Wiki Posts
Search

Always Loved Thai, Now Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Always Loved Thai, Now Disappointed

I have flown Thai from Europe to BKK for many years, always in First and I loved the product, service and food. This month I flew Thai from BKK to Brussels on the new A350 in Business and was looking forward to it. I was totally disappointed in it. The service was wonderful, but the seat was so narrow, small and confining. It has to be one of the worst Business Class seats I have seen. When I saw the menu I was also disappointed. I am allergic to any kind of seafood and just about every course and main course was some form of seafood or fish. There was no beef, pasta or chicken. They offered me an Economy class dinner. I did not pay for Business Class to receive Economy meals. I realize that in Asia the diet is very heavy in seafood but when flying to Europe they should include basic Western meals.

Since First is going away (fewer A380's to FRA), I would not take Thai in Business again.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I have flown Thai from Europe to BKK for many years, always in First and I loved the product, service and food. This month I flew Thai from BKK to Brussels on the new A350 in Business and was looking forward to it. I was totally disappointed in it. The service was wonderful, but the seat was so narrow, small and confining. It has to be one of the worst Business Class seats I have seen. When I saw the menu I was also disappointed. I am allergic to any kind of seafood and just about every course and main course was some form of seafood or fish. There was no beef, pasta or chicken. They offered me an Economy class dinner. I did not pay for Business Class to receive Economy meals. I realize that in Asia the diet is very heavy in seafood but when flying to Europe they should include basic Western meals.

Since First is going away (fewer A380's to FRA), I would not take Thai in Business again.
Can European carrier have any meal without bread or can they provide food that suitable for Asia diet?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:06 pm

You do know that as per beginning of August A380 is back in FRA? This was just the seasonal switch.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by yauee
Can European carrier have any meal without bread or can they provide food that suitable for Asia diet?
Well at least you can order a special Asian-Veg meal. I do not like fish either.

So when flying with Asian carriers I would choose that option as well in case there is no menu before departure available or I do not like the options available.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

It’s really not unique to TG. Try the Japanese airlines and there’ll be fish on most courses. Singapore biz class is the same...the appetiser is usually seafood. The potential way around it is to order a special meal, or a note in your booking that you’re happy with the regular meal, but to substitute non-fish where necessary.

The new TG biz class service usually allows you to mix and match between the courses... so the western offering you can mix out something in a particular course if need be. Haven’t had a refusal to date (even though it appears the courses are fixed, this isn’t necessarily set in stone).

As for getting served an economy meal... i’ve had that before. Not the end of the world. And in some cases the coach meal has been better than biz class!
kaffir76 likes this.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jul 20, 2018 at 9:31 pm Reason: phixin spellin
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
While I usually fly Thai between Bangkok and Australia I've lowered my expectations year after year, especially around the food. The worst food innovation for me is that there seems to be only two fixed menus in Business Class - you can have the A & the B, or the C & the D, but not the A & the D. I always ask for A & D, or C & B because that's the combination I prefer on the day, and it usually produces consternation among the cabin crew, who, nevertheless, provide the combo I've asked for. I've noticed however that in Economy the choice for one meal is prawns or nothing, and the flight attendants regard me as some sort of food pervert for declining to eat prawns
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
surprised about such "disappointments" and comments!
just had this week also a long haul in J from Europe to BKK and only one of 4 choices for the main dishes was with seafood (I had by the way one of the best steaks ever on an airplane)
you have a broad choice of preorder meals or special meals to prevent getting exposed to any seafood

and yes feeding guests in countries like Thailand or Japan, it's rather difficult to avoid any plate with seafood on the table as those cuisines are very rich in seafood
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
surprised about such "disappointments" and comments!
just had this week also a long haul in J from Europe to BKK and only one of 4 choices for the main dishes was with seafood (I had by the way one of the best steaks ever on an airplane)
you have a broad choice of preorder meals or special meals to prevent getting exposed to any seafood

and yes feeding guests in countries like Thailand or Japan, it's rather difficult to avoid any plate with seafood on the table as those cuisines are very rich in seafood
Fully agree with you, same applies to SQ. You can be very sure to expect seafood or chicken. So you have to be prepared by checking the menu if available or make requests for special meals.

