FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   New champagne in TG Business (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1922193-new-champagne-tg-business.html)

BinSabai Jul 28, 2018 12:19 am

New champagne in TG Business

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...30b1c1090d.jpg
was quite surprised to get a rosé champagne as drink after boarding. it did not taste so great to me and in general, I also do not like rosé wines. my second glass was a "widow" Clicquot after take off
also first time ever I got a rosé champagne on an airplane
the champagne is from Canard-Duchêne

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...81c33098a0.jpg

Thai-Kiwi Jul 28, 2018 12:37 am

@BinSabai, was this a trial did the cabin crew say? And which route was it served?

Cheers, TK

BinSabai Jul 28, 2018 12:48 am

the FA did not know anything and i had the impression that she was confused and saw the first time such a "chomphu" champagne… I did not bother the purser as she was busy with the owner of a multi billion company....
route ZRH BKK

SKT-DK Jul 28, 2018 2:42 am

They have had the rosè option for a while now - I’ve had it when they ran out (yes, that’s becoming the norm) of regular champagne on both DPS and DXB flights recently. I find it decent enough as a break away from the standard one, but only if it is really cold.

Flyingbiker Jul 28, 2018 1:22 pm

They had plenty of both on AKL BKK a couple of weeks back.

BinSabai Jul 30, 2018 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Flyingbiker (Post 30022653)
They had plenty of both on AKL BKK a couple of weeks back.

and what did they serve after boarding?

BinSabai Jul 30, 2018 6:35 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 30021357)
They have had the rosè option for a while now - I’ve had it when they ran out (yes, that’s becoming the norm) of regular champagne on both DPS and DXB flights recently. I find it decent enough as a break away from the standard one, but only if it is really cold.

yes indeed, champagne that is not cold enough is horrible. even more important than for white wine.
In my experience champagne is most of the time perfectly cold in First, but in J too often not cold enough, which is of course a negligence of the FA

worst drink service in my experience have some chinese carrier, where you get hot orange Juice, white wine at around 23 C and very cold red wine

SKT-DK Jul 30, 2018 10:08 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 30027327)
yes indeed, champagne that is not cold enough is horrible. even more important than for white wine.
In my experience champagne is most of the time perfectly cold in First, but in J too often not cold enough, which is of course a negligence of the FA

worst drink service in my experience have some chinese carrier, where you get hot orange Juice, white wine at around 23 C and very cold red wine

Agree completely - in F they bother putting it on ice to keep cold, but in J all too often the bottle is just left outside on a trolley in the valley with the rest of the wine.

I do not understand the warm white, cold red philosophy either - seems quite bizarre. Maybe they want to be opposite? Haha

BinSabai Jul 30, 2018 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 30027962)
Agree completely - in F they bother putting it on ice to keep cold, but in J all too often the bottle is just left outside on a trolley in the valley with the rest of the wine.

I do not understand the warm white, cold red philosophy either - seems quite bizarre. Maybe they want to be opposite? Haha

I had also warm beer in China... in fact they looked at me in surprise, when I ordered cold beer during winter time...
had once breakfast with fried eggs, toast, coffee and the only warm thing of the entire breakfast was....the orange juice

Flyingbiker Aug 4, 2018 4:43 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 30027227)
and what did they serve after boarding?

The rose was offered but they got a glass of veuve clicot on request.

BinSabai Aug 4, 2018 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Flyingbiker (Post 30046286)
The rose was offered but they got a glass of veuve clicot on request.

so they asked?
we were just asked for drinks, and those who choose champagne got a glass of Rosé...no choices given

dsquared37 Aug 7, 2018 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 30029997)
I had also warm beer in China... in fact they looked at me in surprise, when I ordered cold beer during winter time...

Reminds of a stay in Kunming many years ago. The guesthouse indicated there was a fridge with beer and other drinks and it was on the honor system; the fridge wasn't turned on though and everything was at room temp because "cold drinks aren't good for you."

BinSabai Aug 8, 2018 4:10 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 30059291)
Reminds of a stay in Kunming many years ago. The guesthouse indicated there was a fridge with beer and other drinks and it was on the honor system; the fridge wasn't turned on though and everything was at room temp because "cold drinks aren't good for you."

during cold season?
Not sure that they really wanted to save electricity by not turning on the fridge. It is just not custom to serve ice cold drinks during winter time in China!
of course this has changed in hotels with a lot of foreigners

dsquared37 Aug 8, 2018 4:22 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 30060140)
during cold season?
Not sure that they really wanted to save electricity by not turning on the fridge. It is just not custom to serve ice cold drinks during winter time in China!
of course this has changed in hotels with a lot of foreigners

We're definitely getting OT here (my bad) but I have no illusion it was to save electricity. If I recollect it was during a few cold, rainy days in spring at the end of a backpack excursion and my comment to a fellow foreigner was "if they could serve the beer boiling hot they would."

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Aug 13, 2018 7:37 am

Rose was available on all my flights recently - ICN, TPE and MEL. Both to and from BKK. VC was offered as the standard pre-departure drink, but the rose was opened on request.

Ex ICN no alcoholic beverages served prior to departure. Local regulations apparently (but I don't remember the same restriction on CX).