Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
where the bad news will first hit us from: https://www.routesonline.com/news/tagged/6661/thai-airways-international/
Print Wikipost

TG Bangkok <=> Sydney End of 747 Service?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by chris63

Pre order the Lobster anyway & have it for the pre landing meal, which is always dire.

Then chose from the onboard menu for the main meal
Is this really possible-do they load the menu meals as well? I asked for the cheese from the first meal to be served during the pre-landing meal (instead of dessert) and it was as if I had asked for them to turn the plane around and head back to Sydney! Lobster was also terrible ex-Sydney-this was last week. Hopefully it will be better for the return, but the other pre-order choices could be suspect too. Pity they do not have a lamb shank as they are pretty hard to screw up.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by riced
Is this really possible-do they load the menu meals as well? I asked for the cheese from the first meal to be served during the pre-landing meal (instead of dessert) and it was as if I had asked for them to turn the plane around and head back to Sydney! Lobster was also terrible ex-Sydney-this was last week. Hopefully it will be better for the return, but the other pre-order choices could be suspect too. Pity they do not have a lamb shank as they are pretty hard to screw up.
for sure it is possible!
there is also no problem to get the cheese during second meal; they probably just had problems to catch your request (many FA have problems to understand English, not to mention Australian English)
Catering ex SYD is not really that good, I had once the worst Beef Steak ever...
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by riced
Aboslutely
Multiple F flights ex SYD I did this & the catering ex SYD on the menu meals for me is way better than ex BKK ^
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:16 am

Aboslutely
Multiple F flights ex SYD I did this & the catering ex SYD on the menu meals for me is way better than ex BKK ^
not on TG flights!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by BinSabai
not on TG flights!
Agree. The food on my last flight ex SYD - a curry served with sides including Thai omelette and Chinese sausage - was way below average. It wouldn't even have made a good economy meal.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
not on TG flights!
Has been on mine 😊

Beef fillet on the last two 👍
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:24 am

Has been on mine 😊
Beef fillet on the last two 👍
lucky you! I had the worst Beef Steak ever ex SYD!
it was so chewy i needed a gallon of DOM and Bordeaux to flush it down
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:22 am

Hahaha I've had lobster which felt more like chewing a piece of rubber before.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
lucky you! I had the worst Beef Steak ever ex SYD!
it was so chewy i needed a gallon of DOM and Bordeaux to flush it down
I have eaten multiple steaks on a variety of airlines in J and F and no body can make a decent steak - so I avoid it completely now.

Originally Posted by pandalama
Hahaha I've had lobster which felt more like chewing a piece of rubber before.
Lobster is nice in theory, excellent for facebooking/instagramming photos but often a miss.

I now choose meals that are extremely saucey - that seems to help.

Oh of course you can wash it down with vintage champagne - just because you can.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanslegal
I have eaten multiple steaks on a variety of airlines in J and F and no body can make a decent steak - so I avoid it completely now.
I'd put JL, NH and OZ pretty close to being able to deliver a perfect steak. Sure it's not the just-off-the-grill finish, but they can do them medium rare and very delicious.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:54 am

if you expect an excellent steak (Michelin 2 stars up; Gault Millau 17 Points up) on a airplane, Forget it! But a decent is still possible...
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Fly JAL or ANA in J or F. They can make not just decent but also good steaks on planes.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver
[QUOTE=alanslegal;29942748]I have eaten multiple steaks on a variety of airlines in J and F and no body can make a decent steak - so I avoid it completely now.

The bone-in rib eye served in CX F class is in a class by itself (and one of the few, if any, food items that CX serves that I can commend).
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=UAuhoh;29943879]

The bone-in rib eye served in CX F class is in a class by itself (and one of the few, if any, food items that CX serves that I can commend).
Oh. My last one was in a class of its own. For all the wrong reasons though. But that was leaving HKG.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:02 am

as the posts in the subthread "eatable steaks" will soon outnumber posts about SYD: what about opening an own thread
alanslegal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.