FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Award Nominee Lounge Access (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1923558-award-nominee-lounge-access.html)

Cuba64 Aug 5, 2018 5:03 am

Award Nominee Lounge Access

Hi All,

I've just registered, after reading the flyertalk forums for many years, I finally have a question that I cant find an answer to...

Myself and my wife both collect miles on the ROP programme. Last year we flew with my mother so I set her up on the programme too... She has almost enough miles for 2 people to access the lounges at BKK. As I'm pretty much in control of her account, I was wondering if I could spend her miles for me and my wife to access the lounges?

We're flying LHR-BKK BKK-NRT KIX-BKK BKK-LHR in October all on Thai and am expecting to spend quite a bit of time in BKK. I have set us both up as nominees and can transfer in the extra miles from a CC rewards club programme or buy them if it is possible.

Many thanks

Cuba64 Aug 5, 2018 8:33 am

The info on Thai Airways/Royal Orchid Plus website:

Use arrow down for read the content or use tab key to next menu

Lounge Access in Bangkok

Relax before your THAI flight departure from Bangkok when redeeming Royal Orchid Plus miles for Royal Silk Lounge access.
If you hold Member or Silver status lounge access at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok is just 6,500 miles per entry, and access for each accompanying guest may also be redeemed at the same 6,500 miles.

Airport lounge access by Gold and Platinum status members will continue unchanged, complimentary access with 1 accompanying guest. However Gold and Platinum members may redeem miles for lounge access for additional guests at 5,500 miles per entry.

When departing from Bangkok on a THAI operated domestic or international flight, present your boarding pass and Royal Orchid Plus digital or plastic card to lounge staff and redeem instantly.
The Royal Silk Lounge in Concourses A can be accessed with departures on THAI operated domestic flights. The Royal Silk Lounges in Concourses C and E can be accessed with departures on THAI operated international flights.

A good start to your journey with THAI, relaxing airport lounge access using your Royal Orchid Plus miles.

Conditions: Lounge access when redeeming miles is subject to seating availability and may be limited or not available during peak flight departure times. Lounge access when redeeming miles is valid for up to 2.5 hours prior to flight departure. Concourse E and C lounge are open from 05:00 to 02:00 unless otherwise advised. Spa and massage services are not included when redeeming miles for lounge access.

Thai-Kiwi Aug 5, 2018 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Cuba64 (Post 30049241)
Hi All,

I've just registered, after reading the flyertalk forums for many years, I finally have a question that I cant find an answer to...

Myself and my wife both collect miles on the ROP programme. Last year we flew with my mother so I set her up on the programme too... She has almost enough miles for 2 people to access the lounges at BKK. As I'm pretty much in control of her account, I was wondering if I could spend her miles for me and my wife to access the lounges?

We're flying LHR-BKK BKK-NRT KIX-BKK BKK-LHR in October all on Thai and am expecting to spend quite a bit of time in BKK. I have set us both up as nominees and can transfer in the extra miles from a CC rewards club programme or buy them if it is possible.

Many thanks

Short answer is no if ‘she’ is your mother-in-law (who would need to be flying as well). If ‘she’ is your wife, then yes.

My wife did this for herself and one adult son last year, and the process happens at the Lounge. Whilst I consider lounge access poor value (compared to award travel), she had no plans or use for her few miles so it made sense to burn them.

Cuba64 Aug 5, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks for the reply... and thankfully it wasn’t the mother-in-law.

I doubt my mum will ever have a use for these miles... I’ll try and redeem them at the lounge still. Yo never know, enough points for one of us. If they don’t let me, I’m sure I can get some sort of toy or model from the shop as a gift for my nephew.

We’re booked on the early flight to NRT so was hoping we could get to the airport early and make use of the lounge to freshen up and get breakfast. Will make sure we’re not too early now.

We’re saving for air rewards, a flight or upgrade which should be available on the return to LHR... how likely are we to get an upgrade with a weeks notice?

Thai-Kiwi Aug 5, 2018 3:56 pm

Asking to use your mother's points for lounge access if she isn't there is likely to fail as it is very likely a breach of ROP's terms & conditions. besides, I suspect the account holder has to be flying - otherwise anybody who has a friend with excess ROP miles could give/sell access.

