically added 'opt-in' insurance can be cynically seen as simply a revenue gathering tool.....

I recall Air NZ took a hammering from its customers on the same issue, and subsequently was required to change this to a default of nothing and the customer must choose to 'opt in'.

Screenshot attached (for BKK-SIN return) - please note I had already de-selected the insurance offer when I took the screenshot!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Aug 7, 18 at 2:18 am Reason: Added in not noticing this last week
Old Aug 7, 18, 4:32 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
That would be illegal to do in the EU, so I assume this is only active in select markets.
Old Aug 7, 18, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
That would be illegal to do in the EU, so I assume this is only active in select markets.
That might explain why I am sure I didnt see this when buying my long haul ticket from NZ AKL-BKK, whereas this other booking with the insurance was BKK-SIN so sold from the Thai market.
Old Aug 7, 18, 6:21 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
That might explain why I am sure I didnt see this when buying my long haul ticket from NZ AKL-BKK, whereas this other booking with the insurance was BKK-SIN so sold from the Thai market.
I would imagine that New Zealand consumer protection would cover this as well. Especially if Air New Zealand has already been in stormy weather over this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Pretty much anything which is "opt out" is undesireable and a bad deal. If it were desireable and a good deal, there would be no need to engage in the conduct and risk, as it pretty uniformly does, angering customers.

Complain to the carrier and to the local transport and consumer authorities.
Old Aug 7, 18, 6:57 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
TG Management is pretty immune against considerations about consumer protection as well as learning from bad experiences and mistakes other airlines have made
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Pretty much anything which is "opt out" is undesireable and a bad deal. If it were desireable and a good deal, there would be no need to engage in the conduct and risk, as it pretty uniformly does, angering customers.

In Thailand? Seriously? Good luck with that.
BinSabai and RTWFF like this.
Old Aug 8, 18, 5:15 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Living for over 20 years in Thailand, I have never heard of consumer authorities!
as a foreigner you have to be careful to criticize large corporations in Thailand, otherwise they will file a defamation suit against you and you are not allowed to leave the country until the court case is over….
RTWFF likes this.

Search this Thread