Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
where the bad news will first hit us from: https://www.routesonline.com/news/tagged/6661/thai-airways-international/
Print Wikipost

TG Bangkok <=> Sydney End of 747 Service?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Since last Friday, HS-THN (the last A350 delivered and to be delivered) is doing its share on A350 routes.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by flyerby
Because TG can decide one thing and change its mind, there’s nothing for sure (except for the fact that someday in the future, all current 747 will retire)
One day in the future the A350 will also retire.

Speculation is good and so is the 747. A fine aircraft it is and hope it stays with us for a little while longer.
flyerby likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by davidj1
Speculation is good and so is the 747. A fine aircraft it is and hope it stays with us for a little while longer.
Because 4 engine a/c is not the way the industry is going, I’m dreaming about a 2 engine 777 with an upper desk in 747 like shape
Old May 21, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
the second shoe isn't falling just yet.....might we dream of 747 till end of year? or just get TGd in a few months?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:26 pm

Flyerby looks to be on the money. For a while my F flight in the first week of July looked to be only about a 5 to 4 on chance!

Now I am getting more and more confident the old bird will still be flying the route.

Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Main Wheel
Flyerby looks to be on the money. For a while my F flight in the first week of July looked to be only about a 5 to 4 on chance!
Now I am getting more and more confident the old bird will still be flying the route.
unfortunately the only safe thing is to say, flyerby lost his bet, that situation will be more clear within a short timeframe...
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
unfortunately the only safe thing is to say, flyerby lost his bet, that situation will be more clear within a short timeframe...
I am not part of this betting syndicate, all I want is for the old girl to operate to the mid July period through sydney! If that happens I will be very happy.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
+1. Coming back to SYD in F mid July as well.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:23 am

What was the bet? That SYD would keep the F?

I have an BKK-SYD F flight in late October and any information you have would be good - live in MEL so if it's not going to be F I will ask if I can change to the Melbourne flight!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by am0985
What was the bet? That SYD would keep the F?

I have an BKK-SYD F flight in late October and any information you have would be good - live in MEL so if it's not going to be F I will ask if I can change to the Melbourne flight!
the bet is as follow: flyerby claimed that after delivery of the last A350 eearly May, it would be clear within 2 weeks that SYD is going to loose 747 and with it F.
I bet against
at the moment (1. half of June), it looks that the 747 will be still around for the next couple of months at least
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:29 pm

the bet is as follow: flyerby claimed that after delivery of the last A350 eearly May, it would be clear within 2 weeks that SYD is going to loose 747 and with it F.
I bet against
at the moment (1. half of June), it looks that the 747 will be still around for the next couple of months at least
This is of course inaccurate and untrue. @BinSabai either wants so much to win this bet, enough to distort reality or he doesn't understand English well enough. There's always an option that I didn't explain well enough but Main Wheel understood me correctly so go figure. In any case, If I wan't clear enough, I apologise.

Originally Posted by Main Wheel
As for the bet, it was nothing important and was only a joke.

Originally Posted by am0985
So what's the consensus on this service? Do we think the 747 is safe for now on this route? Or are we still waiting for other planes to potentially be reallocated to this route?
Still waiting but not for long. The last aircraft is due to arrive soon and we’ll have more info in above 2 weeks.
bet nothing will be clear in 2 weeks!
Happy to take the challenge and bet that we’ll know more in about 2 weeks time
As you can clearly see, it wasn't about any claim of mine that "after delivery of the last A350 eearly May, it would be clear within 2 weeks that SYD is going to loose 747 and with it F." as @BinSabai claims but about whether "we’ll know more in about 2 weeks time ". We actually knew more in that 2 weeks time and therefore I won the bet.

What really puzzles me is how BinSabai claims that I think A350 is soon going to replace 747 on the SYD route when I said exactly the opposite.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...-to-june-2018/

The last A350 will be utilized for expending A350s to PVG.
In order to support twice day to SYD with A350 as the SYD article suggested, TG will have to remove about 1.5 X A350 from other routes.
My bet is that F for SYD is off the hook for now unless TG is planing something which is not as described in the SYD article.
... and my conclusion is that with the info at hand, F to SYD is off the hook for now. ...
* off the hook - escaped from a difficult situation (Cambridge online dictionary).
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:46 pm

hahaha..."doesn't understand English well enough"
I rather think that your English got probably a bit clumsy during too many TK and RJ flights....
with TG it is of course a safe bet that within 2 weeks timeframe you definitely know that you will not know more...
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:15 am

I bet against
I was quite relieved to hear that @BinSabai also thinks as I do. Since I expressed my view and he was strongly against it (without revealing what was his view), I thought that maybe he has inside info about the removal of 747 from the SYD route in H1 2018 as the SYD article suggests. The fact that PVG TG644/5 are still on 77W and didn’t switch to 359 although specifically advertised on routes-online to commence in June 1st, didn’t help my self confidence in this matter.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
TG F awards are wide open in October, and plenty of days in Nov and Dec. Bookable through UA and LM.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: QF Platinum LH Senator
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
TG F awards are wide open in October, and plenty of days in Nov and Dec. Bookable through UA and LM.
I've booked an F award SYD to MUC for October through Miles & More. Will cancel and rebook if situation changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.