Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

TG sets waistline limit for passengers on 787-9 Dreamliners

TG sets waistline limit for passengers on 787-9 Dreamliners

Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Maybe if TG starts flying to/from the USA again, using 787-9 ? ...... but we're talking over 5XL waist.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BinSabai
really? getting turned down as a life-changer and motivation to reduce weight?
for many at that size it is disease related or they are completely hopeless at any diet
Really. The day I knew I was no longer upgradeable would be a game-changer for me. But, of course, not for everyone--hence, maybe.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:26 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
they have still two bulkhead seats for bassinets
Which also have the same airbag equipped seat belts, raising the question how take off and landing are handled.

Wonder how TG will enforce policy on non-TG ticketed itineraries. Often very difficult to avoid situations where say UA ticket a J itinerary on a TG 787 flight as such a special policy would not be known to UA sales agents. Simply inform pax at check-in, or worse gate of downgrade?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by THD
Wonder how TG will enforce policy on non-TG ticketed itineraries. Often very difficult to avoid situations where say UA ticket a J itinerary on a TG 787 flight as such a special policy would not be known to UA sales agents. Simply inform pax at check-in, or worse gate of downgrade?
i do not think that they are going to measure waists at check in or at the gate! Who does not fit into the belt, will be downgraded to cattle class. If cattle is full, someone will have the pleasure to get upgraded!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by zombietooth
As someone who was in a serious vehicle crash where the airbags malfunctioned (one exploded), but the seatbelt worked as designed, this seems like a ridiculous safety measure on an aircraft where crash speeds are likely to be more than twice the fastest highway auto crashes. I just can't see an airbag improving survivability significantly, unless they also place one under your butt to minimize the vertical decleration on your body.
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2014/0...ircraft-seats/

Many new premium-class interiors are possible only because the airbag mitigates occupant flailing and because it passes injury prevention requirements.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane_airbags

(Note that a lot of these airlines mentioned are using herringbone/reverse herringbone in their premium seats.)

All told, I'm pretty glad commenting on FT (or anecdotes told by commenters) won't qualify anyone to design airplanes and their safety systems.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2014/0...ircraft-seats/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane_airbags

(Note that a lot of these airlines mentioned are using herringbone/reverse herringbone in their premium seats.)

All told, I'm pretty glad commenting on FT (or anecdotes told by commenters) won't qualify anyone to design airplanes and their safety systems.
I prefer the option of a 3 point seat belt for take off and landing to the airbag solution. The airbag is rather uncomfortable.... Thai already has the 3 point belts on the A380 in J. SK applied this solution as well to their new seats
andyptrav likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by THD

Going back to when TG operated 77Ws leased from Jet Airways - the first class cabin was unable to accommodate infants (no oxygen mask I think?). Pax booking through US Airways awards were told at check-in they couldn't fly in F and downgraded.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Going back to when TG operated 77Ws leased from Jet Airways - the first class cabin was unable to accommodate infants (no oxygen mask I think?). Pax booking through US Airways awards were told at check-in they couldn't fly in F and downgraded.
so you mean if in doubt, check in staff would measure waistline of a passenger? What happens in case of boarding passes issued by another airline, measure at gate?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so you mean if in doubt, check in staff would measure waistline of a passenger? What happens in case of boarding passes issued by another airline, measure at gate?
I don’t see any major problems with this... ultimately the test will be once the passenger is on board... if they don’t fit they don’t fit and will have to be moved (or reaccommodated on another flight).

The same thing no doubt happens with pax who book exit rows and have boarding passes issued by other airlines... the ultimate test is once they are on board. If the crew deems them ineligible they are moved.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:13 am
Original Poster

The same thing no doubt happens with pax who book exit rows and have boarding passes issued by other airlines... the ultimate test is once they are on board. If the crew deems them ineligible they are moved.
have you ever seen someone downgraded to a lower class because the crew deemed them ineligible to sit at the exit row?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

have you ever seen someone downgraded to a lower class because the crew deemed them ineligible to sit at the exit row?
I have seen passengers moved. But no - not downgraded (given most emergency exits are in coach class anyways).

But it is the principle of moving someone - and the final line, should the passengers somehow cross all others - is the crew. If you can't do up the seatbelt, what other choice is there. Unless the passenger deplanes.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:14 am
Original Poster

I have seen passengers moved. But no - not downgraded (given most emergency exits are in coach class anyways).

But it is the principle of moving someone - and the final line, should the passengers somehow cross all others - is the crew. If you can't do up the seatbelt, what other choice is there. Unless the passenger deplanes.
sure i agree with the principles and I have also seen people moved, but not downgraded. But I have also seen a lot of crews that do not care
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sure i agree with the principles and I have also seen people moved, but not downgraded. But I have also seen a lot of crews that do not care
You were asking the question 'what if the boarding pass was issued by another airline?' - I don't see that as a problem. The passenger either gets downgraded or doesn't fly when they turn up for the TG operated flight. The same as they did for the 77W with F. Turn up with an infant in F and you were downgraded to J.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

You missed my point. I believe that we should go with multi-point seat belts over airbags. Multi-point seatbelts are extremely reliable and not as easily damaged as the airbag pods.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My guess is that the business class seats on this aircraft type have airbags, which are danagerous for lap kids, and cannot accommodate seat belt extenders.
Except there are seat belt extenders that work with airbags. I had one on a Delta A330.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.