Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

First A330-300 retrofitted with full flat seat

First A330-300 retrofitted with full flat seat

Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by dcmike
Is that an across-the-chest seat belt? Only for take off and landing?
I have yet to see a 3 point airline seat belt whose diagonal part could not be unclipped for level flight. While that diagonal strap can be uncomfortable depending on one's build and position, I find it much preferable to a 2 point belt with built-in airbag, which are uncomfortably stiff 100% of the time, not to mention costly and wasteful (airbag inflators having a limited lifespan).

On another note, HS-TEN seems to be flying exclusively to NRT (TG 640/1) and Krabi.
I really hope the ICN 773's get new seats sooner than later, as their 2-3-2 layout offers zero privacy.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:05 am

https://spin9.me/2018/07/27/review-t...yal-silk-a330/

THAI review on the new Business class seat.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by IBstudent
https://spin9.me/2018/07/27/review-t...yal-silk-a330/

THAI review on the new Business class seat.
Previously TG A330 had 36 recliner J seats and now after the retrofit it’s 31 flatbed J seats.
Not bad at all
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerby
Previously TG A330 had 36 recliner J seats and now after the retrofit it’s 31 flatbed J seats.
Not bad at all
there were actually two versions
42 recliner seats (have been on this Version around 2 years ago on a domestic flight)
36 angle flat
but agree with your opinion/conclusion
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:56 am

Tried these seats finally.

- Seats whilst sitting is comfortable.
- Reclining is quite alright
- Lie flat = horrible.

I much prefer the A350-900 seats. Very easy to get in and out whilst in lie flat position. This one it was a little bit of a struggle. Also, the air conditioning wasn't very good on my flight. Not sure why it was warm throughout. Adjusting between modes, from lie flat to upright was also not easy! The button positioning is kinda awkward especially the full panel at the back.

The best thing about this? It seems for the first time TG finally has an AVOD system that is truly easy to navigate. Perhaps due to the shift to Android OS.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Flew the 330 refurb for the first time. Once I boarded, I asked to be switched to the front row which has a lot more foot space.

1) Overall pretty well designed.
2) Unlike some seats there's enough recline in the full upright position to be somewhat comfortable even on landing and take off.
3) Seat controls are Ok, but I must have bumped them a dozen times with my shoulder or elbow.
4) Everything is pretty well arranged.
5) Tray does not slide forward and back so don't try to switching from flat to recline while the tray is down.
6) Recline position is quite comfortable.
7) For me the sleeping position is the most important. I hate most of the new J class seats... especially the tiny footwells. TG was very comfortable (at least in the first row.) Extra foot room made it easy to sleep on my side or back and switch easily back and forth. Seat was little tight on my shoulders, but not too bad. I found it quite easy to get in and out of the seat.

Overall much better than anything I've tried on TG or other carriers' 787s or 350s. (Realize this is quite different than Pandalama's review. Might be because I was in the first row or maybe because I'm tall... 6'3")
BinSabai likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Overall much better than anything I've tried on TG or other carriers' 787s or 350s. (Realize this is quite different than Pandalama's review. Might be because I was in the first row or maybe because I'm tall... 6'3")
Non-bulkhead Vantage seats have notoriously small footwells.
A 'beanpole' friend with proportionate feet reports being unable to move his feet in the flat position in those seats, although his aversion for taking shoes off in public must not help; somehow his favorite business seat is the BA 744 UD CW window seat by the door, while a wide-bodied short friend likes the ultra-wide late 2000's SQ seat best. Different preferences for different morphologies.
I have also seen a large passenger unable to squeeze into a Vantage seat with 'furniture' on both sides, and have to move to an aisle one.

Personally I am fine with this seat, but think it is comfortable for a smaller percentage of the population than some other, less space-efficient designs. People with long feet (except bulkhead), wide hips, side sleepers who like a 'Z' position (especially not directly adjacent to aisle or window), and claustrophobes (some complain of coffin sensation especially in the thrones) may not fancy it.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
is this Economyclass lie flat?
How narrow are these seats supposed to be?
The diagram does make it look that way, but if you look closely the seats seem to be staggered and there are either four or five seats across in each row. So, that is potentially a lot more spacious than the older 2-2-2 angled lie flat configuration.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by monahos
Non-bulkhead Vantage seats have notoriously small footwells.
I think it's a worse seat than the B/E Diamond, the only advantage being that you'll get a number of single seats with the Vantage. In addition to the footwell issue, there's the "coffin" sensation (which doesn't really bother me) and typically very hard padding and an immovable armrest which really constricts the width (both of which do).

I assume TG got a very cheap price for a last generation seat. There are far superior products (e.g., Cirrus and Vantage XL) which have been approved for the 330.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think it's a worse seat than the B/E Diamond, the only advantage being that you'll get a number of single seats with the Vantage. In addition to the footwell issue, there's the "coffin" sensation (which doesn't really bother me) and typically very hard padding and an immovable armrest which really constricts the width (both of which do).
Not to quibble, but I found the padding to be not at all hard relative to other seats. Also I was able to lower the armrest (but it took some time to figure out how to do it.)

Also before moving to the front row, I was in a row further back and did not find the footwell that tight.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 5khours
I was able to lower the armrest (but it took some time to figure out how to do it.)
On both sides? I've flown this seat many times in various configurations and IME the window side armrest is fixed (and takes up a ton of space).
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
On both sides? I've flown this seat many times in various configurations and IME the window side armrest is fixed (and takes up a ton of space).
Aisle side.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
This retrofitted 333 is known under the 33R code, right?
What are the routes so far?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: TG Royal Orchid Plus
Originally Posted by Disinto
This retrofitted 333 is known under the 33R code, right?
What are the routes so far?
As far as I know, the 33R frequently operate these flights;

- TG249/250 BKK-KBV-BKK
- TG556/557 BKK-SGN-BKK
- TG648/649 BKK-FUK-BKK
- TG640/641 BKK-NRT-BKK (but it seems that they've switched to the 359 instead)

HS-TEP, today just operated it's first flight after the retrofit, we'll see what the other routes are soon. I heard that it's going to be PER, any updates on this?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:29 am
kkl

Originally Posted by The Travelling Fox

As far as I know, the 33R frequently operate these flights;

- TG249/250 BKK-KBV-BKK
- TG556/557 BKK-SGN-BKK
- TG648/649 BKK-FUK-BKK
- TG640/641 BKK-NRT-BKK (but it seems that they've switched to the 359 instead)

HS-TEP, today just operated it's first flight after the retrofit, we'll see what the other routes are soon. I heard that it's going to be PER, any updates on this?
if its heading on the PER route, would be wonderful

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.