Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK to SFO on HX and UA, lounge access?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Soundman76
I'm a UA 1K,and was on BKK-HKG-ORD in eco, on hong kong airlines and UA metal from HKG to ORD.. At check-in in BKK, I asked the staff if I had access to the lounge, she replied that iI am able to use my 1K status to enter the Thai airways lounge with the United 016 ticket.. I went to the lounge and spent only 1 hr in there as it was closing @ 3am and my flight was at 4am.
quite generous as there was no obligation to let you in...maybe an exception as at this time there are not many passengers in TG's lounges
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by Soundman76
... she replied that iI am able to use my 1K status to enter the Thai airways lounge with the United 016 ticket ...
Originally Posted by BinSabai
quite generous as there was no obligation to let you in...maybe an exception as at this time there are not many passengers in TG's lounges
From what is written, it’s doesn’t seem generous but common practice. It could even be that UA has an arrangement in this case. Could even be that this only for UA G but not *A G.
If @Soundman76 can shed more light on the matter at TG lounge then we can know more. What was the interaction with the TG lounge staff upon entering the lounge?

Last edited by flyerby; Apr 19, 2018 at 6:37 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby

From what is written, it’s doesn’t seem generous but common practice. It could even be that UA has an arrangement in this case. Could even be that this only for UA G but not *A G.
If @soondman can shed more light on the matter at TG lounge then we can know more. What was the interaction with the TG lounge staff upon entering the lounge?
so you think UA has an official agreement and paid for the lounge access?
and keeps this as a hidden benefit that only those who aggressively or desperately ask for it get?
hilarious!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
and keeps this as a hidden benefit that only those who aggressively or desperately ask for it get?
hilarious!
United is one of the masters of keeping costs down through not telling their customers what amenities are available. They have e.g. removed all mentioning of amenities in Polaris, and stopped proactively offering, so only those who know what to ask for gets them. So, yeah I'd not be surprised if they may the lounge agreement, and keep it well hidden.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:59 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think you are familiar with UA lounge access options. Take a look at the following hilarious United club membership scenario where you can access a lounge if you have a BP with any airline arriving or departing. How hilarious is that? Want something even more hilarious? You are not limited to 1 guest but 2 guests or a spouse and all their children even if there are 7 of them (8 guests in total).

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Just because you don’t know the rules, it doesn’t mean that it’s hidden.

Take a look at the following link to see that TG in BKK is a lounge in the UA network of lounges. This point seems obvious of course but the link is important here.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con....aspx?Mobile=1

Take a look at the following link to see the same scenario as in this thread (UA status, *A flight HKG-USA and a UA network lounge TG@BKK) as written “A valid Star Alliance Gold membership card and a same-day boarding pass for travel on an international flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered)”
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx

hilarious!
Always happy to make fellow FT enjoy themselves

In summary: if you put aside the *A rules and look at UA ones considering it’s on a UA stock (160 ticket) and the pax has UA status, it then makes much more sense that it’s a viable option and not a one time.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

Take a look at the following link to see that TG in BKK is a lounge in the UA network of lounges. This point seems obvious of course but the link is important here.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con....aspx?Mobile=1

Take a look at the following link to see the same scenario as in this thread (UA status, *A flight HKG-USA and a UA network lounge TG@BKK) as written “A valid Star Alliance Gold membership card and a same-day boarding pass for travel on an international flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered)”
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx

I don't see any indication that there's a United Club in Bangkok in the form of a TG lounge. Nor is the TG lounge relegated to 'Other Partner Lounges' (obviously). Perhaps its due to not having coffee yet, but I'm not seeing any mention of TG in that link you posted.

Also the T&C except you posted is about 'United Clubs', not *A lounges.

I'm not saying your post is wrong (though I'd need convincing to agree) I'm saying I don't see what you're claiming on the page your linking to.

Acess to *A lounges require departing on a *A flight.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I don't see any indication that there's a United Club in Bangkok in the form of a TG lounge. Nor is the TG lounge relegated to 'Other Partner Lounges' (obviously). Perhaps its due to not having coffee yet, but I'm not seeing any mention of TG in that link you posted.

I'm not saying your post is wrong (though I'd need convincing to agree) I'm saying I don't see what you're claiming on the page your linking to.

I have had my first cup of coffee this morning, and I don't see anything in those links realting to the specific situation either. The TG lounges in Bangkok are not UA Clubs, so Star Alliance rules apply. The flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong was not on a Star Aliance carrier, so unless UA has a specific agreement for 016 tickets on Hong Kong Airlines, no dice for lounge access. Maybe UA does have an agreement though, it would just suit them well to publish it a bit clearer.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There is absolutely no special UA lounge benefit at BKK, and in particular no TG lounge access based on 016 ticket stock (with or without 1K status). The only applicable lounge benefit is the *A benefit, and that only applies where you have a *A departure from BKK.