I did once request a non seafood meal on SQ and LH, but that was really a special meal not just a normal meal meal without seafood. So I am not going to do that again. When flying SIN-BKK on TG they had chcicken only and the flight attendant became very creative in preparing me something without chicken nor seafood. I usually do not eat both things, but depending on the meal I am eating it in case everything else is tasty. I am flying TG again in January, this time in F, and on the legs out of BKK I will just pre-order the Thai meal with the lowest seafood and chicken content. I do not want to miss that chance. Of course it would be great to be served a vegetarian Thai meal, but after my experiences with NH and SQ I think I will not order the Asian vegetarian nor the lacto-ovo meal.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by iamamadscientist
Fully agree with you, same applies to SQ. You can be very sure to expect seafood or chicken. So you have to be prepared by checking the menu if available or make requests for special meals.

I did once request a non seafood meal on SQ and LH, but that was really a special meal not just a normal meal meal without seafood. So I am not going to do that again. When flying SIN-BKK on TG they had chcicken only and the flight attendant became very creative in preparing me something without chicken nor seafood. I usually do not eat both things, but depending on the meal I am eating it in case everything else is tasty. I am flying TG again in January, this time in F, and on the legs out of BKK I will just pre-order the Thai meal with the lowest seafood and chicken content. I do not want to miss that chance. Of course it would be great to be served a vegetarian Thai meal, but after my experiences with NH and SQ I think I will not order the Asian vegetarian nor the lacto-ovo meal.
don't go to India as there your only option left would be mutton (goat)...
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
OP, if you have an allergy, you really should order special meals rather than relying on the menu.

Even items not described as seafood may contain it. Dashi almost omni present in Japanese cooking is made with a fish base, so even a beef sukiyaki dish on JAL could be a problem.
preahkaew, kaffir76 and Beltway2A like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO

Sorry to hear of your disappointment but I really do love reading posts that begin with "sooo disappointed" or "I'm never flying XXX again"!
OP, in your "many years" of flying TG, how did you manage your seafood allergy in the past? Surely, neither your allergies nor the meals on TG have changed that much over the years.

I've personally not had a flight where every course contained fish or seafood, as I am sure one of the mains would usually be pork or chicken/beef, whether the Thai (pork) or Western option (chicken/beef).

(Thanks for the tip on the Asian diet being heavy on seafood, I was totally not aware of that! )

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
OP, if you have an allergy, you really should order special meals rather than relying on the menu.
Even items not described as seafood may contain it. Dashi almost omni present in Japanese cooking is made with a fish base, so even a beef sukiyaki dish on JAL could be a problem.
+1
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:16 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by BinSabai
don't go to India as there your only option left would be mutton (goat)...
I thought mutton was sheep. Or, does it include both sheep AND goats?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by 1984SW
I thought mutton was sheep. Or, does it include both sheep AND goats?
in India/South Asia it is usually goat meat…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb_and_mutton

Quote:

South Asia

The term "mutton" is applied to goat meat in most of these countries, and the goat population has been rising. For example, mutton-curry is always made from goat meat. It is estimated that over one-third of the goat population is slaughtered every year and sold as mutton. The husbanded sheep population in India and South Asian countries has been in decline for over 40 years and has survived at marginal levels in mountainous regions, based on wild-sheep breeds, and mainly for wool production.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by kaffir76
OP, in your "many years" of flying TG, how did you manage your seafood allergy in the past? Surely, neither your allergies nor the meals on TG have changed that much over the years.
OP was flying F before and now complaining about J.
BinSabai and Cuba64 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby

OP was flying F before and now complaining about J.
F means even one more seafood dish: caviar
Maybe starters in F contain a bit more foie gras than J's smoked salmon though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.