Requesting check baggage to be offload at layover

Old Jul 9, 18, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Requesting check baggage to be offload at layover

BKK-ICN-Canada

I have about an 8h layover in ICN. I want to be able to buy some liquids in Seoul and bring them back to Canada.

When I check in with TG at BKK, can I request my empty check baggage to be unloaded at ICN and then recheck once I pack the stuff in there?
Old Jul 9, 18, 11:07 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ P
FTer experience says that you cannot with TG send some to Canada and some to ICN but I think it’s a YMMV situation. If you are 2 pax then this could be an even smoother situation as you can tag the Canada luggage on one pax and the ICN on the other.
If it’s empty and not too big then just take it on board. Faster when arriving.
You’ll be able to checkin a bag in ICN if you don’t exceed your baggage allowance.

Last edited by flyerby; Jul 10, 18 at 5:52 am
Old Jul 10, 18, 12:35 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
ICN has very well stocked and reasonable priced duty free shops, alcohol and perfume or whatever.
so you might purchase your liquids while in Transit?
regarding luggage I agree with flyerby
Old Jul 10, 18, 1:40 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
To do this, wouldn’t the OP have to pass through immigration, retrieve the bag, pass customs, enter Korea - and then buy the liquids ‘landside’? And then back in check-in with the liquid- laden bag?
Old Jul 10, 18, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

I have to buy these few facial products from a specific dermatology clinic in Seoul. It's not something I can buy at ICN duty-free.

Well, if I bring a 30", 21", and a backpack, do you think TG will let me on with a backpack AND an empty 21"?
Old Jul 10, 18, 1:37 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ P
Originally Posted by seks View Post
... do you think TG will let me on with a backpack AND an empty 21"?
I think they will as they are not very strict with onboard hand luggage and you can always put the backpack into the empty 21 if its not too big.
Old Jul 10, 18, 2:05 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Well, if I bring a 30", 21", and a backpack, do you think TG will let me on with a backpack AND an empty 21"?
in J for sure, in Y chances are good
Old Jul 10, 18, 10:57 pm

I have to buy these few facial products from a specific dermatology clinic in Seoul. It's not something I can buy at ICN duty-free.

Will the cosmetic be less than the 100ml allowed by some airport authorities? It seems like you want to buy quite a lot and then carry-on rather than a check luggage?

THAI staff are usually pretty flexible at check-in and on-board. However, the authorities at ICN can be very fussy about the rules in my experience (4 years in Korea). if the cosmetics are going to be in you carry on luggage, well it could get tricky IMHO. Should not be a problem if you are checking the bag rather than carryon at ICN.
Old Jul 27, 18, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL Silver, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Let me add to this thread instead of starting a new one:

I'm flying from Australia to Seoul via BKK on TG, with an overnight layover in BKK. Will TG allow my to check my bag to BKK and then re-check it in the morning for the final leg to ICN?
Old Jul 27, 18, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

The bottles are 150 ml.

After much pondering, I've decided not to bring any extra luggage (hassle). I am just going to bring a small box that's flattened and packing tape in my backpack. Once I'm back at the airport, I will put the box together and place the bottles in there (they are plastic btw). I will the check that small box in. Not sure if I should bring some bubble wrap?

Are there any packing facilities in ICN? I'm trying to remember.
Old Jul 27, 18, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by etch5895 View Post
Let me add to this thread instead of starting a new one:

I'm flying from Australia to Seoul via BKK on TG, with an overnight layover in BKK. Will TG allow my to check my bag to BKK and then re-check it in the morning for the final leg to ICN?
No problems in my experience doing this ICN-BKK-AKL.

If the stop is less than 24 hours, and you enter Thailand and stay in Bangkok overnight, then there is a small chance that the THB700 departure tax may be collected when you depart the following day. YMMV.
etch5895 likes this.

Search this Thread