Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
where the bad news will first hit us from: https://www.routesonline.com/news/tagged/6661/thai-airways-international/
Print Wikipost

TG Bangkok <=> Sydney End of 747 Service?

Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
TBH - old or new configuration - both are fine. Both have their pros and cons. The old configuration has a lovely open and spacious cabin. And a sense of theatre that has gone from many F cabins today. New config has more privacy, but you lose that sense of spaciousness (and theatre).
Thai-Kiwi and chris63 like this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
took it myself HND-BKK on the trusty old lady. It is the old cabin (there are two cabins, old and new.) FYI, the new cabin is as follows.
Same, taken by me on BKK-SYD.
I know the new cabin, which actually feels pretty dated, as I have flown in it on routes such SYD and HND. Never encountered the old cabin.

Last edited by worldclubber; Oct 24, 2019 at 11:28 am
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by worldclubber
I know the new cabin, which actually feels pretty dated, as I have flown in it on routes such SYD and HND. Never encountered the old cabin.
Yes, it never looked very new from the start, since TG planned to phase out the 744 & had no intention of putting new J in them, rather like LH & the Seat & separate Bed on the 744 upper Deck, although that was the best of all while it lasted
worldclubber likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by chris63
Yes, it never looked very new from the start, since TG planned to phase out the 744 ...
Well, it lasted longer than they had planned.

Had the choice to SYD between TG and SQ (and QF) in F on an upcoming flight to SYD and went for SQ, since I prefer the product and the future of TG's 744 seem to be fairly uncertain.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Well, it lasted longer than they had planned.

Had the choice to SYD between TG and SQ (and QF) in F on an upcoming flight to SYD and went for SQ, since I prefer the product and the future of TG's 744 seem to be fairly uncertain.
Good choice & even the future of TG itself ....
worldclubber likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by chris63
Good choice & even the future of TG itself ....
I think the latter point is emotive and speculative

As many here have suggested, I think the Government will not allow TG to collapse. But of course anything can happen in amazing Thailand
RTWFF likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:04 pm

Does anyone think they might put an A380 on the route, or are they all fully committed elsewhere?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DH188
Does anyone think they might put an A380 on the route, or are they all fully committed elsewhere?

I dont. Current routes to Japan and some European destinations are well committed.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

As many here have suggested, I think the Government will not allow TG to collapse. But of course anything can happen in amazing Thailand
Very true & totally appropriate on FT.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: LH HON
At least my flight in November SYD-BKK shows F0A0 on the 747, apparently much more bookings than in all of my previous flights on this route.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:23 pm

A few years ago, with TG471 and EK418 on the route, there were around 200 F seats per week.
Now it's just 63
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

The "anything can happen" part made me avoid booking F on the B747. You never know ...
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by RTWFF
AFAIK TG usually only changes its equipment for a route twice a year. The October changes have already been announced, which means that aircraft for flights up until late April next year are already known. I'd expect any changes for 2020 won't be announced until February at the earliest and come into effect later in the year
Im eyeing off a mixed F/J itinerary with the return on the 1st May. Maybe I should just have my brace pills and book it
Old Nov 22, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by nancypants
I’m eyeing off a mixed F/J itinerary with the return on the 1st May. Maybe I should just have my brace pills and book it
I'm booked for a SYD-BKK run on May 11 and hoping that the morning flight is unchanged. I don't really care about the aircraft during the daytime, but the 747 overnight in the return direction isn't worth the money/points; I'd hope they replace the 747s with A350s or Dreamliners and maybe run a second flight every day. My A350 to Melbourne yesterday was jam-packed, and they have two flights a day. Mind you, TG seems to be the airline of choice for half the population of India to travel to Australia. There were very, very few Thais on board
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTWFF
I'm booked for a SYD-BKK run on May 11 and hoping that the morning flight is unchanged. I don't really care about the aircraft during the daytime, but the 747 overnight in the return direction isn't worth the money/points; I'd hope they replace the 747s with A350s or Dreamliners and maybe run a second flight every day. My A350 to Melbourne yesterday was jam-packed, and they have two flights a day. Mind you, TG seems to be the airline of choice for half the population of India to travel to Australia. There were very, very few Thais on board
Also for New Zealand, TG seems a popular choice in the premium cabin for the NZ-South Asia market....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.