Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai to BA Luggage in BKK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Thai to BA Luggage in BKK

Am going to be flying from HKT to BKK on Thai (mainline, not Smile) and transferring to BA BKK-LHR on a separately ticketed flight. Connection is 8:45A-11:30A, so acceptable, but would be made nicer if Thai interlines luggage to BA at BKK. What is the current policy?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BurBunny
Am going to be flying from HKT to BKK on Thai (mainline, not Smile) and transferring to BA BKK-LHR on a separately ticketed flight. Connection is 8:45A-11:30A, so acceptable, but would be made nicer if Thai interlines luggage to BA at BKK. What is the current policy?
THAI is under no obligation to interline your bags to BA on separate tickets. They may do so if you ask, but don't be disappointed if they don't.

I am sure you realise that as far as BA is concerned you are commencing your journey from BKK, and so they will be under no obligation to assist if you miss your BA flight due to a delay in your HKT-BKK on TG.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
TG interlines luggage on separate tickets with other *A carriers, with others usually only on single tickets. However they might make an exception for those domestic flights to BKK but I would not take it for granted!
the 2h45' is sufficient to pick up luggage in BKK and to check in again and go through security and immigration
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I think there is a very good chance that TG HKT ground staff will tag your bags to final destination even when connecting to BA. TG @ HKT deals with onward flights from BKK on separate tickets all the time (presumably several times for each TG flight to BKK) but admittedly most will be connections to TG flights or other Star Alliance flights out of BKK. However, a BA flight from BKK will not make much difference to the TG staff and I presume that they will not object to tag your bags to LHR if you ask nicely (it is certainly possible to do but some extra key strokes are required). For your information I have had no issues checking bags to final destination (on separate tickets) when my ex. HKT flight was MH connecting to TK from KUL and KA to HKG connecting to SK the following morning (both times TG was groundhandling agents to the carriers ex HKT)

Good luck!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by SK AAR
For your information I have had no issues checking bags to final destination (on separate tickets) when my ex. HKT flight was MH connecting to TK from KUL and KA to HKG connecting to SK the following morning (both times TG was groundhandling agents to the carriers ex HKT)
Both of your examples are Int->Int while OP has a dom-->Int schedule. Will this throw a wrench in the gears? Who knows. However, while it might seem trivial, it will require OP to go through immi at HKT should TG consent and check the bag through.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Another word of caution. Many airlines are getting stricter on bag interlining. BA (and some other OW airlines) is the worst as they don't even interline BA to BA on separate tickets. What held in the past might not be current.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I doubt TG will interline.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
Another word of caution. Many airlines are getting stricter on bag interlining. BA (and some other OW airlines) is the worst as they don't even interline BA to BA on separate tickets. What held in the past might not be current.
But it seems that this does not apply to TG /in Thailand.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Both of your examples are Int->Int while OP has a dom-->Int schedule. Will this throw a wrench in the gears? Who knows. However, while it might seem trivial, it will require OP to go through immi at HKT should TG consent and check the bag through.
True, but dom->int transfers at BKK on separate tickets is so common that TG staff at HKT are used to deal with this (in the same way if it had been a TG->TG transfer.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
True, but dom->int transfers at BKK on separate tickets is so common that TG staff at HKT are used to deal with this (in the same way if it had been a TG->TG transfer.
This has nothing to do with difficulty. You pointed out examples to indicate OP should have no problem and I pointed out reasons why your examples are not the same and therefor might not be relevant. I hope OP is able to get this to work but it's not a slam dunk.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
But it seems that this does not apply to TG /in Thailand.
All I am saying is that what was true for TG last year, might not hold in the near future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.