That said, I suggest you try perhaps getting a letter from her authoring this use of her miles to show the staff could assist. (sorry about the mother-in-law mix-up!)

For the upgrade/reward you ask about:

what sector?
how many people?
what class from/to?

BKK-LHR is pretty popular and awards are often booked 9-11 months in advance - a lot depends on whether it is a holiday season and day of the week. A week out seems unlikely, but you could be lucky.

IMHO, using miles for upgrade is poor value compared to an outright award. But again, if you are unlikely to earn more then burn them as you wish!

BinSabai Aug 5, 2018 8:07 pm

Upgrades will have slightly better availability than awards.
but for one week in advance you will need a lot of luck and a good timing (low season, right day of the week)
good luck anyway!

Cuba64 Aug 6, 2018 1:01 am

I fly LHR-BKK two or three times a year. I don't enjoy economy but don’t really like the price tag with business class.

I know it’s probably poor value to use points for upgrades and lounge access but if it makes one of them 12 hour flights a bit more pleasurable...

Looking at my tickets... an upgrade won’t be possible on the BKK-LHR leg. I bought multi city with classes T and K.

75% miles and I guess a bonus at the end for retaining status. Maybe next time I can use them.

Thai-Kiwi Aug 6, 2018 3:10 am

T or K class upgrade BKK-LHR or vv is 50,000 miles, or a little over 5 return K/T class trips at 75% miles earn (2x4500=9000). You might consider paying a little more for q class for 100% miles earn, and if you have time try to include an extended destination for not much more money - and have a stop over in BKK for work inbound/outbound.

So, depending on price, book a multi-city with an easy same day turnaround destination ( e.g. Australia), for example with routing LHR-BKK-SYD (6-12 hours at 'destination)-BKK (stopover as long as required for work)-LHR

At that rate of flying, you should hit ROP Gold and then be better placed...

Cuba64 Aug 6, 2018 3:45 am

Am I right in thinking even spent miles will still count towards status?

BinSabai Aug 6, 2018 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Cuba64 (Post 30052278)

no!

Thai-Kiwi Aug 6, 2018 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Cuba64 (Post 30052278)

Yes, if I understand your question correctly.

Status is determined by Qualifying Miles earned, such as through appropriate airfare class. Other bonus miles (like Silver re-qualification) don't count towards status.

Status is calculated from miles earned in the assessment periods (there are 3) - however if you spend them right away this should not affect calculation of progress towards status AFAIK. So, you could earn 8000 miles on your trip LHR-BKK-KIX and immediately spend them on lounge access in BKK on the return, but you still separately have progressed towards re-qualification of Silver/Gold.

BinSabai Aug 6, 2018 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 30052414)
Yes, if I understand your question correctly.
Status is determined by Qualifying Miles earned, such as through appropriate airfare class. Other bonus miles (like Silver re-qualification) don't count towards status.
Status is calculated from miles earned in the assessment periods (there are 3) - however if you spend them right away this should not affect calculation of progress towards status AFAIK. So, you could earn 8000 miles on your trip LHR-BKK-KIX and immediately spend them on lounge access in BKK on the return, but you still separately have progressed towards re-qualification of Silver/Gold.

he is talking about miles SPENT!
my definition would be:
miles EARNED count towards status and awards but not again, when they are spent

Cuba64 Aug 6, 2018 8:35 am

Sorry, bad English.

Miles earned count towards status even if you spend them. Not including bonus or credit card rewards.

By the way, there is a premotion for 500 miles on now. All you have to do is update your profile... I think it’s just agreeing to receive emails.

BinSabai Aug 6, 2018 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cuba64 (Post 30052929)
Sorry, bad English.

Miles earned count towards status even if you spend them. Not including bonus or credit card rewards.

By the way, there is a premotion for 500 miles on now. All you have to do is update your profile... I think it’s just agreeing to receive emails.

this is 100% correct!

Main Wheel Aug 7, 2018 12:12 pm

Have you thought about purchasing a Miracle Lounge pass instead of using points for Thai Lounge entry. The Thai lounges really are quite sad compared to the two new Miracle lounges on the D concourse. I would recommend this anyway of the week!