To the extent this actually occurred, it was simply TG lounge staff either misapplying the rules or being unnecessarily generous.
dsquared37 and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:59 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think you are familiar with UA lounge access Options....Just because you don’t know the rules, it doesn’t mean that it’s hidden.
you are correct and I do not care about their rules...
luckily the deplorable situations, that I have no other options and am actually enforced to accept the suffering and fly UA become less and less for me
but here as other posters have pointed out we are talking about a *A lounge....
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I have had my first cup of coffee this morning, and I don't see anything in those links realting to the specific situation either. The TG lounges in Bangkok are not UA Clubs, so Star Alliance rules apply. The flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong was not on a Star Aliance carrier, so unless UA has a specific agreement for 016 tickets on Hong Kong Airlines, no dice for lounge access. Maybe UA does have an agreement though, it would just suit them well to publish it a bit clearer.
I beg to differ. It specifically says so (whether true or not).
The link https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con....aspx?Mobile=1 specifically writes the following:
1. “To see the full list of Star Alliance-affiliated lounges, go to the Star Alliance website” => This is obvious. TG lounge @BKK is on the list.
2. “Please see Club Access for entry requirements” with a link pointing to https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con....aspx?Mobile=1 => the only reference in the link to “Club Access” is the United Club (because of the usage of the word Club in both terms). The other references are United Polaris lounge, United Global First Lounges & Arrivals lounges are not relevant. So if you follow this thread scenario United Club>Star Alliance Gold status>[Frequent Flyer Program] United>A valid Star Alliance Gold membership card and a same-day boarding pass for travel on an international flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered).

Then bingo

Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
The link https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con....aspx?Mobile=1 specifically writes the following:
1. “To see the full list of Star Alliance-affiliated lounges, go to the Star Alliance website” => This is obvious. TG lounge @BKK is on the list.
2. “Please see Club Access for entry requirements” with a link pointing to https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con....aspx?Mobile=1 => the only reference in the link to “Club Access” is the United Club (because of the usage of the word Club in both terms). The other references are United Polaris lounge, United Global First Lounges & Arrivals lounges are not relevant. So if you follow this thread scenario United Club>Star Alliance Gold status>[Frequent Flyer Program] United>A valid Star Alliance Gold membership card and a same-day boarding pass for travel on an international flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered).

Then bingo

Youf Bingo is a dog unfortunately and dogs are indeed known to beg.

United Clubs are NOT to be parsed as *A clubs. United Clubs are simply United Clubs for which UA sells yearly passes. And HX is not a *A airline therefor there's no *A access.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
In this scenario there is no access to a *A lounge in BKK because there is no *A same-day departure from BKK. It's really pretty clear.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Then bingo
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then bingo

It does also make reference to Star Alliance rules applying to other airlines. The point here is that the Lounge in Bangkok is not a United Club, it belongs on the list of affiliated Star Alliance lounges, and as such please see the Star Alliance rules. The website has the link.

United could write this a bit clearer, admittedly, but the information is all there.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:51 am

1. To all that quote the policy about *A lounge access without knowing anything about UA policy, you are not providing a viable argument. The argument is not about the basic rules for a *A lounge (we all agree about it) but the extended rules to enter the lounge. Here's an example, a regular *A pax traveling in Y will not be granted a *A lounge access, but the same pax with a UA Club membership will be granted. Another example, TG@BKK lounge is a *A lounge but each time I travel with RJ (even in Y) a OW carrier, I'm granted access to this lounge. The main point here is that if UA is willing to pay then access will be granted so quoting just the *A rules is not enough to show there's no entrance to the lounge. Putting it into a more logical structure, the *A rule is granting access and not limiting it so if there's another rule or policy to grant access then access will be granted.
2. Which brings us to the 2nd point, what does UA provide in this case? When I read UA website, I come to the conclusion that they grant access. I never said that TG@BKK lounge is a UA Club lounge but I'm saying that based on what UA write they say that *A lounges are granted access by the same rules of UA Club access. True or not I don't know more than what is written. I welcome anyone who can show differently based on UA website.
3. @Soundman76 wrote "At check-in in BKK, I asked the staff if I had access to the lounge, she replied that iI am able to use my 1K status to enter the Thai airways lounge with the United 016 ticket..". Waiting to hear more info about his experience at the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.