Wiki Posts
Search

BKK to SFO on HX and UA, lounge access?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium
BKK to SFO on HX and UA, lounge access?

Our return trip from BKK to SFO has Hong Kong Airlines as first leg and UA as second connecting in HKG. As SA Gold, do we have lounge access in BKK? Our flight leaves at 3 am so it would be nice to be able to spend the time prior to boarding in the Thai lounge.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
If you are flying in Y then no lounge access in BKK.
Is this a single ticket or separate ones? Which airline issued this ticket (what are the first 3 numbers of your e-ticket)?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Tickets bought on UA, all on one booking number.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by LisaH
Tickets bought on UA, all on one booking number.
I would give it a try at checkin time. Try to checkin at the business counter by flashing your gold card and saying this is a *A/UA ticket. If they don’t kick you to the regular counters then ask for a lounge access.
I don’t think it will work but it definitely worths a try (at least this what I would do).
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
you can buy lounge access at Miracle lounge
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerby

I would give it a try at checkin time. Try to checkin at the business counter by flashing your gold card and saying this is a *A/UA ticket. If they don’t kick you to the regular counters then ask for a lounge access.
I don’t think it will work but it definitely worths a try (at least this what I would do).
Thanks! So you are saying that I should check in at the UA counter instead of HX?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks! So you are saying that I should check in at the UA counter instead of HX?
UA check in counter in BKK? They pulled out of BKK 4 years ago; since then only codeshare operated by other airlines
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
You will need to check-in with HX since they are the operating carrier. The suggestion was to use the HX Business Class check-in lines on the basis you are *G with UA and, if not directed away to the economy check-in line, then ask about lounge entry. HX uses the Miracle Lounge since they are not a Star Alliance member.

Is the HX flight a UA code share, or do both flights have a UA flight number? if so, this may help improve your chances of lounge access to a *A lounge.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
If one enters "SFO" and "BKK" for flight search at united.com, up comes low cost economy options like SFO-HKG on UA & HKG-BKK on HX, for $526 all in. The HX flights are not code shares. However nowhere does it mention that Hong Kong Airlines is not a Star Alliance member. This is the downside of flying this routing - no lounge access in BKK if flying economy, no mileage earning for this segment, ... .
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Is the HX flight a UA code share, or do both flights have a UA flight number? if so, this may help improve your chances of lounge access to a *A lounge.
Doesn't matter. There is no *A lounge access with an HX departure.
dsquared37 and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You can try but when they say no don't try to say you're entitled to it since you actually aren't. It's the downfall to booking outside of an alliance.

The Miracle Lounge is also a Priority Pass lounge if you are a member.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Thank you all. We will give it a try at HX business counter, with no expectation what so ever. It’s not a code share.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Pulled from the HX website regarding who can access their lounge:

Remark: Passengers must hold the boarding pass of Hong Kong Airlines on the same day and enjoy the related services during the opening hours of VIP Lounge for one time. The eligible passengers include:
  • - Business Class passenger travelling on Hong Kong Airlines;
    - Fortune Wings Club Platinum, Gold and Silver members travelling on Hong Kong Airlines.
  • Platinum members could invite two companions on the same flight;

Gold members could invite one companion on the same flight.
The OP is not entitled to use the lounge since HX is not a Star member (owned by Hainan) and is not flying in J class.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Thank you all. We will give it a try at HX business counter, with no expectation what so ever. It’s not a code share.
If you are ticketed in Y then you're not even eligible to access the HX J counter.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: UNITED 1K, THAI ROP GOLD, Marriott PLAT, Hilton Gold
I'm a UA 1K,and was on BKK-HKG-ORD in eco, on hong kong airlines and UA metal from HKG to ORD.. At check-in in BKK, I asked the staff if I had access to the lounge, she replied that iI am able to use my 1K status to enter the Thai airways lounge with the United 016 ticket.. I went to the lounge and spent only 1 hr in there as it was closing @ 3am and my flight was at 4am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.